Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2018, 07:13 PM

Default Walleye in Coal?

I was out fishing today on Coal and I had 2 fish swim by that I swear looked like walleye. And no I didn’t have a drop of alcohol in my system. I saw them on camera about 8 ft away. The water wasn’t the clearest so I’m not sure what they were. We have caught some big suckers out of there but it didn’t look like those and these looked around 3-4 lbs. if anyone has noticed any weird fish in there can they post it.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I was out fishing today on Coal and I had 2 fish swim by that I swear looked like walleye. And no I didn’t have a drop of alcohol in my system. I saw them on camera about 8 ft away. The water wasn’t the clearest so I’m not sure what they were. We have caught some big suckers out of there but it didn’t look like those and these looked around 3-4 lbs. if anyone has noticed any weird fish in there can they post it.
Two years ago I could of sworn I saw walleye in the camera also. Friends of mine were convinced what i saw were suckers. I never did get anyone to comment on it when I asked . I saw the white spot on the tail.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:31 PM

Spent many hours with a camera in old coal lake and personally never saw any wallies but havent been there for 3 years now do maybe it's a recent thing. They are definitely in dried meat tho and it's very possible they found a way into coal. I fished the north end exclusively. Did you figure you saw them up on the north end?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 AM

There are perch in Coal, a big perch might look like a walleye at a distace, they are related species and both have that fin with spines on their back, though a perch's is less pronounced.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have caught a lot of perch in there but these fish were longer than any jumbos I’ve caught. Hopefully I will catch one or get a better look at em. I’ve only fished the north end.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:01 PM

How is the ice on Coal, any 3/4 ton trucks driving on, looking at tomorrow to go
Old 01-25-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
How is the ice on Coal, any 3/4 ton trucks driving on, looking at tomorrow to go
I drove on there 3 weeks ago with my diesel. Must be at least 18-20” by now. I came in on the north end.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:45 PM

There could be walleye in coal. It connects to the battle river. Not sure how they would climb the dam though. Don’t think there’s a fish ladder.
While we on the topic, perch in dried meat? Regs say so. I’ve never seen or heard of perch there. Anyone else?
Old 01-25-2019, 11:06 PM

There are a ton of suckers in Coal
Old 01-25-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
There could be walleye in coal. It connects to the battle river. Not sure how they would climb the dam though. Don’t think there’s a fish ladder.
While we on the topic, perch in dried meat? Regs say so. I’ve never seen or heard of perch there. Anyone else?
My family has had a cabin at driedmeat for like 50 years....I remember grandpa telling me in the 80s they would catch perch....but I've never seen any in the 30 years I've fished there....mind you I'm usually too busy peeling pike off to really notice lol. I've heard people say there are walleye upstream of the dam and in driedmeat as well....but again never seen it.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
My family has had a cabin at driedmeat for like 50 years....I remember grandpa telling me in the 80s they would catch perch....but I've never seen any in the 30 years I've fished there....mind you I'm usually too busy peeling pike off to really notice lol. I've heard people say there are walleye upstream of the dam and in driedmeat as well....but again never seen it.
I’ve seen walleye caught in driedmeat. A few times.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I’ve seen walleye caught in driedmeat. A few times.
I figured there were.....I've just never caught one or seen first hand. Guess maybe next time I'm down there I'll see if I can find some.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
The walleye migration to the lake from the river would be same way the Perch transplant bucket brigade seems to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pail.jpg (36.5 KB, 18 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 01-25-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 PM

30 some years ago, mid 80's, I took my kids tobogganning on the Coal Lake hills and while they played I chopped a hole in the middle of the lake. No one else was fishing the whole north end of the lake. No old holes anywhere either. I dropped a small minnow shaped rubbertail down to the bottom in about 6 or so feet of water. 30 seconds of my hook being in the water and I had a 13 inch perch on the ice. In 20 minutes I caught 8 or 9 perch that were 12 to 13 inches. Kids got bored so we went tobogganing. I went a few times after that and caught smaller perch but never hit big perch another day like that first time. A decade later more and more people went there and fished it out for big perch. Also gets hit with blue algae in the summer once in a while. Remember seeing dead fish and birds along the shore. Big 20 lb. dead pike and lots of dead perch.

I wouldn't doubt there would still be a few big perch in Coal. Key word - "few" The lake did have good sized perch so the potential is there.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-26-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
I drove on there 3 weeks ago with my diesel. Must be at least 18-20” by now. I came in on the north end.
Thanks for the update