Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
This is a very wrong statement,who are you to judge others feelings and thoughts on how they conduct there lives.They probably got more balls in there baby finger then you have in your whole body,please explain why they don't recognize others problems.
Explain........ha ha to you I haven't got that much time, nor the desire.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsnacks View Post
I mean Yes and No.

Yes it's a good thing that a homeowner protected his family and property and didn't get charged or sent to Jail. Cause like everyone on here, if your family was in danger, you're not thinking of the consequences, you're doing whatever it takes.

But at the same time, we don't want to turn into some crazy nation, where we are shooting at anything that moves on our property. He claims they were around his vehicles, the increased number of stolen vehicles in AB is crazy, still don't mean they deserve to get shot. What if they were going through his garbage, then what? Or did he at least give them some sort of warning before firing?
Obviously my family's safety is above a criminals' but it's a tough one, you can't always recover from a bullet, especially if there was a misunderstanding. But at the same time you don't know their motives.
In the house, shoot every bullet you got lol
Outside, I think there are better alternatives, let's keep the bullets for the sick criminals like rapists, not car jacks.
Two things I always tell my kids. (1) Try and avoid trouble, if you go looking for it you might find it. (2)Look after yourself first because no one else can to that better than yourself. Thieves and ****heads never learnt the first teaching or ignore it. And our legal system doesn’t condone my second teaching but thieves sure take advantage of the second. They just extract the moral component out of it. And as far as our legal system: Buddy just got lucky he’s not in jail.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
The absurdity is to lead people on that something has changed......

Legally we still can’t effect force to defend our property.

Legally you can’t shoot at someone and hope to not get embroiled in a legal nightmare.

The thief got nicked by a richochet, and Mr. Maurice went through a virtual wringer, both emotionally and financially, so the crown could at the nearest to last moment drop the charges. Where’s the justice in that?

The punishment is the system, and that my friend has defiantly not changed one bit.

It’s absurd to conclude otherwise, unless of course, you’re just being a passive aggressive troll.
Agreed 1000%

WTF is up with dropping the charges at the last possible second? That was done with intent.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Agreed 1000%

WTF is up with dropping the charges at the last possible second? That was done with intent.

Exactly, cause as much frustration and money as possible for the accused, before dropping the charges. Essentially, punish the accused as much as possible without an actual trial.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:37 AM
Banned

Sure nothing has changed legally but I think the average person's mindset is changing in which they are tired of being victims and will protect themselves and their property.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Sure nothing has changed legally but I think the average person's mindset is changing in which they are tired of being victims and will protect themselves and their property.
Hopefully it will give some criminals a reason to have some apprehension about their next theft too.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Hopefully it will give some criminals a reason to have some apprehension about their next theft too.
Hopefully but doubtful. Had a couple of break ins around the area recently. I suppose if one criminal at a time are to live under the threat of meeting their maker it might curtail their activities.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:20 AM

Let’s just hope that the criminals realize there’s consequences and not put innocent families in the predicament of having to defend themselves that’s a whole lot of unnecessary stress.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hopefully but doubtful. Had a couple of break ins around the area recently. I suppose if one criminal at a time are to live under the threat of meeting their maker it might curtail their activities.
Aren't you the guy who invited thieves to rob your neighbors then bring you the evidence so you could shoot them? The guy with loaded rifles on your bed, sofa and kitchen table? And bait. And booby traps.

Is your trigger finger getting itchy?
Old 06-23-2018, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cageyc View Post
Let’s just hope that the criminals realize there’s consequences and not put innocent families in the predicament of having to defend themselves that’s a whole lot of unnecessary stress.
I suppose a guy could ask the people that were at edourds and geralds residence how they feel about stealing stuff? It would be interesting to know if a lesson has been learned
Old 06-23-2018, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
Aren't you the guy who invited thieves to rob your neighbors then bring you the evidence so you could shoot them? The guy with loaded rifles on your bed, sofa and kitchen table? And bait. And booby traps.

Nope not itchy at all. Didn't invite anyone to be a thief. Just stated that many of my neighbors would not put up with criminal activity. Miscommunication on my part perhaps
Old 06-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post

Hes planned it all out including his defence and the lawyers hes asked for in the past....
Old 06-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Default On win for the good guys

In honor of Eddie having charges dropped I am naming my new 9mm "Eddie".
Excuse me now while I go practice my bank shots on some card board cut outs.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Mischief charges.

Hmmm

Could there be something else at play for the charges to be dropped?

Perhaps, the theives fabricated the gunshot wound story, and got caught knee deep in it.

There’s no precedence set, as the case never did go in front of the judge.

I’m happy for the property owner, but there’s no change in direction as to defending of ones property.
I am happy that the charge was withdrawn. Somewhere in the three articles I read in the Sun it was written that one of the thieves injury was from a bullet but from a ricochet and not a direct hit. I guess that this determined that it was a warning shot and not a deliberate attempt to shoot the thief.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Nothing has changed.

Having the charges dropped, equates to nothing in the legal world.
All it means is that the Crown knew that the evidence would not support the charge that was laid.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I believe if the crown wants the option of resuming the lawsuit against Maurice, the charges would have been 'Stayed', usually within a one year window to re-start proceedings. The charges being withdrawn means he's a free man, unless completely different evidence surfaces.

Great day for the Maurice's & society in general!
Withdrawn does not mean not guilty. The charge cannot be laid again. Stayed means that the crown is on a time limit or the charge will go away forever.
Most Crowns enter into a stay but have no intention of looking for further evidence.

Actually the same charge as withdrawn can not be laid again but other charges may be laid.

