Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2018, 09:03 AM

Default How soon is too soon

Lost my girl/best friend on Saturday. Her body just gave out on her. She was the best dog in the world for almost 10 years. Putting her down was the hardest thing ive ever done. We have had pit bulls for almost 15 years and this is the first time in that period we haven't had one. We adopted a one eyed French bulldog a month ago, so we aren't dogless. Its just not the same as having big dogs around. My wife wants to wait quite a long time to get another dog, if ever. I would like to soon, but am I just trying to fill the hole she left. Thoughts and experiences please
Old 02-26-2018, 09:07 AM

Sorry to hear, always tough to lose a best friend. I had one pass away a few years ago, it took a couple years before I was ready to get another one. I knew I was ready when I stopped comparing the dogs i was looking at to the one I lost. That hole can't be filled but it does heal up with time, hang in there.

RIP Tundra.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:20 AM

I decided to wait for quite a while. I was having less and less time for the dogs as the kids are getting older and would like to wait till we are out of town for the next one.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:07 PM

Had a German Shephard for about 10 years his hips gave out and had to put him down was one of the hardest things, felt lost without him going for drives, taking him snowshoeing and just hanging out . Got another dog a few months later as felt lost without him but I got a different breed as didn't want to be comparing the pup to my old faithful. Got an American Bulldog he's now 3 and definently part of the family😀
Old 02-26-2018, 12:42 PM

Sorry for your loss, right now are are still watching our 14 year old chocolate lab, she was the the star for bird hunting, it will be hard when she does start failing heath wise
Old 02-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Guess it depends on how it impacts your lifestyle. In my case I wouldn't have had a dog for duck hunting the next fall, so I got one again PDQ. You never forget the old one, but the new one brings in a bit of fresh air and helps a lot with the adjustment. It likely helps that you still have another one, but, I'll bet its behaviour has changed with the lack of company. Made a difference when I got the pup in that the obvious anxiety of not having the other dog, which was her buddy, went away in very short order.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:38 PM
Banned

I`ve lost a few over 40 years. Best thing I figured was to find somebody you can love and take them home. Right now
I have a Basset hound I got after my good dog Wiley passed. She is an amazing tough sweet pup, got her at 8 weeks. She is 2 years now, loves all of us, will take your hand off if you reach in my open truck window, can beat the crap out of any big dog. Loves the grandkids and is an amazing watchdog. And a great sleeping dog, curls up against your chest, like a 55 pound Teddybear. And cute as hell, a great chick magnet.! Too bad I`m married.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:52 PM

Our bulldog of 10 years passed away last year. He was a huge part of the family and was a tough loss. Me and the wife agreed it just wasn't the same with an empty house, so we got a puppy a month later. Now we have 3 bulldogs and it's a madhouse around here but in a great way. Everyone is different but this worked for us.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
Our bulldog of 10 years passed away last year. He was a huge part of the family and was a tough loss. Me and the wife agreed it just wasn't the same with an empty house, so we got a puppy a month later. Now we have 3 bulldogs and it's a madhouse around here but in a great way. Everyone is different but this worked for us.
^^^^^
That`s what I`m talking about. My beauty dog died, so I got Abby the basset and I don`t cry anymore.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:17 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sorry to hear this but you will know when it is time.
No magic circle on the calander or anything like that just let things play out.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-26-2018, 05:23 PM

Condolences on your loss.

But, you Adopted a one eyed Frenchie. Good for you, that's a very Noble thing to do. I'm sure your girl's spirit lives within that wonderful dog.
Again, good on you for adopting a dog with medical issues and my sincere condolences on the loss of your pitty.

I have lost enough dogs that I just can't bear the thought of digging another hole, the loss of my last dog literally gave me a heart attack.
You have a dog, love it to death.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:05 PM

So sorry to hear. All us dog lovers know where your coming from. I just went thru this last month with my girl in her prime. As all people have said in time it gets a little easier. Something that gave me solemn was someone saying she was something special. Just think, you were they lucky SOB that got to luv her for the past 7 years! Helped me put in perspective after being crushed.

You will know when the time is right. By waiting to long you will miss out what could have been. I hope to have a puppy myself in hand by end of year if the stars align with the breeding i want and yes it will be same breed and color. They are all their own personalities so don’t have to worry about comparing 🙂