Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-24-2016, 01:21 PM

Default Brisket Pricing

What are you guys paying for a Brisket. Was thinking of attempting a brisket and some corn beef but thought that the prices for a brisket was a little out of line locally ranging from $5.29-$5.99 a pound.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:42 PM

That's a little cheaper then Calgary for untrimmed AAA grade brisket. I know in places like Texas guys are paying half of what we do up here, just the way it is.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:47 PM

Got 2 9-10 pounders from VCMM for $70 last year
Old 11-24-2016, 01:58 PM

I paid $4.59 lb. in Regina avg. was 14 Lbs, (untrimmed)
Old 11-24-2016, 07:48 PM

So does anyone know of the best place in southern Alberta to buy a brisket. Not afraid to drive a little as long as gas doesn't eat all the money I am saving.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
So does anyone know of the best place in southern Alberta to buy a brisket. Not afraid to drive a little as long as gas doesn't eat all the money I am saving.
No need to drive very far. I get mine from Madd Butcher at 6 ave. N. in Lethbridge. They cut off what you want. Not sure of the price though.

Bobby
Old 11-24-2016, 09:24 PM

Diamond 7 meats Lloydminster is $6.50/lb
Meatco Wainwright $4.50 (or 4.99, bought today forget exactly)
Old 11-24-2016, 11:05 PM

I used to buy mine untrimmed up until this past summer. I now get the butcher to trim and I save 15-20.00 per brisket.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Rite View Post
No need to drive very far. I get mine from Madd Butcher at 6 ave. N. in Lethbridge. They cut off what you want. Not sure of the price though.

Bobby
I have and that's why I am asking around. It seems expensive for something if it doesn't sell get turning into hamburger.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:36 AM

Default Not everyone even carries it

when I first started looking several years ago I checked all the main grocery stores with in house meat counters and was told they seldom get it because it is less demand cheap cut. I then located a couple places I could order it from because most of the meat packers are under contact to send most of it to the deep south USA where it is highly preferred for BBQ. Even hamburger is not cheap anymore so if brisket cant be sold in a day or two in the cooler they prefer not to carry it at all.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:41 PM

Wholesale club has brisket for 4.07 per pound. Triple AAA. No membership required.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-26-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Wholesale club has brisket for 4.07 per pound. Triple AAA. No membership required.
I am not sure of your location but that would be a great deal for AAA brisket. I just called both wholesale clubs in Calgary and they only carry AA. One location was $8.67/kg and the other was $8.97/kg. Might have to try out the lower grade next time and see if the results are much different.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckistanian View Post
I am not sure of your location but that would be a great deal for AAA brisket. I just called both wholesale clubs in Calgary and they only carry AA. One location was $8.67/kg and the other was $8.97/kg. Might have to try out the lower grade next time and see if the results are much different.
I just looked at their online flyer in Calgary. I may have been wrong on the grade. I buy all my triple A beef at the Edmonton location.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-18-2018, 08:05 AM

Hey guys and gals, looking at smoking a brisket in the next month or two and wondering if anyone has any updates as to the best place to get brisket and how much they cost. I am located in SW Calgary.

Happy smoking!

DR
Old 01-18-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Hey guys and gals, looking at smoking a brisket in the next month or two and wondering if anyone has any updates as to the best place to get brisket and how much they cost. I am located in SW Calgary.

Happy smoking!

DR
Calgary Meats on Edmonton Trail just north of downtown is my go to for all my BBQ meat. Brisket, pork shoulders, pork ribs, beef ribs, whole chickens, you name it.

They'll have brisket in stock, or order it for you to arrive fresh the day you need it, and they'll trim it for you beautifully if you want them to.

I don't know the exact price per pound, but it's very reasonable, and the customer service and supporting a local business is well worth a few bucks more in the end to me anyway.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:08 AM

i ran into some at t&t for 4.99 a lb cut and trimmed slabs
Old 01-19-2018, 11:31 AM

$5-7/lb seems to be the average that I see.

On a total derail, does anyone know a place that consistently carries 3 and 4 bone AAA rib roasts?
It seemed that during the holidays everyone had several for $10/lb and now 1-rib roasts are $17/lb and hard to find.
Nothing like a deep fried prime rib roast. I've made 4 so far and have yet to try a rib.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:47 AM

Regarding the "AAA" vs "AA" grades in beef - keep in mind that about >60% of the beef graded are typically in these categories and the split varies with operation.

