Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 11:49 PM

Default What to look for ( new gas 1ton truck)

In the fall I most likely will be trading my 2014 f-150 eco boost before it blows up for something a bit heavier , like a 3/4 or a 1 ton. I’m not looking for a Diesel I . I’m almost always pulling something. I liked the low rpm toque of the eco boost . But I need more payload . What’s the Chev and dodge like ? What are there L/100km? Pulling vs. Empty . No mater what I go with it will be a 8’ box and 4 door
Old 06-07-2018, 11:56 PM

Oh to start things off , my eco boost is doing 14L/100 empty and 25-28 L/100 with a 16’ inclosed trailer est 5000lbs.

My 2011 f-250 superduty 6.2 if I remember correctly was 16L/100km empty and 25-28L/100 km with same trailer .

All driving at 110km/hr
Old 06-08-2018, 05:27 AM

2018 HD3500 GMC 6.L gas engine Crew cab 8 ft box
City 17.5 L /100 km mostly just drive the yellow head trail in Edmonton
HYW. with a truck camper 20 L /100km
Old 06-08-2018, 06:59 AM

Ram 2500 with the 6.4l. Lots of highway cruise control driving and get 15-17 L/100km. Best I ever got was 12 in hot summer weather, with the 6th (top) gear turned off doing 125-130 in the Coquihalla. Never been able to replicate that. Go figure...

I usually drop to 19-20 L/100km when towing

The 6.4 is much better than the 5.7 in the Ram 2500s. Had the 5.7 in my last 2500 and glad to have the upgrade now. 6.4 has Nice towing power and better on gas. Oil changes are more expensive though with the 6.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis_rak View Post
Ram 2500 with the 6.4l. Lots of highway cruise control driving and get 15-17 L/100km. Best I ever got was 12 in hot summer weather, with the 6th (top) gear turned off doing 125-130 in the Coquihalla. Never been able to replicate that. Go figure...

I usually drop to 19-20 L/100km when towing

The 6.4 is much better than the 5.7 in the Ram 2500s. Had the 5.7 in my last 2500 and glad to have the upgrade now. 6.4 has Nice towing power and better on gas. Oil changes are more expensive though with the 6.4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What what are you towing?Is your 6.4 The one that four cylinders cuts off when you’re driving highway?
Old 06-08-2018, 08:29 AM

My 6.4 has MDS which hasn’t done me any good. The truck burns less fuel when that top gear is manually shut off or I drive in tow/haul mode.

I mainly tow my boat which is about 3000lbs including the Wright of the trailer,fuel, gear etc. Nothing too crazy
Old 06-08-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
Oh to start things off , my eco boost is doing 14L/100 empty and 25-28 L/100 with a 16’ inclosed trailer est 5000lbs.

My 2011 f-250 superduty 6.2 if I remember correctly was 16L/100km empty and 25-28L/100 km with same trailer .

All driving at 110km/hr

Have two Eco-boosts and both see around 11.8-12.2 L/100 empty and around the same as you towing a boat around 8000lbs. Both are 17's and less than 20,000 kms.

If you are going to a 3/4 or 1 ton I would probably lean towards a GM or Chevy, I think the resale value is the best on these over the Ford or Dodge.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07icanam View Post
Have two Eco-boosts and both see around 11.8-12.2 L/100 empty and around the same as you towing a boat around 8000lbs. Both are 17's and less than 20,000 kms.

If you are going to a 3/4 or 1 ton I would probably lean towards a GM or Chevy, I think the resale value is the best on these over the Ford or Dodge.

Are you resetting you fuel mileage button for when your towing to give you an accurate Reading of your fuel mileage when you were exclusively towing. I don’t mean to tell you you’re wrong but you can’t even haul a quad in the box and hold the same fuel mileage as empty it’s in possible.And wait a while let’s see what it looks like after you put on another 60,000 km your fuel mileage will go up If you’re towing all the time
Old 06-08-2018, 02:05 PM

just out of curiosity, if you are almost always pulling something would your use for the truck not merit a diesel? I drive a 2011 CTD and would only part with it if I didn't need it for hauling as much as I do but I would never consider a gasser for the weekly 1000km round trip to the lower wasteland and back. That being said, other than having the 6.0L in 2 previous gm trucks, my experience with hauling with a newer gas truck is nil.
Pulling a 5th wheel with said 6.0L gm, from Armstrong to golden a few years back I averaged over 40L/100km.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGrohms View Post
just out of curiosity, if you are almost always pulling something would your use for the truck not merit a diesel? I drive a 2011 CTD and would only part with it if I didn't need it for hauling as much as I do but I would never consider a gasser for the weekly 1000km round trip to the lower wasteland and back. That being said, other than having the 6.0L in 2 previous gm trucks, my experience with hauling with a newer gas truck is nil.

