Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Cabot

Default Coyotes not going near my bait pile

Hey guys,

question! I've been baiting coyotes for 2 weeks now in the middle of a coral I made a few months back. They were going in there not problem along with the darn ravens. 5 days ago, I put my snares up in all the doors and nothing. I've seen their tracks in the snow today, they go around it but won't go near it. I caught a big raven today...freshly caught, I released it. Is there a reason you guys could come up with as to why they won't come close?

Hoping they'll get a little more hungry soon.

Cabot
Old 11-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Turney

i pm
cabit
Old 11-16-2005, 01:17 PM
nube

I would like to know as well because it seems like they eat the bait like crazy untill the snares are up. I boil the snare and don't leave much for tracks and can't figure it out. I even wore rubber glove
Old 11-22-2005, 09:04 PM
Snaring co

Default Snaring coyote

Don't expect to snare to many coyote near the bait area, leave those snare in place , find the route where they travel on the way to the bait, like near a fence or along side a building, place the snare on that route. Along side the fence would be the best.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 AM
snaring

Default snaring

Your corral might be too confining. I catch coyotes close to the bait but they need a little room.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:55 PM
Cabot

Default Re: snaring

Bushmaster,

Your comment is correct, I think my coral is a little too confining. I caught many since I last wrote my first comment. The fence line on crawl throughs was my answer.

Thanks for your replies guys.

Cabot.