Last edited by covey ridge; 06-23-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:27 PM

Thumbs up Right on nice to hear

Fantastic!! we all have the rights to prevail over dirtbags that harm or steal from us! Good guy won scumbag lost!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 wild cat View Post
Fantastic!! we all have the rights to prevail over dirtbags that harm or steal from us! Good guy won scumbag lost!
I would not assume that we have that right because of the outcome of this case.

I think that at this time we should be happy that a good man is not going to jail.

If we a hoping for a precedent it will have to be another case at another time.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Banned

What would it take for a precedence to be set? I’m not even sure what a set precedent even means because it seems to me that legal system is somewhat fluid and can and will change with whatever way the wind blows.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
What would it take for a precedence to be set? I’m not even sure what a set precedent even means because it seems to me that legal system is somewhat fluid and can and will change with whatever way the wind blows.
I would say that would depend on what precedent is desired.

Since most of the interest here would be a precedent that would allow a home owner to defend their own property the case would require a not guilty verdict as a result of a successful argument of that right. Finding a verdict of not guilty for any other reason would not do.

The problem being an accused person facing a conviction for a very serious offense such as murder or an attempted murder does not want to go to jail and would expect their lawyer to do what it takes to get them off. There are many easier arguments that might lead to a not guilty verdict.

Last edited by covey ridge; 06-24-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:49 AM

http://calgarysun.com/news/local-new..._autoplay=true

This is a good read. Rural dwellers are getting pist and have had enough. Its so bad in places that insurance companies won’t cover the people’s farms and or businesses.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
We certainly have a legal right to protect ourselves, using only as much force as necessary.

This maybe useful reading:

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/o...-rlddp/p5.html
Old 06-25-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
So someone stealing pieces of my life away from me is not a sick criminal? I think of all the many hours, days, weeks, months and even years of my life I had to commit to doing hard work to get those things instead of spending that times with the people I love doing things that I enjoy, only to have some dirt bag show up and in 3 minutes he can steal away those parts of my life from me because he is to freaking lazy to do the hard work himself. You're telling me I just have to stand by and let him because the poor little darling doesn't deserve having to put his life on the line stealing parts of mine? I disagree absolutely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
Great News........rural citizens taking care of business while the RCMP are.......johnny come lately again.

I heard that the prices of backhoes are very reasonable these days, including used ones.
Maybe rural property owners will soon start buying them.............
I'd agree with them 100%.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtestorini View Post
We certainly have a legal right to protect ourselves, using only as much force as necessary.

This maybe useful reading:

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/o...-rlddp/p5.html
This is the problem. As much force as necessary? Each situation is and will be different. So edourd used as much force as was necessary in his mind but he was still charged. Some on here figure no force should be used and much prefer to hide under the bed.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
This is the problem. As much force as necessary? Each situation is and will be different. So edourd used as much force as was necessary in his mind but he was still charged. Some on here figure no force should be used and much prefer to hide under the bed.
"Take the woman, leave me!!!"
Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
"Take the woman, leave me!!!"
Pretty much the impression I get from previous posts on this subject matter
Old 06-25-2018, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
The fans of "no force" are usually people who live in a larger town or city where cops are only a few minutes away. They have no clue what is like to call for help from the police and have them show up 1-2 hours later.

Any real physical threat (thieves entering your home) will be long gone by then. If you do not do something to defend yourself, you and your family may be at huge risk of injury or worse. Those that think "hiding under the bed" is the answer have no concept of this.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
The fans of "no force" are usually people who live in a larger town or city where cops are only a few minutes away. They have no clue what is like to call for help from the police and have them show up 1-2 hours later.

Any real physical threat (thieves entering your home) will be long gone by then. If you do not do something to defend yourself, you and your family may be at huge risk of injury or worse. Those that think "hiding under the bed" is the answer have no concept of this.
X2
Old 06-25-2018, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:

I can't speak for the hide under the bed , hug a crimminal crowd.
As far as I'm concerned my yard is my home.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:09 AM

A question if I may, what will Society accept when it comes to property crimes & mischief?

Do the courts allow it to remain the way it is, or does the ever changing system change with the times?

Canada along with a few other nations are trying to run a system that shows compassion towards others when it comes to crimes.

Many many other countries on this planet are not lenient in this way.

I could be wrong, and I hope I am,,, the day will come when insurance companies will charge a huge premium for fire and theft "if" the system continues on the path it's on. Last year we seen increases on our policy even though we have not claimed any-thing in those categories in 55 years.

Purhaps only the wealthiest will be able to afford this.

Our Nabours had thier $780.000 Combine stolden last fall,,, they followed the tracks and found it touched.

Lucky for them, the rest of the nabour folks with in the area helped bring in their crops. This was a huge set back.

Maybe people think that a person could walk into a farm equipment dealer ship and buy another like nothing, this spring our slip tank with a brand new fuel pump disappeared,,, wow,,, what a set back at planting time when we needed it most.

Yuppers,,, another $1300 bucks to replace what we had already had.

Insurance was going to pay us $500 to replace it after we paid the $500 premium,,, Ha,,, what a joke.

If we had full replacement insurance on every thing, then we and our nabours would be broke as we become slaves to the insurance companies.

The average farm operations in Western Canada run on a 1.6 to 4.8 million dollar budget,,, and beyond.

Imagine the cost of "full" replacement insurance costs on this now compared to what the increase "might" be in the years to come.

So what's the option for the hard working men and women that are trying to make a living for them selves and their families?

Is the system working for us, is it the one we want for our kids, and their children.

The old retired farm up the road had his $500 dollar trailer stolden,,, this was a huge set back for him and his wife since they we're trying to sell it so they could take the funds to buy a new washing machine for the house.

Retired, on a fixed income with very limited funds to live from day to day.

80 years young and have this happen after they worked hard all their lives to get to retirement.

Shame,,, shame on system that let them down.

Don