Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2018, 06:54 PM

Default Brisket Recipe

Going to try and smoke a Brisket for the first time on Friday. Anybody have a good marinade/rub/recipe they would liked to share?

Thanks
A.H.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:58 PM

Check out the smoker thread up in the stickies, I’m sure you’ll find a few to choose from
Old 06-20-2018, 08:41 PM

Default maranade

My brisket soak is 14 days for corned beef and 21 days for pastrami. Never tried anything quicker
Old 06-20-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.H. View Post
Going to try and smoke a Brisket for the first time on Friday. Anybody have a good marinade/rub/recipe they would liked to share?

Thanks
A.H.
I would tell you but I would have to kill you
Best thing is do some snooping on some BBQ websites ,I inject mine with a beer mix and rub with a dry rub and wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight.Can't really give any actual recipes I just do mine till it tastes and looks right I will say when I first started I picked this book https://www.amazon.ca/Smoke-Spice-Co...and+spice+book
Old 06-20-2018, 10:57 PM

Follow this recipie and you’ll be good.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...que-and-recipe
Old 06-21-2018, 12:20 AM

I have done 16 briskets from 8 to 14 pounds in my smoker. finally found a dry rub that really is tasty. Trial and error but the one thing that really changed the game was a wet mustard binder. Its a process trust me.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:03 AM

I keep my brisket simple and it turns out every time. I start with a basic rub, equal parts kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder. I give it a good coating with that. Second I do a light layer of Cattle Boys Smokin and Grillin rub, then I finish it off with a layer of Montreal steak spice. I place it in my smoker at 225-250 for approx 6-8 hours depending on the size. When the internal temp is at 160 or above I wrap it in foil and it goes back on at 300 for another 3-4 hour. You know its finished when your temp probe goes in like a hot knife though butter. Hope this helps

PS I really like the Cattle Boyz rubs, I use them on a lot of my BBQ. They are not too expensive and I like that they are Alberta company
Old 06-21-2018, 06:39 AM

I like Meat Church Holy Cow rub on brisket. As said earlier it is a process, so be patient. Go to youtube and search Franklin BBQ. He has good videos on all steps of brisket preparation.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 AM

I use Emiril's Brisket rub. Mix it up. Lay on a thick layer and put it in the fridge overnight Smoke like mentioned above, low and slow. Awesome.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...risket-3645076
Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 AM

Thank you all for the help. Exited for supper tomorrow night.!

A.H.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:56 AM

I agree with most steps on here. Just to throw a little mix in there, the winning team at the Porkapalooza BBQ Competition in Edmonton on the wkd cooks his brisket hot and fast style. I believe around 325 deg for around 6 hours. I haven't tried it yet but there is that option if you are in a time crunch. Myron Mixon (BBQ God) was one of the pioneers for the hot and fast method. If you try it, please let us know how it goes.
I think for a test, I might do both methods at the same time, on 2 different cookers of course, just to do a comparioson, would be a great trial.

Cheers,
SS
Old 06-21-2018, 11:53 AM

i usually give it a quick rub with worchistershire and then kosher salt / coarse pepper and garlic and a bit of the KC rub spice from peavey mart
did about a 14.5 lb brisket and boston butt last saturday on the offset smoker
13-1/2" hours cook time and couple hours of rest time in the cooler
wrapped in butcher paper during the stall cooked till internal temp of 198F
usually go a to 203 F but this one passed the probe test at 198 F

just remember a brisket is done when its done leave your self time
( i have had them take just over 18 hrs before just depends on the meat and fat content )
Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post
I agree with most steps on here. Just to throw a little mix in there, the winning team at the Porkapalooza BBQ Competition in Edmonton on the wkd cooks his brisket hot and fast style. I believe around 325 deg for around 6 hours. I haven't tried it yet but there is that option if you are in a time crunch. Myron Mixon (BBQ God) was one of the pioneers for the hot and fast method. If you try it, please let us know how it goes.
I think for a test, I might do both methods at the same time, on 2 different cookers of course, just to do a comparioson, would be a great trial.

Cheers,
SS
Well trained professional chefs have always known exactly when in the cook cycle the precise moment when flavour and texture align. They can work quickly because they understand the timing to ensure that the meat is pulled at the zenith of perfection.
Low and slow is a reliable training wheels like method that is used to get reliable results from unskilled weekend warriors.

