Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2018, 07:32 PM

Default Budget - Question for Vets amd serving military on here

Is this a step in the right direction and does it solve the outstanding issues?

Budget Breakdown

The government will introduce legislation for the Pension for Life plan, which will include benefits to support Canada’s veterans. The benefit would recognize pain and suffering caused by a service-related disability up to a maximum amount of $2,650. Another option is income replacement for veterans who are facing barriers returning to work after military service at 90% of their pre-release salary. Pension For Life means that a 25-year-old retired Corporal who is 100% disabled would receive more than $5,800 in monthly support, a 50-year-old retired major who is 100% disabled, monthly support would be almost $9,000.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

It's a step but like everything will need tweaking based on case to case situations.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-27-2018, 08:29 PM

You will still have to fight tooth and nail to get any of it and they will not pay if they don't think you will fight for it.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:38 PM

Is the disability pay out a schedule that is consistent rank to rank and the only thing that varies is the pensionable base which increases as your rank increases.

or

Does the disability schedule vary by rank, increasing for the same type of disability as the rank increases?
Old 02-27-2018, 10:26 PM

I am currently receiving a 'pension for life', as that was standard before the current pension system was put in place in 2011.
Sounds like allot at 100%, but That would be hard to receive and Very few would receive that disability rate. I haven't read the proposals, but in order to receive 100% disability you'd probably have to be completely comatose or near death...
Most Vet's would fall in the 25% range cause Veterans Affairs seems to really like that number regardless of your injury.

I also receive pensions under the 2011 Veterans Charter, in that I received lump sum payments along with continued financial support for care.

Both systems seem fair, however for me, at 63yoa, getting a lump sum works (I applied late well after retirement). Giving a lump sum of a few hundred thousand to a 20 something Vet who lost a leg is hardly fair at all.

I know many Vets who have had to fight with VA for their benefits, but I have been fortunate ( it's Not really fortunate to get injured while serving your country, but when you play with people who want to kill you, **** happens and as a soldier you just carry on until you can't). VA has treated me well and I will never slag them. I just hope they treat ALL Vets with the dignity and respect they/we all deserve.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 AM

Either pay them their regular wage with normal progression wages as if they were still in until retirement.... OR
They should receive their pension as if they served 25 years.

Then receive a medical portion based on pain and suffering. Indexed off what a Doctor says not a VA claims adjuster.
They should receive a one time lump sum to cover cost of medical and home care. (As wheel chair ramps, new bath tubs, beds etc to carry them through their life back to as normal as be).
Then receive money funds at regular intervals to replace expensive equipment such as wheel chairs, specialty beds etc.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:52 AM
Banned

Empty promises......no matter what Justin has to say. He campaigned on the promise that Veterans wouldn’t have to challenge the government in court over this AND to return to a lifelong pension for disabled Veterans. He reneged on both promises and now says that Veterans are asking for more than he can give. They’re asking for him to keep his promises......that’s it.

Now he’s saying exactly what in the budget? Re-promising a previous promise..... Any Veteran that believes that Justin intends to fulfill his first promise, let alone new promises, is out of their flipping mind!

Right now Seman O’Reambutt, or whatever the flip his name is, is doing townhall meetings to explain the new Liberal pension system. I read an article in the left wing Ottawa Citizen explaining that the new Liberal pension would actually give less to disabled Veterans than what they are currently getting. I kid you not, I think that the pension was less than $1300/month if I remember correctly.

Justin is a bold faced lying sob who’ll promise everything and never deliver anything.