Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This is how ridiculous the ban guns argument really is.
Cars require licenses which require testing. They also require registration, inspection(some states), insurance.

Applying the same standards to gun ownership in the US is a viable option.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:17 PM

Default Missed quoted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post
You yourself have said that holding people accountable for violating standards doesn't work. If you don't have any standards or laws, no one would break any. So, your implied solution to solve crime is to not have any laws.

What stops most people from violating the boundaries (both stated, and implied) of the societies they live in is that we are social animals that rely on each other for survival, and if an individual steps outside societal boundaries they risk exclusion or isolation from supporting society and, therefore, risk personal extinction.
You forgot to include the last couple lines of my quote where I affirmed the need to have laws and punishments.

I am now officially stopping comments on this thread.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
You forgot to include the last couple lines of my quote where I affirmed the need to have laws and punishments.

I am now officially stopping comments on this thread.
You edited after I started responding, apparently. But, what you put in adds confusion as you previously stated that "Laws and banning things are not effective."

You want laws and consequences, even though they are not effective.

That stance makes little sense.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Cars require licenses which require testing. They also require registration, inspection(some states), insurance.

Applying the same standards to gun ownership in the US is a viable option.
We already know that firearms registration was useless from the failed registry. And given that some people received a PAL without any formal training or testing, that says a lot about the value of our licensing program.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The ship has sailed on any kind of gun control in the US. every time the left beats the control war drum gun sales skyrocket get'em while you can. In 1994 Clinton temporarily banned the sale of new AR-15 type rifles, before the ban kicked in millions were acquired by people selling them "used" for twice the original price.

There is an estimated 265,000,000 guns in the US there is no hope of eliminating even a small percentage, identifying or defending against shooters is the states only options.

Any volunteers to go to Louisiana and tell the good old boys to hand in their guns.

Out of those 265million firearms how many are in the hands of someone with a mental illness? 1 in 4 Americans suffer from some sort of mental illness. Maybe doctors, family members, friends and co-workers need to do a better job in identifying people who are unfit for possessing firearms.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We already know that firearms registration was useless from the failed registry. And given that some people received a PAL without any formal training or testing, that says a lot about the value of our licensing program.
So, your solution is to do nothing, because what ever was tried before didn't completely work.

Good plan.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
So, your solution is to do nothing, because what ever was tried before didn't completely work.

Good plan.

Like it or not, if someone wants a gun they will get one. No amount of useless regulations is going to stop that.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The AR-15 and the mini14 use the same cartridge, and both are semi autos, and both have 30 round magazines available. In Canada , the only difference is that the AR-15 is restricted, and the mini 14 is not. Oh , and the fact that the mini 14 was used in the Montreal massacre, and the AR-15 has never been used in a mass shooting in Canada, even though it was not restricted for many years, and many people drove around with AR-15s and 20 or 30 round magazines, because it makes a good coyote rifle. As to your knowledge of the US firearms regulations, are you aware that some States have a mandatory waiting period to purchase any firearm? There is no such mandatory waiting period in Canada.

Again.....You are narrow of focus and concentrating on a specific caliber to affirm your position. So then let me ask you this. It is of my personal opinion and experience that our gun laws here in Canada are more than ample to let us who love the outdoors do what we like to do with the exception of the ability to carry a sidearm while bow hunting, so we will use this as our baseline.
How about we take away our current laws in place surrounding guns and just let people go ahead and buy them at the rate they do in the U.S all willy nilly.
Is it of your opinion that there would be no increase in gun related events such as what we have just witnessed down south. By your argument it should have no effect what so ever since criminals can get a gun anyway.

I find it quite funny that you have to draw from a massacre in Canada that happened way back in 1989 with a gun that wasn't restricted vrs one that is. Although there have been others smaller in nature have happened since then, but can we say the same in the U.S? Your really helping my argument......

BH

Old 02-15-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Good plan.

There is no point continuing with things that don't work.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
There is no point continuing with things that don't work.
Yep, 2 billion wasted and not one life saved.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:51 PM

I think we can all agree that the gun registry was a complete and udder failure.

BH

Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:

Good plan.

Register the user. Who cares what guns hes got. Pretty simple if the guy is found out to be a lunatic go get him. From what I understand is the registry was for cops safety not the public's. The pal is for the public's safety. Is the public any safer today then the fac days. Probably not. Restricted have been registered for decades. Public any safer today then 50 years ago. Don't think so.

How about let's register the lunatics before they get a gun. This might make the public safer but people much like yourself would boo hoo about the infringement on their rights. So instead let's infringe on joe public. Joe public is used to getting bent over so may as well take one more turn at him.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Register the user. Who cares what guns hes got. Pretty simple if the guy is found out to be a lunatic go get him. From what I understand is the registry was for cops safety not the public's. The pal is for the public's safety. Is the public any safer today then the fac days. Probably not. Restricted have been registered for decades. Public any safer today then 50 years ago. Don't think so.

How about let's register the lunatics before they get a gun. This might make the public safer but people much like yourself would boo hoo about the infringement on their rights. So instead let's infringe on joe public. Joe public is used to getting bent over so may as well take one more turn at him.
Canada/Australia/Britain/etc does what you say above, to some degree. The US does not. There is more gun violence, per capita, in the US than in those other countries. Connect the dots or not.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Canada/Australia/Britain/etc does what you say above, to some degree. The US does not. There is more gun violence, per capita, in the US than in those other countries. Connect the dots or not.
More gun violence in Somalia to. What dots to connect
Old 02-15-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Register the user. The pal is for the public's safety. Is the public any safer today then the fac days. Probably not. Restricted have been registered for decades. Public any safer today then 50 years ago. Don't think so.
Really??? Me thinks your wrong, but since there is no way to quantify events that did not occur, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one.....

