Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Not a chance will sandblasting warp cast iron. Have you ever sandblasted anything? I have. It may affect thin sheet metal but thick cast is not an issue unless you blast far, far beyond merely cleaning the surface off.

I won't comment n collectability, just utility.
It won't warp it, but if this is a rare piece, it'll destroy any value and possibly a piece of history. It's not hard to tell when a piece has been sandblasted, even with a gentler medium like walnut shells. Some US pieces are selling for thousands of $$$, seen a bread pan sell for $21,000. Sandblast that and value is gone.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Wanna take a dip? It won't hurt too much
Jed Clampett would have been into that,lol course I would have been into Elly May .
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
It won't warp it, but if this is a rare piece, it'll destroy any value and possibly a piece of history. It's not hard to tell when a piece has been sandblasted, even with a gentler medium like walnut shells. Some US pieces are selling for thousands of $$$, seen a bread pan sell for $21,000. Sandblast that and value is gone.
That's big money for a bread pan,that probably sold in the beginning for less than dollar.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Take the ol'dirty bugger down to the creek, scrub the hell out of it with sand, smear it with lard and chuck it on the fire...next morning cook up some bacon.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 PM

I not to sure what to do for cleaning up the pan because I only bought new and keep it clean but I really like the camp chef cast iron seasoning. Works really well so far.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/28518...on-conditioner

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-27-2018, 09:00 PM

IMG_0687.jpg Every time i try to up load the next picture which indicates made in Canada it says unable to upload?
Old 02-27-2018, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ever eat a German bagel? Lye is used in quite a few foods. Oven cleaner is fine, sodium hydroxide is the active ingredient. I clean all cast iron in a lye tank.
Eaten a German bagel? Yes. Oven cleaner? No, Yourself? What's your point? Iodine's added to salt but I ain't going to drink a bottle of that either.

Why would you even bother using something as caustic as a lye tank? It's not necessary nor required. There's a lot of simpler, safer ways to do it. Did you see the picture of the pan? Doesn't need hardly any cleaning at all let alone a caustic tank dip.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Eaten a German bagel? Yes. Oven cleaner? No, Yourself? What's your point? Iodine's added to salt but I ain't going to drink a bottle of that either.

Why would you even bother using something as caustic as a lye tank? It's not necessary nor required. There's a lot of simpler, safer ways to do it. Did you see the picture of the pan? Doesn't need hardly any cleaning at all let alone a caustic tank dip.
I've been using lye for years now in cleaning cast iron. It eats organic materials, and some metals - like aluminum. If people are that concerned, wipe it down with a bit of vinegar to neutralize it, lye is also water soluble. It was used in soap.

i've seen more old expensive iron ruined in the name of bad advice - and I've destroyed a few pieces when I was starting out cause I was impatient. Mechanical cleaning should not be used. Especially with old virgin iron - it's not like the scrap that was used after WW2.

If it's a new piece that's replaceable, feel free. But mind you, some people are sanding down their new skillets - only to find out it won't hold seasoning.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Take the ol'dirty bugger down to the creek, scrub the hell out of it with sand, smear it with lard and chuck it on the fire...next morning cook up some bacon.
This would work for sure sand alone with water is a powerful pan cleaner, done it lots in the bush, some lard an throw it in the fire let it get smoking hot and while its cooling clean it up and lets get cooking
Old 02-28-2018, 05:43 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
Attachment 143237 Every time i try to up load the next picture which indicates made in Canada it says unable to upload?
So that was the pic just as the ol'lady swong the pan at your head after your comment about her cooking

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-28-2018, 08:09 AM

When I worked at the foundry we'd just shot blast them with steel pellets. I'm sure sandblasting would be fine.

For seasoning, coat it in peanut oil and bake it.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Attachment 143237 Every time i try to up load the next picture which indicates made in Canada it says unable to upload?
Does it say Findlay on the bottom?
Old 02-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
The science behind seasoning, mind you it is from the internet so who knows.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/
That all sounds pretty logical to me. I may try to pick up some flaxseed oil to try out. The dutch ovens our Scout group has tend to not get the care they deserve, but do get deep cleaned occasionally and then re-seasoned. Can't speak decisively for everyone in our group, but typically not anything as excessive as sandblasting or oven cleaner... more often elbow grease, course salt, and all else failing a mild detergent. When I do it, I have used the Camp Chef conditioner to season. Not sure what it is made out of, but almost certainly not pure flaxseed as it gets quite viscous when cold. It's probably 50 cents worth of goop that they bottle, put the Camp Chef name on, and sell for $12.

Good luck to the OP in keepin on with your project... hope it ends up being worth $21k!
Old 02-28-2018, 11:28 AM

Heavy amounts of Salt in pan on a large hot burner outside until it turns molten as taught to me by a 75 year old chef 30 years ago
Takes 3-4 hours and produces copious amounts of smoke.
Tiger torch optional

I looked at the reflection in the bottom of the OP's pan pic and I think it is a Klingon Pan cuz the reflection looks like Worf

Last edited by omega50; 02-28-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
Does it say Findlay on the bottom?
No , It says GSW
Old 02-28-2018, 11:40 AM

General Steel Wares, Toronto. Still a nice piece, 50-100 dollars. Good buy for 2 bucks. Findlay is around the same price.

http://castironcanada.com/?page_id=138
Old 02-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
When I worked at the foundry we'd just shot blast them with steel pellets. I'm sure sandblasting would be fine.

For seasoning, coat it in peanut oil and bake it.
Which foundry did you work at?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Which foundry did you work at?
Lethbridge Iron, was only there for around 7 years or so.
Old 02-28-2018, 07:06 PM

My skillet is sticky/tacky !
I seasoned my pan 3 times today. Each time was very lightly coated and in the oven at 350 for 1 hour each time. now that my pan has cooled it is sticky /tacky to the touch. Do I have to start over or can the pan be used as is?
Old 02-28-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I seasoned my pan 3 times today. Each time was very lightly coated and in the oven at 350 for 1 hour each time. now that my pan has cooled it is sticky /tacky to the touch. Do I have to start over or can the pan be used as is?
Oil was put on to thick, hot soapy water and a good scrubbing should take it down to base again.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-28-2018, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Just emailed you back with a how to.

To everyone else, in order to season, you need to breech the smoke point of the oil you're using. Olive oil is 391 degrees, so 425 or 450 will do the job. But it's going to stink.