Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-28-2018, 07:07 AM

Default An Albertan I'd Like To Meet

http://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/jo...land-1.4552843
Old 02-28-2018, 07:33 AM

How many people does he think five acres can support? You might be able to grow enough vegetables on five acres to support two families, but good luck finding enough game to feed two families on five acres.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:56 AM
Banned

Enjoy the decline, he just angered a lot of people with that cheesy post, would not be surprised if he needs protection in the coming weeks
Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 AM
Banned

Default Not in touch with reality !

Joel obviously hasn't read the new federal budget .
Billions more to go to Indigenous peoples ..
They don't need no stinkin 5 acres . Pretty
soon they will be able to buy their land back.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:25 AM

Default stolen land

I am adamantly opposed to the whole "stolen land" statements. For eons before even the white man started to settle, the indigenous cultures fought and killed each other to protect their hunting grounds. Along comes the white man, who by way of treaty, settles for peace as opposed to wiping them out, and the whites have had to live with a legacy of "theft" from the poor red-man.
Maybe the redman culture is the way to go, and enemies should just have been destroyed.
I am fully aware that I am likely to get bombarded with "racist" slamming, but the race card is played both ways. I am tired of being one of those "white *****'s" and then having the government dip into my pocket again and again trying to fix a problem me and mine had nothing to do with creating.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:36 AM

His “white privilege” is tough to see through his “white guilt”.

LC
Old 02-28-2018, 08:40 AM

Oldgutpile's post is bang on.
I see this animosity between tribes every day .
Cat
Old 02-28-2018, 09:06 AM

The folly of his statement...

Quote:
In many jurisdictions, if an individual has accepted possession of goods or property and knew they were stolen, then the individual is typically charged with a misdemeanor or felony, depending on the value of the stolen goods.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
I am adamantly opposed to the whole "stolen land" statements. For eons before even the white man started to settle, the indigenous cultures fought and killed each other to protect their hunting grounds. Along comes the white man, who by way of treaty, settles for peace as opposed to wiping them out, and the whites have had to live with a legacy of "theft" from the poor red-man.
Maybe the redman culture is the way to go, and enemies should just have been destroyed.
I am fully aware that I am likely to get bombarded with "racist" slamming, but the race card is played both ways. I am tired of being one of those "white *****'s" and then having the government dip into my pocket again and again trying to fix a problem me and mine had nothing to do with creating.
Agree one thousand percent.
History is full of a conquering people just wiping out the people they conquered. We (whites) tried to play nice...admittedly we've made a lot of mistakes...now we're paying for it.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Banned

Lots of good Albertans to meet. Probably more good ones then bad.

I don't know what this guys motive is but I suspect it is more of a mockery than anything but who knows.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned

I don't understand what the offer is? Isn't a free home available to all indigenous people anyway?

A free ride through life, is that what this is all about? I honestly don't understand, and being a man who is not bound to a bed by any physical or mental impairments, I don't feel the need to sponge off the hard work of other physically and mentally fit people to support me or my wife and kids. As a matter of fact I'm teaching my kids the exact opposite, teaching them to rely on themselves to improve their situation. My son is 15 and looking for employment, maybe a job offer would help people more than a handout? That's just me thinking out loud tho.

FWIW, my lead hand who is running one of my larger sites is an indigenous fella who has been working hard since he was 17, and is supporting a wife and 2 children, he also has a nice new Toyota Tundra, all possible from just relying on himself.

PS, I don't understand how this guy got away with stealing that land? I've had to pay for all mine 😡
Old 02-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

PS, I don't understand how this guy got away with stealing that land? I've had to pay for all mine 😡
Good point.

If he is that guilty about it then sell it to them for some skins and pelts, a couple of horses, maybe some tools.
then move into a condo and feel redeemed.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I don't understand what the offer is? Isn't a free home available to all indigenous people anyway?

A free ride through life, is that what this is all about? I honestly don't understand, and being a man who is not bound to a bed by any physical or mental impairments, I don't feel the need to sponge off the hard work of other physically and mentally fit people to support me or my wife and kids. As a matter of fact I'm teaching my kids the exact opposite, teaching them to rely on themselves to improve their situation. My son is 15 and looking for employment, maybe a job offer would help people more than a handout? That's just me thinking out loud tho.

FWIW, my lead hand who is running one of my larger sites is an indigenous fella who has been working hard since he was 17, and is supporting a wife and 2 children, he also has a nice new Toyota Tundra, all possible from just relying on himself.

Nope!

Why should it bother anyone here what this fellow chooses to do with his own land?
Old 02-28-2018, 11:10 AM

people will do anything to get on tv now a days
Old 02-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Banned

a guy offers up a good deed and all people have to say is negative things?

This place can be the worst sometimes... why do people see negativity in something thats not?
Old 02-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Agree one thousand percent.
History is full of a conquering people just wiping out the people they conquered. We (whites) tried to play nice...admittedly we've made a lot of mistakes...now we're paying for it.
I think when I was reading back on "Treaties" I read there were many more natives than immigrating white people. The treaties were devised not to be nice, but to ensure safe travel for the immigrating whites as they knew at that time anyway, they would not really have a chance fighting the natives.

