Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 01:06 PM

So... are you going to put in some nasty starter interlocks and a few other anti-theft devices now?

Dollars to doughnuts, if a crook can't start the vehicle then he/she won't steal it. Otherwise they'd have to steal 2 vehicles, a tow vehicle and yours, with commensurate increased difficulty and risk. Or spend hours going over the whole vehicle and maybe have to rebuild part of the ignition and control systems, which ain't trivial these days.

Older diesel pickups are getting stolen left and right because they're easy targets. Make it more effort than it's worth, and they'll go elsewhere. Maybe even back to school for a real job, if everyone makes all their trucks a btch to steal.

It's sort of like concealed carry (CCW). If a potential mugger can't tell whether he'll get his head blown off trying to steal your wallet, he probably won't try it on anyone.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:25 PM

There getting pretty crafty. Met a guy in revelstoke last year. Had his truck stolen from the motel parking lot, he pulled the fuel pump fuse to disable it. Watched the surveillance video, they were in and gone in 35 seconds. They just plugged something in to the obd to power up the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 09:50 PM

So apparently they look for anything that resembles a gps antenna or tracking device. Ripped out my hands free mike, command start antenna and led light bar switch. Didn't lose enough to justify paying $1000 deductible on home insurance. They did empty my 10L methanol injection tank which comes on over 12psi boost and coolant reservoir is empty. It WAS driven like they stole it. At body shop for ignition then out for mechanical inspection. Crazy pita , not covered for rental.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 PM

And yes , will lock with remote not door lock switch. Disables starter. And maybe Le CLUB.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:16 AM

That’s the worst part of having a diesel stolen, with how hard thieves are on driving stolen vehicles, you have no idea how much they shortened the lifespan of the entire drivetrain. Even if the mechanical inspection comes out fine, who is to say 3,000 km down the road the headgasket goes? At least on a gas truck the repairs of anything are around half the cost of the diesel.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 AM

Always done all my own repairs , couldn’t own it otherwise. Wish I had previous mileage but at least the abuse was on fresh oil change !
Old 06-29-2018, 06:57 AM

Finally had a mechanical inspection. Apparently it smokes really bad now , never did before so my 6.0 is hurt. They sent it back to body shop compound and are waiting for SGI adjuster to get back from holidays on Tuesday, making it officially 2 weeks without my truck. I’m looking for a deal on an 08-11 f350 diesel pending insurance decision .....
Old 06-29-2018, 12:51 PM

Sucks, Teamprotz! Sorry about that.

And yeah, "That's what insurance is for" is a lot of crap. A hard-working Joe is still out hundreds or thousands of dollars and a lot of time. We're not all millionaires here. ... And I'm not advocating shooting either. I think the police and courts should do their job and properly catch and hold/punish those who do this. It needs to be legally and effectively be not worth their time.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:59 PM

I have a spare diesel 3/4t here if you need 1. Just cost you diesel. Its not pretty but it's a very reliable 7.3.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-29-2018, 01:03 PM

Default First Class offer

Ken; that's very first class of u!!
Old 06-29-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Ken; that's very first class of u!!
Just like always.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have a spare diesel 3/4t here if you need 1. Just cost you diesel. Its not pretty but it's a very reliable 7.3.
Wanna sell it?? I need a diesel, my 350 Chev and it’s sub 8 mpg pulling 6000 lbs is killin’ me.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Finally had a mechanical inspection. Apparently it smokes really bad now , never did before so my 6.0 is hurt. They sent it back to body shop compound and are waiting for SGI adjuster to get back from holidays on Tuesday, making it officially 2 weeks without my truck. I’m looking for a deal on an 08-11 f350 diesel pending insurance decision .....
Brown 2011 105 kms diesel
Babied from new is it worth 35 k
Cement Bench
Old 06-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Banned

Can you send series of Pictures?
Old 06-29-2018, 02:40 PM

If they will install a factory new motor and tranny you might be farther ahead keeping what you have than buying another used one you don't know. A lot depends on what kind of shape the rest of the truck is in. All the best. hope it works out well for you.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:15 PM

I highly highly recommend to stay away from a 6.4 lol
Old 06-29-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
I think the police and courts should do their job and properly catch and hold/punish those who do this. It needs to be legally and effectively be not worth their time.
I believe the Police do their job, to the best of their ability. Staffing continues to be an issue in all detachments, many times affecting the ability to respond in a timely manner.

The legal system we have is responsible for holding those who commit these crimes. Unfortunately the legal system is like a "catch and release" system, whereby the accused, in the majority of cases, is released pending their court appearance.

I read yesterday that Airdrie RCMP apprehended 3 suspects with a trailer load of stolen property. All three now face 94 charges ranging from possession of stolen property to firearms offences. No doubt they will appear in court and probably be released pending their next court appearance.

The Red Deer RCMP just did a project to target repeat offenders with outstanding warrants linked to property or drug crimes. Many of these repeat offenders had warrants for fail to comply with conditions (could be probation or release conditions), amongst the plethora of new charges they are facing.

The Police can do everything possible to arrest and hold these people, but ultimately the court is the one who lets them back out on the street to re-offend again, and again, and again......So until the legal system takes property crime seriously, the cycle will continue

Mr Conservation
Old 06-29-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Wanna sell it?? I need a diesel, my 350 Chev and it’s sub 8 mpg pulling 6000 lbs is killin’ me.
I sure could I bought it for my sons first truck. He used it for a few years then wanted a half ton. He has regretted it every day since. I did a ton of work to it to make it safe for him, new transmission, brakes, 4x4 solenoid, power steering pump, turbo back exhaust and tuner, now a brand new windshield, DVD, batteries.......

If our friend doesn't need it I will sell it but its offered to him first to get him out of a pinch. It needs a steering stabilizer, with 490km it wanders a little and I am not putting another nickle in it. I just drove it on a 9 hour trip north of Edmonton and it never missed a beat. The only reason I am driving it now is I have a bunch of diesel that needs to be used.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-29-2018, 08:19 PM

RCMP took down a car thief today in broad daylight. Good to hear about. Not making a big enough dent , super duty’s go missing almost every night ! I planned to drive this one till I could afford something newer then turn it into a project with my son. Not sure how this story ends yet .... and thanks to everyone for the offers !
Old 06-29-2018, 08:24 PM

I'd be dropping my insurance company
Old 06-29-2018, 09:20 PM

I sure like my new Ford Pass! On my cell Phone! On my F150 2017 I know where my truck is 24-7, anywhere any time!
Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
I sure like my new Ford Pass! On my cell Phone! On my F150 2017 I know where my truck is 24-7, anywhere any time!
Till the guys that know what they are doing come along and break the receiver off anyway.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Till the guys that know what they are doing come along and break the receiver off anyway.
That would be the smart thing! But these meth heads are not that smart!
Old 06-29-2018, 10:07 PM

And unfortunately YouTube is a wonderful teacher
Old 07-04-2018, 10:50 AM

Update- well not really , I’m still waiting on SGI. Now that my adjuster is back from HER holiday they decide they want a second opinion on the condition of my engine , from an actual diesel shop. The one they recommend can’t look at it for a week , so I picked one ! Hopefully this will be over soon. Pretty sure I wasn’t the criminal when this all started ??!!