The carcasses are graded based on sex (masculinity), age, how firm and bright red the muscles are, the colour of the fat, and, of course, marbling.

The good news is, in reality, because they can't see every specific processed or cut piece, a AA graded piece of beef is pretty darn indescribable for a AAA in many cases. In other words, there may be no difference at all after the carcass is broken down - so don't automatically assume the AAA is always going to be better.

My best advice - pick it up, look at it, and if it looks bright, firm, well marbled but it's marked as a "AA" - put it in the shopping basket and enjoy the money you saved.

Co-op carries AA and I often find some pretty amazing deals on some really nice cuts of beef that are far superior to the meat Safeway has marked up twice the price wearing a AAA tag.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Bontons is my go to place for most of my special BBQ/Smoking meat needs.
It isn't the cheapest place in town, but when I want that special perfect cut of meat, they deliver. Greg is a great guy as are the staff.
In Edm, go visit Real Deal Meats at the south end, Darcy has a fantastic shop and treats people great.
In saying this, we get a majority of our everyday meat, (chicken breasts, burger, pork chops etc) at Costco.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckistanian View Post
That's a little cheaper then Calgary for untrimmed AAA grade brisket. I know in places like Texas guys are paying half of what we do up here, just the way it is.
Costco in Montana is selling brisket for $2.59 pound. Suprised the crap out of me when I saw that price. used to be mid $5s. Either way I'm not going to complain. I love me some smoked brisket!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Regarding the "AAA" vs "AA" grades in beef - keep in mind that about >60% of the beef graded are typically in these categories and the split varies with operation.

The carcasses are graded based on sex (masculinity), age, how firm and bright red the muscles are, the colour of the fat, and, of course, marbling.

The good news is, in reality, because they can't see every specific processed or cut piece, a AA graded piece of beef is pretty darn indescribable for a AAA in many cases. In other words, there may be no difference at all after the carcass is broken down - so don't automatically assume the AAA is always going to be better.

My best advice - pick it up, look at it, and if it looks bright, firm, well marbled but it's marked as a "AA" - put it in the shopping basket and enjoy the money you saved.

Co-op carries AA and I often find some pretty amazing deals on some really nice cuts of beef that are far superior to the meat Safeway has marked up twice the price wearing a AAA tag.
True story. I worked at Cargill for about 1 month in 2000 or 2001. Of that month, 1 week was paid training, 1 week was sales cooler trim stand, and 2 weeks were on the grading stand. There is supposed to always be a government hired guy grading beef, but sometime they are on break, or doing whatever government employees do. I was sometimes left to just make a judgement call and stamp AA or AAA on the carcass. Obviously if it is border line, you would wanna just go with AAA because it makes the numbers look better.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:43 PM

I picked one up today at Wholesale Club (Calgary Chinook) for $4.90/lb. That's AA Beef...and will be hand delivered into the smoker tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
I picked one up today at Wholesale Club (Calgary Chinook) for $4.90/lb. That's AA Beef...and will be hand delivered into the smoker tomorrow.

Thanks for all the replies.

Was that trimmed or untrimmed? I see red deer lake meats has it for $5.99/lb untrimmed and $6.99/lb trimmed. About the best I had seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Was that trimmed or untrimmed? I see red deer lake meats has it for $5.99/lb untrimmed and $6.99/lb trimmed. About the best I had seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I trimmed a bit of fat off myself, to get the underside down to 1/4" or so.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 AM

A local butcher wanted $8.00lb here on the West Coast.
I was like, thanks but I'll pass on the $40.00 for brisket.
Rob
Old 01-23-2018, 11:26 AM

Ribs are far better anyway

If you can find them....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 AM

I'll be right over, Ken!
Old 01-23-2018, 11:33 AM

Talking

I am just heading to Lloydminster, let's meet at Browns social house for lunch! Then I am going searching for more ribs!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-23-2018, 05:29 PM

I live in Evanston in the north end of Calgary. My local Sobeys has a pretty decent meat department. I picked up a beautiful 22 pound brisket for $90.00. That works out to $4.09 a pound. They seem to have them regularly since summer but might call before you drive there.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 PM

I just don't see the attraction of the brisket guys sorry. I paid 45 dollars for one and I swear I get more meat out of a 12 dollar round roast. Sliced thin and cooked proper and injected and cooked slow and it was still flavorless. I don't know. I love all meat equally but that brisket thing just doesn't do it for me.