Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-05-2017, 01:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Old Strathcona, the hut is located two blocks south of Wheaton Chev.
Really? I thought the only thing you could OD on in that neighborhood would be Granola
Old 11-05-2017, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
But the injection sites are mainly frequented by hard core meth and heroin users...they aren't likely to turn their lives around.
You're correct, it's also one of the primary reasons for having these sites. We can't let them die so we might as well find a way that lowers the cost of having them addicted. If it saves me dollars I'm all for it.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Banned

Some anti gun people here too! I get it though, I wouldn’t want to get jacked while jacking someone’s vehicle either.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
On a brighter note, the LARGE INCREASE in the number of organs donated from over dose patients has made a HUGE difference to the life of many waiting for a heart, kidney, lungs, etc.
Really?
Old 11-05-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
This is one thing I thought I'd never see in Lethbridge, what a disappointment, why enforce the law? Lets pay for a nice warm building to shoot junk in! This is unfathomable to me, like really, when did it come this? I agree with giving people in recovery all the help they need, but paying for a place for people to get high in? What is happening to our society? Seems stupid decisions are a plague this day and age.
pure ignorance,not even worthy of a reply aside from pointing out that "Supreme Court ruling opens doors to drug injection clinics across Canada"
that story is from 2011 btw.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Banned

I say have their parents pay for the costs of running a program such as this one, or do not have it at all. Why should people who didn't do drugs give hard earned money for this crap. These people who are using this program are likely not working for money to buy their drugs, it's most probably items being stolen, then sold. It sounds cruel, but these people are no gain to society, only a drain on the tax payer, put this money towards helping sick children in hospitals, lower costs for medicine for the sick, or just maybe a new set of work boots to the working people who keep this country rolling.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I don't have an issue with helping the young kid who is experimenting with drugs and gets a hit of fentanyl...that's no different than when we were young and had too much to drink.
Hopefully they survive and learn a lesson.
But the injection sites are mainly frequented by hard core meth and heroin users...they aren't likely to turn their lives around.
I have as much sympathy for them as I do the hard core criminal...and just like I don't like tax dollars going to keep a hard core criminal in prison for his entire life...I don't like tax dollars going to 'help' the hard core addict who is just going to require saving again and again.

You don't need to like or care about addicts to support safe injection sites. They're better for you too.

Every addict injecting at a safe injection site is one less corpse and used needle we don't have to clean up (at a cost to the taxpayer).

Every addict using needle exchanges is one less HIV/Hepatitis patient using valuable hospital resources (at a cost to taxpayers and those who depend on timely health care).

Locking addicts up in jail (for drug charges) isn't a better solution. It costs something like $100,000/year to keep someone in jail.

Just like we're advised to get into healthy habits ourselves to avoid huge medical issues later, providing addicts with safe injection sites allows us to avoid more costly problems, like blood-borne disease treatment etc, later.

And, just like preventative medicine, safe injection sites are not perfect or a complete solution to a complex problem. But I can't wrap my head around the notion that spending more to keep a problem swept under the rug is in any way beneficial to anybody.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:28 PM

I am a Diabetic and the Gov't cut funding for diabetics but increased funding for junkies. This is very hard but it is MY opinion.

First, Junkies know the hazard and risk in doing drugs.
Second, Live /Die they have made their choice, if they want to come off drugs... great
Third, I have purposely kept the drug culture at an arm's length. now my Prime Minister has forced me into participating in the drug culture.
Fourth, If junkies buy or we buy drugs for them (still don't know or care) are we not aiding and abetting a crime????
Old 11-05-2017, 04:52 PM

It’s pretty clear that people around here don’t value evidence. It’s been proven time and again that old school management of drugs and addicts just doesn’t work. Decriminalizing drug use, outreach programs, education and gasp even safe injections sites all have been shown to help decrease the number of addicts and negative outcomes.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
It’s pretty clear that people around here don’t value evidence. It’s been proven time and again that old school management of drugs and addicts just doesn’t work. Decriminalizing drug use, outreach programs, education and gasp even safe injections sites all have been shown to help decrease the number of addicts and negative outcomes.
Decriminalizing drugs makes it better? That's like saying it's ok to kill with handguns, but not rifles, so crime went down.. Handing out clean needles is not detouring, it's just aiding their habit. It's a total waste of money, it was their choice to do the drugs, I work hard for my money, it makes me crazy knowing some taxes go to this garbage.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
Decriminalizing drugs makes it better? That's like saying it's ok to kill with handguns, but not rifles, so crime went down.. Handing out clean needles is not detouring, it's just aiding their habit. It's a total waste of money, it was their choice to do the drugs, I work hard for my money, it makes me crazy knowing some taxes go to this garbage.
Don’t be intellectually lazy. Go read up on it. There is no benefit to throwing people in jail for doing a line of blow. Jail isn’t rehab. They just get turned lose and go back to old habits. Now you’ve wasted the time (read money) of police, lawyers, judges, corrections etc etc for no net change in the person’s behaviour.

