Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2018, 07:55 AM

Default New acreage build

We're starting our new house later in the spring finally after a few year delay.

I was walking around the yard with the plumber and he was talking about constant pressure well pump system instead of basic pressure switches system.

I have no experiece with the constant pressure system, any body have any pros/cons experience of it?
Old 02-26-2018, 10:57 PM

I don't have any experience with this kind of system, but from the research I've done, I'd live to try it. Constant pressure seems like a really good thing to me. These pumps are made by reputable well pump manufacturers (Grundfos I believe) which would make me more comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2018, 11:09 PM
Banned

Kinda wish I would of gone this route for the simple reason is that with my well I needed a stand alone building to house the pressure tank due to there being no utility room in the house. Electric heaters cost a little much in the winter.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:29 PM

I have read that a constant pressure system is only as good as the well. You should know the GPM of the well to help you make a better decision.

Here is an interactive map of the water wells in Alberta. Zoom into the neighboring properties to see their wells reports. It may give you some good info on how deep the water tables are around you.

http://groundwater.alberta.ca/WaterWells/d/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-27-2018, 07:45 AM

I put one in my current home and the biggest difference is the pressure tank is very small and is mounted right on the distribution manifold so there is no floor space given up to place the bigger unit required for a traditional system.
Also, pressure control is easy to access and operate as it is wall mounted as opposed to a traditional pressure switch which is inline and needs a pressure gauge to determine setting changes.
Not sure it was worth the extra cost but it is convenient.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:46 AM

The well is already drilled and has a 1hp Goulds pump in it. I got the well company to set it up so i could use a generator to operate the well for a few years. It was tested around 4gpm but said it could pribably flow 8gpm.

I phoned the well company and they said my pump would work with either system so its just my choice to decide.

Well is around 220ft deep and probably 350 feet from where the house is going.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:51 AM

If the pump is already set and will handle the constant pressure controls I would suggest going that route as the biggest expenditure has been made (pump)
I didn't realize there were pumps which work for both systems.......
Old 02-27-2018, 08:13 AM

I have one on ours (been in house for around 1.5 years now).

Absolutely zero problems. Grundfos setup. If you need more info just PM me.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:18 AM
Banned

With this system does the pump start continuously? Figuring start up on the pump is probably harder on things then anything else.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
With this system does the pump start continuously? Figuring start up on the pump is probably harder on things then anything else.
I might be wrong but on the constant pressure system it employs a VFD (variable frequency drive) type drive were it only employ the correct amount of rpm to generate the amount of water required to match consumption.

when I was considering it, it priced at around $3500 (SQE series grundfos)whereas the typical design is probably half that.
the vfd system works well with off grid systems as it doesn't use a ton of inrush current to do pump startup.
if'n it was me id probably buy the best of the best available or go basic and as cheap as possible.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-27-2018, 08:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I have read that a constant pressure system is only as good as the well. You should know the GPM of the well to help you make a better decision.

Here is an interactive map of the water wells in Alberta. Zoom into the neighboring properties to see their wells reports. It may give you some good info on how deep the water tables are around you.

http://groundwater.alberta.ca/WaterWells/d/
That website is awesome. I have been wondering the output of the well on the acreage we just bought. Thank you.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
That website is awesome. I have been wondering the output of the well on the acreage we just bought. Thank you.
If it's the website I'm thinking it also shows seismic shot holes as well.