Pulling a 5th wheel with said 6.0L gm, from Armstrong to golden a few years back I averaged over 40L/100km.

Most of my trips are under 20 km so I was told the diesel wouldn’t get hot enough in the short little trips. So another words by the time the diesel gets up to temperature I’m already at work. In the winter I would have to let my truck warm-up longer than the actual drive would be doesn’t make much sense. And I was told for diesel that’s not a good thing. What are your thoughts?
Old 06-08-2018, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most of my trips are under 20 km so I was told the diesel wouldn’t get hot enough in the short little trips. So another words by the time the diesel gets up to temperature I’m already at work. In the winter I would have to let my truck warm-up longer than the actual drive would be doesn’t make much sense. And I was told for diesel that’s not a good thing. What are your thoughts?
Cold running isn't good for them but for what it's worth, when I get up I hit the coffee button then head out to start my dodge Cummins. If I turn on the exhaust brake by the time the coffee is brewed it is up to pretty close to operating temp.

I had a 2013 chev 3500 6L. It was a good truck except lots of noise comes out the tail pipe and not much action where the rubber meets the road and it burnt a lot of fuel for the little power it built. For a run around no towing truck I wouldn't hesitate buying another but I do much prefer my Cummins Fargo.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:53 PM

Just my opinion, but if you're thinking either 3/4 or 1 ton, just narrow the search and buy a 1 ton. Usually only some minor suspension and drivetrain differences, but nothing that is going to have a substantial impact on fuel consumption. If I remember right with GM the difference between a 2500 and 3500 is an extra leaf spring and a larger differential. So essentially the same truck, just one has a higher payload capacity.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:11 PM

yes, definitely do not buy a diesel for short drives. My truck in winter will take up to 15 min just to get up to temp at high idle.

Not to derail to much but Norwest Alta mentioned running his exhaust brake to warm up the truck faster. I have done that too but always wonder if its hard on anything doing so as the brake can run up to a good 10 min straight.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:03 PM

I'd definitely steer away from a diesel in your situation. Frankly, all the new gas trucks seem fine. GM 6.0L is a tried and true workhorse but not great on fuel (note the other poster mentioning 15+L/100). Ford 6.2L is about the same. Dodge 6.4L I heard the earlier model ones had varying issues but seems like they have 'em straightened out.

New diesel with DPF + short trips = no bueno. Especially with the cold. Need to get those truck's EGTs hot enough to burn the soot out of the DPF or it'll clog up quick and create all sorts of problems.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:20 PM

Thanks guys for the input so far . Keep it coming .
Old 06-09-2018, 02:38 AM

Mt suggestion, if you don't pull going back and forth to work, get a small economical car you can keep in the garage and get a Diesel 1-ton for a pulling truck. No large truck, even a gasser, is going to get great mileage on short hauls to work, especially if started from a dead cold outside temp because its 4 door 8' box is usually too big for the garage. Using the truck only for pulling, hunting etc it will last forever and cars are a lot cheaper to swap out regularly than pickups are.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:39 AM

I think there’s a little confusion on what I’m doing with my truck.i go to work every day with a tool trailer it’s about 15 km to town . I have to haul water from home to town which is 15 km. Turn on the weekends I’m either not using my truck but sometimes I’m hooked to the stock trailer I’m going to auction or hooked up to the flat deck where it’s full of side-by-side and camping equipment. We have a few spots we go but none are really over one hour. 80% of the mileage on my truck is towing and most of that is running around during the week hooked onto my tool trailer. Overall about 20000-25000km a year
Old 06-09-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Just my opinion, but if you're thinking either 3/4 or 1 ton, just narrow the search and buy a 1 ton. Usually only some minor suspension and drivetrain differences, but nothing that is going to have a substantial impact on fuel consumption. If I remember right with GM the difference between a 2500 and 3500 is an extra leaf spring and a larger differential. So essentially the same truck, just one has a higher payload capacity.
More payload but noticeably rougher ride...at least to me as I own a 1 ton and have a 3/4 ton work truck.
Old 06-09-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
More payload but noticeably rougher ride...at least to me as I own a 1 ton and have a 3/4 ton work truck.

