Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 06:59 PM

Default School me on Netflix

Looking at a vacation rental that has a “flat screen with local channels and Netflix.” Never having Netflix, I am not familiar with the “programming” ...
I have no interest in renting movies ... just want to watch live channels like News Networks, A & E, History, Geography, Biography etc. Does Netflix work that way? Is it pay per view?
Old 02-27-2018, 07:18 PM

It's not pay per use , it's a program that allows you to watch old movies / tv shows that have already previously aired.

By the sounds of your post it's not what you are looking for.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:39 PM

you might actually find some documentaries that interest you. It's more about movies and TV series though, as Dweb mentioned already.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:52 PM

There's a 30 day free trial if I remember right,for 12 bucks a month a guy can't really go wrong.Plus cancel anytime without a problem.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:05 PM

Thanks for the school’n. A month of watching old series would feel like 90 days for me
Old 02-27-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Thanks for the school’n. A month of watching old series would feel like 90 days for me
It ain't old series. It has, imo, the best programming around. Incredible shows.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Netflix doesn't carry 'live' content. It does stream TV series and movies as well as a lot of content that it has financed... some of it is quite good (to my tastes) and some of it will probably be to your tastes. "Old" depends on what you mean by old... is 'John Wick' an old movie?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Looking at a vacation rental that has a “flat screen with local channels and Netflix.” Never having Netflix, I am not familiar with the “programming” ...
I have no interest in renting movies ... just want to watch live channels like News Networks, A & E, History, Geography, Biography etc. Does Netflix work that way? Is it pay per view?
This thread will helpful to me as well, thanks for posting.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Good variety, low monthly fee, pick it up anywhere just remember your pass word had it from the start and it has improved ten fold.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-27-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Netflix has a lot of series, probably not of interest for you in a vacation rental unless you want to pick one and binge watch. It also has some Netflix original movies, and a ton of previously run movies. You will definitely find something to watch. Just go to the site now and see what is available to watch. There is a reason Netflix is so popular, it delivers lots of good movies and series.

It is not pay per view but the place you rent from pays a usage fee, band width used.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-27-2018, 08:20 PM
Banned

Netflix has more to offer than the 9999 channels I have,

AND

1) You get to choose what you watch!
2) There's only one channel so there's no possibility of the same show being broadcast on 27 channels at the same time.
3) No channel flicking required either, cause yes, hold on, wait for it, there's only 1, yes ONE channel!
4) It's the next best thing to using a real telephone!
5) There's no commercials!
6) You can stop what you're watching, rewind, and forward without any outside interference such as Telus.
7) There's one channel, it's called Netflix. They don't try to pretend you're getting 9999 channels which are really only 7 channels disguised as 9999. (just in case you missed it the first time I said this)
8) It's free for one month because they have confidence you will continue with the subscription.
9) You can cancel anytime without having to talk to somebody in India to do so.
10) You can share it with 2 other people anywhere in the world.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Netflix has a lot of series, probably not of interest for you in a vacation rental unless you want to pick one and binge watch. It also has some Netflix original movies, and a ton of previously run movies. You will definitely find something to watch. Just go to the site now and see what is available to watch. There is a reason Netflix is so popular, it delivers lots of good movies and series.

It is not pay per view but the place you rent from pays a usage fee, band width used.
One of the main reasons I was so cranky on AO during Jan was because I was stuck in a vacation rental with a similar “streaming service” plan. Couldn’t get the news networks like FOX / BBC / CNN / CBS ... no History, Military History, Biography... Well, I did watch Archie Bunker from beginning to end. And yes, a thousand movies I had no interest in watching were available. So, from now on when I am spending $3000.00 for a months rental, I expect decent cable.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:09 PM

Check out Crave TV to. It has a ton of shows and series. Lots of popular networks including HBO. Same idea as Netflix. I find Netflix has more new content and Crave has more old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2018, 09:18 PM

all i have is netflix no cable in my home lots to watch try it for a month and judge for yourself .
Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
One of the main reasons I was so cranky on AO during Jan was because I was stuck in a vacation rental with a similar “streaming service” plan. Couldn’t get the news networks like FOX / BBC / CNN / CBS ... no History, Military History, Biography... Well, I did watch Archie Bunker from beginning to end. And yes, a thousand movies I had no interest in watching were available. So, from now on when I am spending $3000.00 for a months rental, I expect decent cable.
Dude, it's called being on vacation... if you want every thing to be the same, stay home! Seriously, if what is available on TV is your biggest concern on vacation, that isn't much of a vacation. Not to me, anyway.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
It ain't old series. It has, imo, the best programming around. Incredible shows.
X2 .. It is a great entertainment venue and darn good value for the small cost. .. Netfix delivers great documentaries, good movies and no advertising. We turfed Telus TV and don't miss it one bit. A large screen smart TV is a major bonus and Internet Service Providers are offering some pretty good packaging as well. A real good deal overall as we see it.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 PM

Nothing wrong with watching a little tv while on vacation.

Given your viewing tastes, I'd suggest The Crown.
There's 20 episodes (two seasons) available. Each one is an hour.

Being the good son that I am, I watched the first season with my mom when she visited this summer. I thought that I'd hate it, but it was actually really good.

Quote:
The Crown focuses on Queen Elizabeth II as a 25-year-old newlywed faced with the daunting prospect of leading the world's most famous monarchy while forging a relationship with legendary Prime Minister, Sir Winston Churchill. The British Empire is in decline, the political world is in disarray, and a young woman takes the throne....
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4786824/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 PM

I know that TV entertainment should not be a priority when being “on vacation” but frankly after week of living in the city, some diversion is a welcome relief. We can’t do the Netflix thing at home because (I am told) our download is too slow. If I book this place, looks like I will need to start a Netflix favorites thread. BSky - “The Crown” does sound good.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:12 AM

Android boxes are a great option as well. You get EVERYTHING!!
I love mine.

BH

Old 02-28-2018, 07:32 AM

For $12 a month you can't go wrong watching any series or movies without commercials anytime you want is worth the money

I like Netflix but I do wish they change the menu
separate the movies from the series,
a warning for the subtitled movies
add more genres like westerns
stop repeating movies in the menu
Old 02-28-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I know that TV entertainment should not be a priority when being “on vacation” but frankly after week of living in the city, some diversion is a welcome relief. We can’t do the Netflix thing at home because (I am told) our download is too slow. If I book this place, looks like I will need to start a Netflix favorites thread. BSky - “The Crown” does sound good.
Was in the same situation with last internet provider. Give the Telus hub a try it works great here.
Old 02-28-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
For $12 a month you can't go wrong watching any series or movies without commercials anytime you want is worth the money

I like Netflix but I do wish they change the menu
separate the movies from the series,
a warning for the subtitled movies
add more genres like westerns
stop repeating movies in the menu
Look at the top line of the website.........everything is separated, if you choose to see it that way. You can view the menu in several ways.......just sayin'

https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/1592210?so=su
Old 02-28-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Look at the top line of the website.........everything is separated, if you choose to see it that way. You can view the menu in several ways.......just sayin'

https://www.netflix.com/browse/genre/1592210?so=su
You must have different menu ?

Action covers westerns, war, drama, history etc. on mine
Does yours say if its subtitled?

under new
Movies and series are jumbled together?