Last edited by bobalong; 02-28-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post

I don't know what this guys motive is but I suspect it is more of a mockery than anything but who knows.
I wondered the same thing at first. But then he says Alberta is so red neck and talks about the racism. I think he is serious, just doesn’t know much.

Share 5 acres.......what a dumb plan.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I wondered the same thing at first. But then he says Alberta is so red neck and talks about the racism. I think he is serious, just doesn’t know much.

Share 5 acres.......what a dumb plan.
Well I suppose he's free to do as he pleases. I would venture to guess that the Indians that have their lives together don't need to be part of a commune. Those that don't need not apply. I hope he's done his due diligence because he might find himself 5 acres shy of what he started with.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:46 AM

20+ years to pay off 5 acres near Barrhead?
Old 02-28-2018, 11:56 AM

I agree with you KURT that the world is a place now that if you don't make a move no matter who you are life is going to hurt.

.You have to step up and go for it,life is a hard game for every one on this planet and if you don't like the game tough luck because there is no other option.

So taking a few families and giving them a place to live was done 150 years ago and see where it got those families,in big trouble with all kinda problems.White guy wants natives to hunt with him and tan hides,sounds like he wants hunting partners to me without buying tags like the rest of us.5 acres may be big enough for a grow opp with these new weed deals coming in.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
20+ years to pay off 5 acres near Barrhead?
It must be 5 awesome acres,lets say 25000 for 20 years is 104 bucks a month,that's my cell phone bill without the cases.

Last edited by JD848; 02-28-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Nope!

Why should it bother anyone here what this fellow chooses to do with his own land?
I guess I meant treaty Indian as I know a few non treaty indigenous people who don't get free or subsidized housing.

I have no problem with this guy or what he's offering, I do however take offense to his use of the term stolen land. The white man stole nothing, what they are guilty of is the dumbest act of warfare in the history of man. Who conquers a nation to pay rent and forever be considered racist by the original occupants?

I didn't lead the charge to conquer North America but it is my home some 200yrs later. Most Canadians have equal opportunity to own land here, some have more than others, but none of it is stolen.

If you do find that someone has stolen your land, after you're positive you didn't just misplace it, call the cops and file a report, then hope the justice system works for you.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I guess I meant treaty Indian as I know a few non treaty indigenous people who don't get free or subsidized housing.

I have no problem with this guy or what he's offering, I do however take offense to his use of the term stolen land. The white man stole nothing, what they are guilty of is the dumbest act of warfare in the history of man. Who conquers a nation to pay rent and forever be considered racist by the original occupants?

I didn't lead the charge to conquer North America but it is my home some 200yrs later. Most Canadians have equal opportunity to own land here, some have more than others, but none of it is stolen.

If you do find that someone has stolen your land, after you're positive you didn't just misplace it, call the cops and file a report, then hope the justice system works for you.
Wow snow flake. Im offended by you for being offended... i didnt realize people are so sensitive around here.

A guy wants to do some good in the world and everyone heres offended and upset at him.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:55 PM

Default perhaps Kurt could explain

When this conquering took place as I am relatively familiar with Canadian history but I don't recall any war, invasion or even much of a fight. I do recall the Canadian natives being allies when the US tried that short lived invasion of Canada. Wait now there was warfare?? What book is this in I must get caught up on the facts
Old 02-28-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:

There's really a lot of false assumptions of what Treaty Natives receive in Canada. As for non Treaty Natives, they don't get anything more than any other Canadian does.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/chelsea...b_1752652.html
Old 02-28-2018, 02:27 PM

I see a reality Tv/Documentary coming.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
When this conquering took place as I am relatively familiar with Canadian history but I don't recall any war, invasion or even much of a fight. I do recall the Canadian natives being allies when the US tried that short lived invasion of Canada. Wait now there was warfare?? What book is this in I must get caught up on the facts
I believe what I said was an invasion of North America not Canada. What I said was most Canadians have equal opportunity to purchase land, some have a little more.

I guess some people get their nose bent out of joint when they find out the land was purchased not stolen???
Old 02-28-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Guess you dont read your own posts. "Warfare" "conquering a nation". You have a pretty one sided opinion but it is wrong. There were a least 20 nations in Canada when the white man arrived and the treaties made and subsequently broken with many of those nations had nothing to do with the US so you cant lump a north american conquest into the problems we face now.
It wasn't you or me or even our ancestors 5 generations ago but rather the government at the time and continuous until about 1983 that created the problem who will ultimately have to find a solution.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post

He's a transplant from BC, explains how he can demean this province and the people who live here so casually
Old 02-28-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Also I'm from an immigrant family so it's not my problem!!! Also I hope this doesn't keep up or I see the Saskatchewan private land use debate coming back