Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-16-2018, 11:15 PM
Banned

Default the hell, you say!

got a call from a friend near milk river today; his wife saw a griz walking across their pasture, so she took some pics of it......they then got in the pickup and went out to get some more pics...he also saw if from about 50 yds.

when it noticed them, it took off north towards the river and they didn't see it again.

from the pics, it was definitely a mature, healthy, big bear that was minding his own business and hopefully, just passing through. nice to know there is the odd one around, as they are threatened everywhere and should be able to go about their business unmolested.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:38 AM
Suspended User

That's great. Finally getting a healthy enough population to return to the home range. I am hearing this in various parts of the province. Another just reported at Innisfail.
Biologists may **** some people off, but why worry about them. Its the animals that biologists are worrying about, not hurt feelings.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:00 AM

Not surprising, evidently there are grizzlies regularly spotted all along the Milk river Ridge for the past few yrs. Grizzlies have inhabited the Porcupine Hills as well. I've been seeing those for the past 5 yrs
Old 06-17-2018, 08:18 AM

We've been seeing lots of Blacks & Grizz this year.

Normally we spot 10 to 30 over the whole year, so far we've spotted 20, and the season is just getting underway.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:39 AM

Hopefully he doesn't come back
Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDave View Post
That's great. Finally getting a healthy enough population to return to the home range. I am hearing this in various parts of the province. Another just reported at Innisfail.
Biologists may **** some people off, but why worry about them. Its the animals that biologists are worrying about, not hurt feelings.
Y2Y member right here ^

Except there’s no rafts of drowned buffalo or newborn buffalo calves to feed them. But there is people, livestock and grain. Why don’t you go offer yourself up to your bear-god as sustenance.

It USED to be their home range. It sure as heck isn’t now. Hope that bear gets a bullet and plowed into a dead pit.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Y2Y member right here ^

Except there’s no rafts of drowned buffalo or newborn buffalo calves to feed them. But there is people, livestock and grain. Why don’t you go offer yourself up to your bear-god as sustenance.

It USED to be their home range. It sure as heck isn’t now. Hope that bear gets a bullet and plowed into a dead pit.
Its no wonder wildlife management in the province struggles when the community that should have it most top of mind thinks like this. The bear hasn't done anything wrong just walked through and lets put a bullet in it.. You use the same mentality when you think deer or elk are where they shouldn't be?
Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Banned

i KNEW it! hee, hee...........what a trouble maker, eh?

truthfully tho, i looked at those pics and thought it was a pretty neat thing, even if i'm not very interested in meeting up with one while i'm out minding my own business. if you could rely on them leaving you alone, would it be ok to see another critter just wandering around?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Y2Y member right here ^

Where should the Bears immigrate to?..is there a DACA pasture program..
or is it just bullets & holes in the ground as solutions for nature.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Where should the Bears immigrate to?..is there a DACA pasture program..
or is it just bullets & holes in the ground as solutions for nature.
They shouldn’t. The population should be maintained in appropriate habitat. More precisely, uninhabited mountain areas should be on draw, to keep the population at or slightly below carrying capacity to allow for natural fluctuations.

any areas outside that range should be on a general season.

The prairie is no longer the habitat of the grizzly.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:

"..The population should be maintained keep the population at or slightly below carrying capacity to allow for natural fluctuations.."

"..The prairie is no longer the habitat of the grizzly.."
Could also be said of us, our species population should also be maintained
to allow for natural flucuations...our placement, numbers, SXS's, campgrounds,
activities, etc, far exceed into the the bear's neighbourhood.
Our species is everywhere, not the other way around
Old 06-17-2018, 01:52 PM

Default Where would they find the buffalo??

3blade; just wondering as above, the nearest Buffalo are about 10000 km's away in Asia. But we did used to have the odd plains Bison around, maybe those??
Old 06-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
They shouldn’t. The population should be maintained in appropriate habitat. More precisely, uninhabited mountain areas should be on draw, to keep the population at or slightly below carrying capacity to allow for natural fluctuations.

Bingo.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
WOW~~a flipping PETA thought seeping out onto a hunting forum. I've never heard a of a bear with title to the land, until that happens they are just squatters on the land.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
WOW~~a flipping PETA thought seeping out onto a hunting forum. I've never heard a of a bear with title to the land, until that happens they are just squatters on the land.
LOL, here comes the insults in disguise already..oh and 'no where' near
any PETA affiliations, supporter, nor lover this one..
Old 06-17-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Careful that bear might eat a hundred bucks of grain. And it’s scary, so kill it. That heard if mulies is free to eat though.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
they shouldn’t. The population should be maintained in appropriate habitat. More precisely, uninhabited mountain areas should be on draw, to keep the population at or slightly below carrying capacity to allow for natural fluctuations.

