Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Or you pay 10 and get the same job done or better than the guy charging 30!
Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 AM

I happen to be one of those guys paying way to much for skinning and can explain why.
I am paying 30% of what I make at auction.
First of all this is not a major custom guy but a friend who does amazing work that offered to skin for me.
I was only ever able to sell for $30 (avg) to local buyers buying dogs whole so when my friend offered a deal to put more money in both our pockets I jumped at the chance. Im sure if I looked around I could find a Skinner for less but I figure knowing I am getting top quality work from skinning to sewing is worth something.

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Or you pay 10 and get the same job done or better than the guy charging 30!
Yup, it works both ways, but based on what I've seen that's not usually the case. There was a guy custom skinning in Westlock that was charging $30 per and from everything that I've heard he was terrible. Word travels fast and I don't think that he's doing it anymore. In most cases though you get what you pay for and if you want the bare minimum then that's what it costs. If you want better than just meeting the auction average then that's going to cost you a little more because it's going to take the skinner a little longer to do things right. I put up all of my own fur but if I were paying someone to put my coyotes up I wouldn't be happy with a mediocre job.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:10 PM

The guys I am referring to have more than one top lot that they have put up. With the price of fuel and trapping equipment these days why would anyone trap might as well put up fur. I am painfully slow. And I can put up 3 an hour short of washing. That would be 90 an hour!
Old 12-09-2018, 01:37 PM

The price of a service is all relative to what people are willing to pay. I have skinned a few coyotes for people who lived near by or were friends of friends. i charged them $40 becuase it was more of a hassel that anything and i already have a fulltime job. I also skinned a small black bear for a guy for $150.

You name your price and people choose to pay it. I am deffinately not gods gift to skinning and got the price i offered, the price a guy charges does not always equate to skill.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 PM
AO Sponsor

$55 anyone???

55 going 60????

You will certainly get the goodest good job then?

Last edited by Marty S; 12-09-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 AM

$20-25 is fair in my opinion, $30 seems a little high but if thatís what they get in your area then I guess thatís what you pay.

$10 each for the local ranch hand likely doesnít happen too often these days with the popularity of social media and the fact you canít bull **** them into thinking thatís good money these days.

Regardless almost anybody is going to get the most they absolutely can for the job theyíre doing. Certainly canít blame them.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 AM
AO Sponsor

My whole point is to make people aware of their options, in hopes that folks aren't being taken advantage of. In doing so, it is quite possible that the odd guy that is over charging for custom skinning might get a little hot under the collar.

So currently, as of today, I am now aware of 7 guys/outfits that are in the $15 a coyote range, and they for the most part do very good work. I can't speak for them all. I am currently using a guy at $13 a coyote that is supposed to know what he is doing, and I'll be looking closely at his work and correct things if necessary. Snared coyotes I might mention, I'll pay him a premium for shot goods according to he extent of damage.

Generally, the better a man is at his work, the faster he can do his work, and the better his work will be... and the less he will have to charge.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
My whole point is to make people aware of their options, in hopes that folks aren't being taken advantage of. In doing so, it is quite possible that the odd guy that is over charging for custom skinning might get a little hot under the collar.

So currently, as of today, I am now aware of 7 guys/outfits that are in the $15 a coyote range, and they for the most part do very good work. I can't speak for them all. I am currently using a guy at $13 a coyote that is supposed to know what he is doing, and I'll be looking closely at his work and correct things if necessary. Snared coyotes I might mention, I'll pay him a premium for shot goods according to he extent of damage.

Generally, the better a man is at his work, the faster he can do his work, and the better his work will be... and the less he will have to charge.
😜. When I got better and faster at my work I got paid more not less.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:35 AM
AO Sponsor

Hourly wage, I suspect?

Different concept than piecework. The piecework guy can charge less as he gets better cuz he's faster and gets way more pieces done per hour than the less skilled.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Hourly wage, I suspect?

Different concept than piecework. The piecework guy can charge less as he gets better cuz he's faster and gets way more pieces done per hour than the less skilled.
Marty brings up a good point, plus he is also probably providing this guy with many a coyote..if a skinner is able to skin a lot of coyotes for $15 dollars per...or not a lot of coyotes for $20 per..I kinda think he would take the 15. It's different for say 50 or so coyotes a year..this at 15 dollars is hardly worth the time..so maybe the skinner charges more to make it worth while. where as 500-1000 coyotes per year well $15 dollars per doesn't seem so bad anymore. plus it doesn't burn the guy who is having them skinned...$20 per is a lot of cash over that many dawgs.

Tbh people seem to be getting worked up about wanting to be right (as per usual). Pay the guy what he is asking to skin..or skin it yourself...or find someone else.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:05 PM

Is the skinner really charging 30 bucks for good snared coyotes?? Maybe for the 30-06 deer season gutless method coyote. Or coyotes riding in the back of the farm truck for a week full of matted straw and green bellies. If your coyotes are snared and looked after I bet the charge is less. I could be wrong but 30 bucks seems like a awful lot for a clean snared coyote.