Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 02:46 PM

Default Cast iron frying pan maintenance

I picked up a cast iron pan today at a thrift store "GSW #9 made in Canada" for $2.00. Any way it needs a bit of TLC. It is not warped and I cannot see any cracks. It has accumulation of several years of seasoning. Otherwise in really good shape.
Those of you with experience or in the know, how would you suggest I proceed in restoring it as well as re seasoning this pan?
I have never owned or cooked in a cast iron pan, so any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 02-27-2018, 02:53 PM

My cousin reconditioned some old cast iron pots and pans. He used a wire wheel on a grinder to clean them off and then re-seasoned them. Like brand new.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-27-2018, 03:12 PM
Banned

Toss it out . You never know what was cooked in it. Lead rat poison meth .
Old 02-27-2018, 03:15 PM

Get it sand blasted, takes all of five minutes.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-27-2018, 03:57 PM

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-res...-kitchn-203086
Old 02-27-2018, 04:02 PM

Youtube has plenty of videos on what and how to do it. Some are from experts and some are from people who think they are experts.

The guy I think is the best is Kent Rollins. He is a cowboy cook and not only has videos on how to season and maintain them but his recipes are great. I especially like the "Cowboy Baked Beans"

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 02-27-2018, 04:05 PM

For seasoning cast iron I've had the best luck with lard. Once its all cleaned up coat it thoroughly with the lard and then bake it in the oven or on the BBQ for 15-20 on moderate heat. Cool it down enough to handle it and wipe it out with some paper towel, then do the process over again. Once you feel that the pan is well coated put away until needed. You can wipe any excess lard with a paper towel but don't wash it. After cooking with it wash with warm water and a scrub brush , allow to dry and re-coat with some cooking oil on a paper towel. If you wash cast with soap you will likely need to do the seasoning again or it will rust on you again after it dries.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:28 PM

I would also sandblast as opposed other methods, it retains the same textured finish which will be easier to season rather than something using a sander or similar. It will also take off meth!
Old 02-27-2018, 04:44 PM

Thanks guys, I should mention that there is no rust on this pan. It is just cruddy and very cruddy on the outside. I have it in the self cleaning oven right now. According to video's when its done I just have to wash dry in oven and start seasoning. The GSW company started up I believe in 1927. I would sure like to know how old mine is.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:48 PM
Banned

The science behind seasoning, mind you it is from the internet so who knows.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/
Old 02-27-2018, 04:52 PM

For $2 it looks like Sitting Bull got a great deal.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:59 PM

Default Cast iron pan

Sand it up good put some pork fat in it and get it smoking hot on the barbecue would be good .clean it up with paper towels rags whatever, repeat more pork fat get it smoking hot again clean it up and your good to go.i cook hamburgers on a griddle on the barbecue ,i picked it up at farm auction about 10 years ago, its probably 100 years old.Makes great burgers.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
My cousin reconditioned some old cast iron pots and pans. He used a wire wheel on a grinder to clean them off and then re-seasoned them. Like brand new.
No,,,,do not do that, it will show the scratch’s and wont season even and will destroy the value

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 02-27-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I would also sandblast as opposed other methods, it retains the same textured finish which will be easier to season rather than something using a sander or similar. It will also take off meth!
Sand blast will warp it, the old pans are smooth you dont want it textured like new pans, once again it will lose its value the second you blast it

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 02-27-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:22 PM
Banned

Yellow top easy off oven cleaner will strip it clean, just keep applying it, wrap it in a garbage bag for a day, wash it, re apply, continue until its spotless. Then season it. I use a bbq because it smokes a lot when you season it and a stove wont hit 600, i get it to 200f apply a even coat of original Pam, wipe it very clean the take it to 600f for an hour, cool it to 200 and repeat this 3 times, i have a dozen that i can see my reflection in. Makes sure you scrub that pan real good with a strong vinegar water mixture after you finish with the easy off. Season it right after and do the outside of the pan as well, pans made in canada are not easy to find

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 02-27-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Sand blast will warp it, the old pans are smooth you dont want it textured like new pans, once again it will lose its value the second you blast it

How in the world does sand blasting warp a cast iron pan? I have sand blasted several, never had a problem. Maybe we are talking about different sand blasting equipment?

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-27-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
The science behind seasoning, mind you it is from the internet so who knows.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/
This is the best advice.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
No,,,,do not do that, it will show the scratch’s and wont season even and will destroy the value
If you do it with some care it would work,he said a wire wheel not a zip cut or grinding wheel.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:56 PM

When I first seasoned mine ,I placed lard on heavy ....wrong !