Any areas outside that range should be on a general season.

this ^^^
Old 06-17-2018, 08:40 PM

C'mon Guys .... it was that grizzly bear named Berkley from I believe Innesfield who must of been lookin for a local Dairy Queen.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Careful that bear might eat a hundred bucks of grain. And it’s scary, so kill it. That heard if mulies is free to eat though.
Actually they'll do more damage than a hundred buck worth of grain. I had a black hanging out in an oat field a few years ago on the back side of a hill so not readily seen from the road. By the time of harvest that bear had mostly levelled about three acres. What wasn't eaten was laid flat. Yeah not bank breaking but it all adds up. Throw in the elk in the bales over winter, bears in the oats and it adds up
Old 06-17-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Actually they'll do more damage than a hundred buck worth of grain. I had a black hanging out in an oat field a few years ago on the back side of a hill so not readily seen from the road. By the time of harvest that bear had mostly levelled about three acres. What wasn't eaten was laid flat. Yeah not bank breaking but it all adds up. Throw in the elk in the bales over winter, bears in the oats and it adds up
Until they start doing some real damage to granola bar shelves in a local Safeway, most younger outdoorsmen will be fine with them.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:37 PM

Innisfail sighting turned out just to be a big hairy steer wrestler stumbling around the Daines Ranch early in the morning, was sighted by a girl who had left her contacts in for 3 days.
Tracks and scat looked exactly the same though.

DNA from hair samples off the zipper of her tent came back as only 5% Grizzly bear.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Suspended User

Quote:
Y2Y member right here ^

And this is why biologists look at people like you with disgust. Uneducated without a grasp of what you think you know. Glad people with your mentality are considered a joke.
Your opinion is great to voice, it really makes the people in charge know that you are to be ignored. You aren't helping your cause, but you sure are helping the grizzly. Keep it up.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 AM
Banned

since my original post, i've been talking around and been informed there are 7 grizzlies up on the milk river ridge that we know of.......can someone with a grasp on reality explain why there is a shortage of grizzlies?

i've got no hate on for the bears, they need a place to live, but when i was raised here in the 50's/60's, you would have been called insane if you told someone you saw a bear, let alone 7 in one summer (which is unconfirmed by me, by the way)
Old 06-19-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Until they start doing some real damage to granola bar shelves in a local Safeway, most younger outdoorsmen will be fine with them.
Reminds me of the black bear that walked through the automatic doors at Freson's IGA in Peace River a few years back. Helped himself to the doughnuts and baked goods stacked near the front and walked back out.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:44 AM

Please send coordinates of bear, Family ready to get it!

This is the public mentality of hunters right now which is why our sport will be eliminated sooner than later. Social pressure will dictate that if the thought is shoot everything that moves.

Quote:
Y2Y member right here ^

Attached Images
File Type: jpg redneck pic.jpg (65.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 06-19-2018, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

could have closed the thread after this response, well said
Old 06-19-2018, 01:33 PM

Somebody asked me what would scare the bears out of the mountains. I replied bigger bears. I've seen tracks on colony property on the north side of the ridge for going on 6-7 years. F7W had a bear warning signs posted the fall when a sow and 3 cubs were hanging around. Take bear spray when shooting gophers or checking fence.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
Somebody asked me what would scare the bears out of the mountains. I replied bigger bears. I've seen tracks on colony property on the north side of the ridge for going on 6-7 years. F7W had a bear warning signs posted the fall when a sow and 3 cubs were hanging around. Take bear spray when shooting gophers or checking fence.
Yup, it won't be long before we hear about the first maulings on the prairies. I hazard to guess the majority of alberta's population has no clue.

Somebodies kid(s) going to visit family on farms, or landowners kids used to heading to the creek to go fishing or catch frogs etc....it will be so innocent...i hope i never have to read about something like that.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM

We should just live in cages and let the bears have at it.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Yup, it won't be long before we hear about the first maulings on the prairies. I hazard to guess the majority of alberta's population has no clue.

Somebodies kid(s) going to visit family on farms, or landowners kids used to heading to the creek to go fishing or catch frogs etc....it will be so innocent...i hope i never have to read about something like that.
You do realize how many families visit the mountains for various activities where chances of run ins with bears is way more common? Not to mention all the people who live and raise kids in bear country which is a much bigger area then the southern prairies of Alberta. You make it sound like they’re here to lay waste to our neck of the woods. Yes the odd one will become a problem and he’ll get dealt with accordingly, same as anywhere else. I live on and make my living looking after livestock on the prairies and I’d love to see the odd grizz wandering around.