As far as Myron Mixon being a pioneer for hot and fast, he likely encountered some equipment or logistics issues and had no choice but to do what he could do to make judging in the allotted time. I guess screwing up can make someone a Pioneer

High Delta T has always been most effective in the proper hands-Long before Myron was born.
Longer rest times are the key so it only makes sense to get the brisket to the resting point more quickly thus giving it more time to rest.

A lot of sins can be forgiven with a precise controlled rest

Last edited by omega50; 06-22-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpstick View Post

Cheers,
SS
If you watch a bunch of the videos of Aaron Franklin on YouTube, there's one in particular where he's talking about the cook temps being around 320-325F for his briskets. The guy doing the filming starts asking questions about cooking at such a high temp and Aaron kinda clams up and changes the subject. That really caught my attention.

I plan on experimenting a little this summer with some higher temps. I kinda have my doubts given my setup (Broil King Keg) compared to a true offset or even a pellet grill, but the idea of cutting the cooking time in half and having the same or very similar results is really appealing to me. Worth a try for sure.

As for recipes, I'm a KISS guy. A bit of olive oil mixed with mustard as a slather to get the rub to stick, then a simple mixture of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, and occasionally some smoked paprika and onion powder. I tried all the complex and store bought rubs, and in the end, I find most of them overwhelming. I want to taste the meat and the smoke.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:38 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
As for recipes, I'm a KISS guy. A bit of olive oil mixed with mustard as a slather to get the rub to stick, then a simple mixture of salt, black pepper, and garlic powder, and occasionally some smoked paprika and onion powder. I tried all the complex and store bought rubs, and in the end, I find most of them overwhelming. I want to taste the meat and the smoke.
Absolutely the best advice... The KISS mindset rules supreme. I am a SPOG guy through and through (kosher salt, pepper, onion and garlic) and once in a blue moon add a bit of the smoked paprika just the same. I still can't wrap my head around hot and fast but I do accept it is a proven method around quite a few winning cooks, but I personally am a low and slow smoker.

The last bit of advice I can give is absolutely do not use time as a gauge for doneness. Go strictly by internal meat temps until you get near the end, and then move to the toothpick test. Once I reach an internal temp of 195 degrees, insert a toothpick into the meat. It should go in with the same feeling as if you were inserting it into a standard room temperature block of butter. If it is still too firm it goes back on for another 3 to 5 degrees of temperature climb and then test again. I have some briskets totally done and ready at 195 and some that were almost 210. Things like fat content, meat density etc all affect how long it take for the piece of meat to cook to perfection. I have had briskets that I thought would take 10 hours finish in 7 and pieces that have take 16 hours... It is an art more than a science IMHO.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-22-2018, 11:54 AM

Brisket done on a pellet smoker melt in your mouth good

8 lb KISS rubbed brisket, 4 hours 250 degs. then put in a shallow pan with beef broth and covered with tin foil for about 4 more hours internal temp. 203 finished in a small cooler warmed up with hot water and covered with a towel for 2 hours.

Mrs. Wolowitz approved
Old 06-22-2018, 02:25 PM

Brisket went in at 5:15 am. MMMM smells good. Cant wait to try it.

A.H.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:43 AM

Hot Bricked Biltong Flavoured Brisket with a grain aligned injection of Vinegar and Coriander seed brine.
Wrapped in a Spanked Scallion Sash
Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Hot Bricked Biltong Flavoured Brisket with a grain aligned injection of Vinegar and Coriander seed brine.
Wrapped in a Spanked Scallion Sash

What's that in English?
Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
What's that in English?
Delicious
Old 06-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
delicious:sha_shakeshout:
lol!
Old 06-23-2018, 04:10 PM

Turned out amazing for a first try. It was super tender an juicy. Thank you all for the information and help. Definitely not the last one I smoke. Still full from last nights indulgence!

A.H.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Turned out amazing for a first try. It was super tender an juicy. Thank you all for the information and help. Definitely not the last one I smoke. Still full from last nights indulgence!

A.H.
Glad it worked out well for you. Brisket never gets old, and you never are confused by the terminology, or the taste. Carry on!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:16 PM

their bbq sauce is really good too.Made in town where I live,Okotoks
Old 05-03-2019, 11:17 PM

Just threw one on, going with the low and slow at 200 all night. Can’t wait for tomorrow evening already!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2019, 06:07 AM

Quote:

A.H.
Glad it worked for you! Brisket is delicious. I use a mustard slather and salt and pepper that's it. When it reaches the stall I wrap it in non-waxed butcher paper and finish. Usually use the Big Green Egg.

I like to pick a brisket with a decent amount of fat cap. Seems to come out juicier.