Should we throw alcoholics in jail?
Old 11-05-2017, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Don’t be intellectually lazy. Go read up on it. There is no benefit to throwing people in jail for doing a line of blow. Jail isn’t rehab. They just get turned lose and go back to old habits. Now you’ve wasted the time (read money) of police, lawyers, judges, corrections etc etc for no net change in the person’s behaviour.

Should we throw alcoholics in jail?
Honestly if you think these sites are good, then please pick up my portion in taxes that go to pay for this crap, but you won't....

Last time I checked bars don't give out free alcohol to drunks, an as far as AA meetings they don't have free liquor there either, but free needles, ok!!!, oh and where do you think these junkies are getting their money for their drugs??, be realistic.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Honestly if you think these sites are good, then please pick up my portion in taxes that go to pay for this crap, but you won't....

Last time I checked bars don't give out free alcohol to drunks, an as far as AA meetings they don't have free liquor there either, but free needles, ok!!!, oh and where do you think these junkies are getting their money for their drugs??, be realistic.
Actually some alcohol rehab programs do indeed give booze to alcoholics. Maybe check a few things out before telling someone to be realistic.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:46 PM
Banned

I bet if the Government spent some dollars on language comprehension we would have fewer drug addicts and a marked increase in people who can understand internet forum threads.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I bet already pay more than you in taxes
Old 11-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Actually some alcohol rehab programs do indeed give booze to alcoholics. Maybe check a few things out before telling someone to be realistic.
All rehab clinics??, hmmm, you forgot to mention you would pick up what I pay for this crap since your all for this stuff. Thanks bud!!
Old 11-05-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
All rehab clinics??, hmmm, you forgot to mention you would pick up what I pay for this crap since your all for this stuff. Thanks bud!!
Who said "all" rehab clinics? Who says you pay a single cent for any of it? Have you heard of a "managed alcohol program"?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Who said "all" rehab clinics? Who says you pay a single cent for any of it? Have you heard of a "managed alcohol program"?
Where does the money come from then??
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Where does the money come from then??
It's not all paid for by "you", the tax payer, if that's what you're trying to imply.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not all paid for by "you", the tax payer, if that's what you're trying to imply.
One cent paid for by taxpayers is a total waste!!, but who pays then?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
One cent paid for by taxpayers is a total waste!!, but who pays then?
Who do you think pays, troll?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Who do you think pays, troll?
Hard working people, tell me with all you wisdom who pays?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Hard working people, tell me with all you wisdom who pays?
Hard working people, out of their own pockets, or more likely, their family's pockets.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hard working people, out of their own pockets, or more likely, their family's pockets.
Really? Hmmm, I'm glad to hear that taxpayer don't foot the bill.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
You don't need to like or care about addicts to support safe injection sites. They're better for you too.

Every addict injecting at a safe injection site is one less corpse and used needle we don't have to clean up (at a cost to the taxpayer).

Every addict using needle exchanges is one less HIV/Hepatitis patient using valuable hospital resources (at a cost to taxpayers and those who depend on timely health care).

Locking addicts up in jail (for drug charges) isn't a better solution. It costs something like $100,000/year to keep someone in jail.

Just like we're advised to get into healthy habits ourselves to avoid huge medical issues later, providing addicts with safe injection sites allows us to avoid more costly problems, like blood-borne disease treatment etc, later.

And, just like preventative medicine, safe injection sites are not perfect or a complete solution to a complex problem. But I can't wrap my head around the notion that spending more to keep a problem swept under the rug is in any way beneficial to anybody.

There are no,less corpses or addicts with hiv etc. It is only postponed. These site do not 'cure' addicts.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-05-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stustage View Post
pure ignorance,not even worthy of a reply aside from pointing out that "Supreme Court ruling opens doors to drug injection clinics across Canada"
that story is from 2011 btw.
The same federal government who pays terrorists 10.5 million? Oh ya, their just full of brilliant ideas!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
There are no,less corpses or addicts with hiv etc. It is only postponed. These site do not 'cure' addicts.
You don't need to cure an addict to prevent them contracting HIV. You need to prevent addicts from sharing needles (and thereby essentially sharing blood).

1 infected addict shares a needle with a second non-infected addict and you've now got 2 infected addicts.

Safe injection sites offer needle exchanges.

The same 2 addicts use 2 separate needles and you continue to have 1 infected addict rather than 2.

Vancouver had the highest HIV infection rate in North America before they started opening these sites. Now they have among the lowest.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Really?
Yes, it's made quite a difference.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:

So you would be in favour of closing safe injection sites and then having more taxpayer money spent on the side effects of not having these places? Principle of the whole setup aside, I’m all for measures that reduce the financial burden on the health and justice system
Old 11-06-2017, 10:36 AM

Wow.

People sure are closed minded in the face of overwhelming evidence.