Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
You meant to say " take several for a spin, then BUY the 1 that's gets you back to the dealership, without calling a tow truck"
Haha I took a firebird on a test drive once. Can’t recall how far I made t from the dealer before it crapped out on me. The dealer thought I stole the car because I was over an hour coming back. Thy ended up bringing another vehicle out for me to drive back. Needless to say I did not buy a car from that dealership.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Haha I took a firebird on a test drive once. Can’t recall how far I made t from the dealer before it crapped out on me. The dealer thought I stole the car because I was over an hour coming back. Thy ended up bringing another vehicle out for me to drive back. Needless to say I did not buy a car from that dealership.
I remember looking at a new firebird before they became known as rice wagons. A girlfriend had a new trans-am which was an impressive car. Drove really well. The car drove well too.

Was springtime, but still a ways to go before I would finish final exams. The salesman asked when I might be buying one, so I said in about a couple of months. It was the first and last time I got sworn at by a salesman, before he turned and walked away.

Needless to say I didn't bother buying the car. The Toyota I bought after graduation was a great vehicle though.

Last edited by Arty; 03-16-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:58 PM

Of all the Dodge trucks I've owned, over 90% are still on the road... the rest made it home. My best was a '91 Cummins Turbo Diesel and it just found a new owner after 490,000 K. Had a new '05 Ford 6.0 diesel that was a nice enough truck but had a total junk engine. Harder yet to pick a winner these days. Good Luck with your search.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:26 PM

I'm trading my 16 Ram in, probably for a Ford. I was dumb enough to buy the air suspension though. Whoops!
Old 03-17-2018, 09:14 AM

Default Dodge

I had a 2012 ram 1500 that was great..no problems. Just traded and bought a brand new 2017 ram 1500...same truck basically but crew cab. Hemi with 6 speed transmission. My 2010 f150 blew up with 100,000km...
Old 03-17-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP View Post
I had a 2012 ram 1500 that was great..no problems. Just traded and bought a brand new 2017 ram 1500...same truck basically but crew cab. Hemi with 6 speed transmission. My 2010 f150 blew up with 100,000km...
Funny I had the same truck for work and it was a piece! Check engine light came in while I was bringing it home for the first time. Around 30000 miles it developed a bad engine knock and for a 4x4 the thing was pathetic. Granted half of that I chalk up to those stupid dueler revo2 tires. The one thing I can say is the helix has power!! Sucks for fuel mileage but she would go when I asked her too!
My 3 for trucks all had over 200000 miles. 89 f150 the odometer went around several times, had a dead cylinder and still managed to get me 15mpgs. 96 ranger I sold with over 260000miles and all I had to do is replace a fuel pump and alternator. My current truck is a 01 f150 and I’m just coming up on 195000 miles. All I’ve done is an alternator and a fuse block that was due to a poor windshield install that leaked.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:01 AM

I like Chevy but have driven way more Fords in my lifetime .
Our current work trucks are Ford F150's and my personal truck is an F350 - only because it had what I was looking for in a truck .
Any brand in decent shape will do for me .
Cat
Old 03-17-2018, 11:05 AM

Good things and bad things about both. Last fall I moved from a Ford for 4 years into a pretty much loaded, (minus the air bag package), 2017 Dodge and not for any particular reason. My observations;

- Dodge has the best laid out cabin, best ride, best looks until you get into the higher end Fords like the FX-4 and Raptor, and I believe the best mileage. I just came back from Lethbridge locked at 118 most of the way at 12.8L per 100km. Hemi sounds horny and will smoke pretty much anything out there up to the 6.2's.

- For towing, transporting, and banging around in the bush I'd take the Ford. Dodge has gone to coil springs on most models. Nice ride but soft on the back end. Ford fit and finish is a bit better.

In the end both are domestics which in many cases means junk. None of them can stand with the Japanese for reliability and fit and finish but that comes at a cost and with limited option packages.

If I had the coin I'd probably buy a Hennessey Raptor just because. Nice grocery getter.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:25 PM

Drive what the Hutterites drive.

They have done their homework
Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post

If you could get volume discounts on hut-mobiles (i.e. Int Harvester) you'd get better terms on purchase, parts and maintenance too. Seems they've gone to dodges now as IH doesn't appear to make light vehicles anymore.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:

White Ford Econoline vans and silver Mercedes Sprinter Van/Bus thingy's?
Old 03-17-2018, 01:15 PM

https://www.newsday.com/classifieds/...kia-1.14536765

Ford!
Old 03-17-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:

And what do they drive? I know about the sprinters and panel vans, I see them all the time. but besides? I know the first nation folks up North like their F-150s....

Last edited by Delavan; 03-17-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post

No big surprises there. Domestics still don't have a clue or don't care. disposable society.

Personally I don't put a whole ton of stock in consumer reports but anyone who argues against Toyota/Lexus quality is just silly.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:56 PM

True. although I couldnt buy a tundra...gas pig.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Really??

I would have thought the opposite, good to know.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-17-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:

They are that for sure. They'll learn.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
No big surprises there. Domestics still don't have a clue or don't care. disposable society.

Personally I don't put a whole ton of stock in consumer reports but anyone who argues against Toyota/Lexus quality is just silly.
Sort of, when Toyota starts putting out truck sales that would compare to one of the big 3 sales of a light pickup then it would be a fair comparison. They all break and have problems. When you have only a small market then it seems like your better. Let's say they all have a 10% problem issue. Toyota only sells maybe 150000 units. Let's say Ford sells 500000 a year. Which one will have more complaints.