Best is ,as thin as you can . even wipe it all off . then heat and cool .
then again ,and again.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:06 PM

I cleaned mine with oven cleaner hot water and elbow grease.

To season I heated the pan melted 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil wiped the pan with a paper towel. Placed in the oven at 300F. Heated the pan for 90 minutes then let it cool in the oven. Repeated a few times. I wash with hot water or boil water in the pan if it’s really dirty. Then repeat with the coconut oil. It’s my favourite pan and does a great job.

BW
Old 02-27-2018, 06:30 PM

Found a really rusty gunked up one so I threw it in a hot camp fire.
I then scrubbed it out with salt before seasoning it.
I prefer bear fat for seasoning.
Turns out it's an old Griswold that is quite collectable.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:01 PM
Banned

Never use oven cleaner on cast iron. In fact a good rule of thumb is never put anything in the pan you wouldn't put in your mouth. Lots of good info on the net. Self clean in the oven cycle is a good start. Kent Rollins' videos are good also.
Flax seed oil or olive oil works good to season. Lard or bacon grease is good too, just that the pan will smell a little funky if it sits for awhile. It worse with dutch ovens.
Repeated proper use and cleaning (never soap) is probably the best thing once the seasoning starts. It takes time.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Banned

GSW = General Steel Wares, formed in 1927. Please don't hit that with a grinder or anything abrasive. Self cleaning oven can warp it or crack it.

Mcclary started making these in the early 30's - look under the handle for an X and 3 numbers. Findlay picked up the torch in the 40's and made them into the 50's and 60's. They are going up in value depending on who made it, seen them sell dirty for $50 to $70 lately. Post a picture of the back.

Spray it down with yellow cap easy off and put it in a garbage bag for a few days. Scrub it with stainless steel wool and repeat as necessary. Or if you want, drop it off to me, i'll toss it in my lye tank for a couple of days and restore it properly.

That Canter blog is hit and miss, linseed oil is a short chain fatty acid and doesn't hold up well to the expansion and contraction of heating and cooling. Crisco is best.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:10 PM

Well the wife ain't to happy right now! I have never used our self cleaning oven. The house stinks and there was smoke all over the place. I had to open the windows and front door to clear it out. Its cooling down now so when its cooled down ill wash it with some dish soap then dry it and see where we are at.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex811 View Post
For $2 it looks like Sitting Bull got a great deal.
I could not believe it myself and I have no idea what these are worth, but I new I better grab it fast.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Never use oven cleaner on cast iron. In fact a good rule of thumb is never put anything in the pan you wouldn't put in your mouth. Lots of good info on the net. Self clean in the oven cycle is a good start. Kent Rollins' videos are good also.
Flax seed oil or olive oil works good to season. Lard or bacon grease is good too, just that the pan will smell a little funky if it sits for awhile. It worse with dutch ovens.
Repeated proper use and cleaning (never soap) is probably the best thing once the seasoning starts. It takes time.
Ever eat a German bagel? Lye is used in quite a few foods. Oven cleaner is fine, sodium hydroxide is the active ingredient. I clean all cast iron in a lye tank.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
GSW = General Steel Wares, formed in 1927. Please don't hit that with a grinder or anything abrasive. Self cleaning oven can warp it or crack it.

Mcclary started making these in the early 30's - look under the handle for an X and 3 numbers. Findlay picked up the torch in the 40's and made them into the 50's and 60's. They are going up in value depending on who made it, seen them sell dirty for $50 to $70 lately. Post a picture of the back.

Spray it down with yellow cap easy off and put it in a garbage bag for a few days. Scrub it with stainless steel wool and repeat as necessary. Or if you want, drop it off to me, i'll toss it in my lye tank for a couple of days and restore it properly.

That Canter blog is hit and miss, linseed oil is a short chain fatty acid and doesn't hold up well to the expansion and contraction of heating and cooling. Crisco is best.
What would be using a lye tank for?lyers? Lol.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Not a chance will sandblasting warp cast iron. Have you ever sandblasted anything? I have. It may affect thin sheet metal but thick cast is not an issue unless you blast far, far beyond merely cleaning the surface off.

I won't comment n collectability, just utility.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:52 PM
Banned

Here's a smoke point chart for those that like to experiment:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/a...f-Various-Fats
Old 02-27-2018, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
What would be using a lye tank for?lyers? Lol.
Wanna take a dip? It won't hurt too much