BH

Old 02-15-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
More gun violence in Somalia to. What dots to connect
Ya and we all know the extreme gun laws Somalia has...

BH

Old 02-15-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Shouldn't you be over on the hunting forum trying to get more legal hunting banned.

The NRA is an organisation that fights for the rights of sane people to own and use firearms.

They are no more responsible for the insane than farmers are responsible for obesity.

ISIS has already moved on from firearms in most all cases because they are one of the least effective weapons to instill terror. Bombs, knives, motor vehicles and aircraft are all much more effective.

This is a hunting, shooting, fishing and trapping forum. Being anti any of these is your personal business but do you really think this is the venue to voice your views?
This thread is about a mass shooting at a school in the United States. One of just many many mass shootings at schools. They are occurring so often that some people get ho hum about them. Every time one of these slaughter happen all the Congress of the good ole USA does is offer to pray. That is all they do other than say that they can do nothing because they really can not do anything about mental illness. Through all this the NRA will not allow their paid and bought politicians do anything except vote against that will infringe on what the NRA is paid to lobby for. I am sick and tired of everyone just watching when children are slaughtered. It is time to try something else.

I own many firearms and I have been a shooter and hunter since my youth. This thread was started on this venue and I have as much of a right to voice my views as you do.

On the other thread I support aheia and on this thread I condemn the NRA. I for one think that the NRA is one of the reasons why the USA is in such a sorry state and leads the world in school slaughters.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:06 PM
Banned

For those who claim there were 18 school shootings -

https://youtu.be/TJb-fr1EhDQ

But keep drinking that koolaid, or whatever it is you all are doing.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The leaning left will always want to ban the tool and the leaning right will always want to cure the actual problem.
I am all for curing the actual problem, but I do not see those you describe as the leaning right doing much more than wanting.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:23 PM

The AR-15 has an almost cult like following and is black and kool and has become the weapon of choice for mental sickos who have a death wish.

For those who want to go out in a blaze of glory, the mini-14 probably seems a bit practical and fuddy.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Well I guess Americans don't really care cuz unlike other countries they can't be bothered to do anything about it.
So far 18 school shootings in the first 44 days of 2018.
I’ll post this to you, specifically.

https://youtu.be/TJb-fr1EhDQ
Old 02-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
The AR-15 has an almost cult like following and is black and kool and has become the weapon of choice for mental sickos who have a death wish.

For those who want to go out in a blaze of glory, the mini-14 probably seems a bit practical and fuddy.
So we should regulate objects base on their looks?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post

I'm pretty sure AR15 style rifles are the most popular rifles sold in the USA, which would make sense that it's the rifle of choice for most of these loons.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
How is a AR-15 more of a threat than the mini 14, which is not restricted in Canada?
Exactly, or any other semi-automatic firearm.
Anyone that goes crying and wailing over “horrendous assault rifles” is clueless and is simply babbling on with emotion without considering practical facts.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
So we should regulate objects base on their looks?
Of course not!

I was just addressing the weird point that other poster was persistent in making.

Yep, the mini was a semi that was not restricted and was used in Canada. So what?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodHound70 View Post
Again.....You are narrow of focus and concentrating on a specific caliber to affirm your position. So then let me ask you this. It is of my personal opinion and experience that our gun laws here in Canada are more than ample to let us who love the outdoors do what we like to do with the exception of the ability to carry a sidearm while bow hunting, so we will use this as our baseline.
How about we take away our current laws in place surrounding guns and just let people go ahead and buy them at the rate they do in the U.S all willy nilly.
Is it of your opinion that there would be no increase in gun related events such as what we have just witnessed down south. By your argument it should have no effect what so ever since criminals can get a gun anyway.

I find it quite funny that you have to draw from a massacre in Canada that happened way back in 1989 with a gun that wasn't restricted vrs one that is. Although there have been others smaller in nature have happened since then, but can we say the same in the U.S? Your really helping my argument......

BH
I am referring back to that incident in1989, because that incident is the cause of most of our firearms laws. A massive outcry to regulate firearms resulted from the emotional fallout from that incident. And most of the crowd calling for more firearms laws, are referring to that same incident to justify more regulations. And my mentioning the mini 14 is not a coincidence, the firearm that was used in the incident that resulted in the big push to regulate firearms was the mini 14, and it still is not restricted. As to being able to purchase firearms at the rate that they do in the USA, we can do that now. I owned over 40 firearms a couple of years ago, and I know many people that own 20 or more firearms, with some owning over 100.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 PM

Any proposed U.S. firearms regulations should be test run in Detroit and St. Louis to see if they will actually work.
I think we all know what the outcome of that will be, total failure.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
Any proposed U.S. firearms regulations should be test run in Detroit and St. Louis to see if they will actually work.
I think we all know what the outcome of that will be, total failure.
how can you regulate a city when a state or country isn't following the same regulations?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
how can you regulate a city when a state or country isn't following the same regulations?
The firearms regulations vary from state to state now, and they enforce the regulations accordingly. And here in Canada, the regulations are not the same in every province, only Quebec has a registry for non restricted firearms. So apparently, it can be done.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
LOL, how weak, you know perfectly well what my point is.