My mom has a older Toyata van. It has been reliable but not without issues. I can't get parts for it when was only 10 years old. She has an early model so they only used a fuse box for a small production date, next near to impossible to find used. Mechanically been good, fit and finish it really rattles, and getting rust. I've been limping it along as she is 85 and probably won't 've driving much longer.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:37 PM

Is anyone driving a Nissan Diesel?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-17-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Is anyone driving a Nissan Diesel?
Been following those for awhile, but the buggers still haven't offered an extended (king) cab. Just those goofy 4-door taxi crew cabs. And the available paint is either black or white. What, are we still back in 1928?

Payload is the same as my present truck which means I'll never be able to pull a gooseneck or 5th-wheel over 7000# with it anyway. Or even a receiver-pull to full gross trailer capacity at 12% hitch load. Not too many 7K gross# gooseneck campers out there. And if I wanted to make one, I haven't seen any twin-axle gooseneck high-boys with anything less than 7000# axles. Most of the gross trailer weight would just be the axles and frame.

[Un]fortunately, me present truck is too well-maintained and will probably be good for the next 25 years unless the nikosil cylinder liners wear out.

So I'll have to wait until a chinese satellite falls out of the sky and totals my truck in a parking lot, or I get t-boned by a cattle liner before getting a Nissan. Even then for the price, I'd be better off with some 1-ton or a V8 gasser. It's difficult to see the point of the Nissan unless you're doing a lot of lighter towing with a receiver hitch.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:51 PM

The next new light duty truck I buy will be some sort of Hybrid or an eco-diesel. I am leaning heavily toward Hybrid with the price of diesel though, it's ridiculous. A couple years ago I bought a few thousand litres of diesel at .66c, every time I went to town I brought back 2 sliptanks full. The with the discount or rebate it was closer to .60c. What is it today, $1.20?

Old 03-17-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
The next new light duty truck I buy will be some sort of Hybrid or an eco-diesel. I am leaning heavily toward Hybrid with the price of diesel though, it's ridiculous. A couple years ago I bought a few thousand litres of diesel at .66c, every time I went to town I brought back 2 sliptanks full. The with the discount or rebate it was closer to .60c. What is it today, $1.20?
What's gas?? $1.15??

Little difference in the end since the diesel will get better mileage. The part that kills you is the upfront cost of the diesel engine. It probably never pays for itself in fuel savings costs. Just notice it each fill-up.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
That's half the problem with diesel engines now. Users that really need it are a captive audience so they have to buy it at that price. And usually are commercial operators who are generating cash flow as part of vehicle operation anyway. In all fairness, diesel sulfur purity is better now than when prices were lower, but that refining effort is still only a fraction of the markup.

The other half of the problem is all the 'emissions' crap on the engine which wasn't there before.

A small diesel engine putting out near maximum most of it's life in a medium vehicle is the best mileage-maker you will find. Unfortunately those are rare to non-existent here, and choked with emissions stuff to cut their theoretical mileage in half.

A convention mechanical drivetrain powered by a big electric motor with a battery buffer has been in development for some time. The question is, what constantly charges the battery? In big service vehicles (garbage trucks) it's a small gas turbine like in Jay Leno's motorcycle. In half-tons a small diesel.

But that battery is still the core problem. I'd like to cut that size and capacity way down, and use tethered power like electric train pantographs to feed the motor on main highways and roadways. 'Off-piste' you could use anything like diesel, gas motors or even steam turbines.

I'd like an electric half-ton with a naptha-fueled steam turbine in the box driving the electric motor directly, through power electronics.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 PM

Happy with my 16 Ram Rebel. Love that hemi!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:32 PM

Default How much?

I looked at trucks recently. Has the world gone nuts? $35,000 for a fairly basic 1500 series anything, Ford, dodge or Chev seems to be ridiculous for what you get.

I bought a used (2012) Nissan Xterra to pull my trailer and put $20,000 in the bank. I just can’t bring myself to pay what is being asked for either of these new trucks, although Dodge seems to offer a better deal. Every brand out there will have their good ones and bad ones, so you will never get a definitive answer on which is best. Drive them both and buy what you can afford. Not a good time to go into big debt, in my opinion, especially for a vehicle. Terrible investment - no matter what anyone says, but someone has to keep the economy rolling along!
Old 04-11-2018, 08:43 PM

"A girlfriend had a new trans-am which was an impressive car. Drove really well. The car drove well too."

Now this is a guy who understand what cars are all about!!!!

Drewski
Old 04-11-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
True. although I couldnt buy a tundra....
Neither could I, I despise Toyota.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Thinking of a new truck. If you had to choose, which one would get the nod? Ford or Dodge. Going to be used for hunting, fishing, etc... Thanks for your input.

Had an 2012 f150 since new. Was good until approx 140k when the 5.0 engine started giving up. Ended up going back to toyota for longevity and reliability.

Good luck with your decision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2018, 10:11 AM

I just got rid of my ram 1500 with the eco diesel motor. It had all the bells and whistles. But the first problem was at 35000km the motor blew. Then I had to fight with dodge for 2 weeks before they would replace it. Left me and my family stranded in stienhback mb. Then the stupid def would always freeze in the winter also leaving me hopped.

So I went back to ford. It drives better more leg room better seats. I will never buy another dodge even if they have it to me for free. If that happens 100lbs and tanirite would be purchased and placed in the cab and I would blow that mofo up in a heart beat.

Gbuss
Old 04-12-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Lol. Was it me trying to sell you that car? I was peddling muscle cars for used car dealer in Victoria. Sold muscle cars (corvette, camaro, mustang) to all the Canadian Navy guys in Victoria. Had couple test drives with corvettes, where the car did not return. Embarrassing. Meet interesting people selling cars............