What are the two trucks you Speak of?
Old 06-09-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Are you resetting you fuel mileage button for when your towing to give you an accurate Reading of your fuel mileage when you were exclusively towing. I don’t mean to tell you you’re wrong but you can’t even haul a quad in the box and hold the same fuel mileage as empty it’s in possible.And wait a while let’s see what it looks like after you put on another 60,000 km your fuel mileage will go up If you’re towing all the time
I am getting the same as you while you are towing, around that 25-28L/100KM.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
What are the two trucks you Speak of?
Dodge 3500 vs dodge 2500
Old 06-09-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
I think there’s a little confusion on what I’m doing with my truck.i go to work every day with a tool trailer it’s about 15 km to town . I have to haul water from home to town which is 15 km. Turn on the weekends I’m either not using my truck but sometimes I’m hooked to the stock trailer I’m going to auction or hooked up to the flat deck where it’s full of side-by-side and camping equipment. We have a few spots we go but none are really over one hour. 80% of the mileage on my truck is towing and most of that is running around during the week hooked onto my tool trailer. Overall about 20000-25000km a year
One ton diesel. Period. 3/4 tons are a waste of payload on the new trucks because the frame and driveline are identical. Only one to use a specific to class suspension is ram with the coil spring rear. Don’t let the nay sayers scare you off. My one ton diesels are full emissions (not deleted) and do grocery duty, kids to school, towing the fifth wheel and everything in between. Lots of short trips, in town and northern Alberta winters and no Regen issues to date. If they give issues then I’ll deal with it but until then using them daily seems to be the best thing for them. Most problematic trucks I’ve had was when I only used it for truck duty and had a car or other to use daily, the parked time really seems to just not work out in your favour, plus running two vehicles is almost always more exspensive than running one all the time that can do everything.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:43 PM

If you have a trailer hooked up 80% of the time, get the diesel.

Towing a trailer 15km one way is enough to warm up completely. You won't get it hot by any means but towing will quicken warmup. Plus the added benefit of towing with a diesel daily.

Also don't be afraid of new emissions equipment on new trucks - most trouble was had with the first generation of diesel emissions equipment, think 2007-09 ram 3500, duramax lmm, and ford 6.4L diesel.

I'd be hard pressed to hear about any emmisions equipment issues on any of the manufacture's '16 or newer diesel trucks. If you do, enlighten me.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Then I would for sure buy a one ton diesel and just make sure to plug it in on a timer 4 hours before start up, at home and at work in the winter. I would do that for any gas job too, it is so much easier on the vehicle than being started at -40. The diesels I have had were well warm long before 20 minutes, especially with a trailer on, and if you are pulling daily the diesel makes real good sense.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Dean is right, guys plug your trucks both diesel and gas in the winter. "80% of engine wear is from cold winter starts when truck not plugged"
Old 06-10-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Then I would for sure buy a one ton diesel and just make sure to plug it in on a timer 4 hours before start up, at home and at work in the winter. I would do that for any gas job too, it is so much easier on the vehicle than being started at -40. The diesels I have had were well warm long before 20 minutes, especially with a trailer on, and if you are pulling daily the diesel makes real good sense.
Absolutely this, they don’t devalue like a gas model does either.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:37 PM

2007/8 Chevy 24 1/2 ft motorhome 6 ltr Always towing a well built flatdeck trailer with 2 full size quads plus extra gas. Also always driven in the mountains. we average 24.7 l/100k. So sounds about normal...
Old 06-10-2018, 07:55 PM

I drive a 15 Chevy 2500 double cab regular box with 6.0l. Mileage on long trips is around 17l/100 with a quad or sled up on the deck. I am also running one size larger duratracs.

We just got new 2500 at work, same truck except crew cab and it averages 15.5 l/100. This is empty and haven't towed with it yet. They don't have the snap like the ecoboost, but they have acceptable power.

With my personal truck it gets about 19 l/100 towing our 7x16 enclosed trailer. I did a ton of research and the 6.0 is one of the most reliable industrial motors ever made. I was a Ford guy before this, but have had good luck with the chevy at work, so wanted to try one out for myself.

Once my warranty is off I am going to get a tune installed and see if it helps out. .. i have heard it make a huge difference.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Farmer View Post
Absolutely this, they don’t devalue like a gas model does either.
How many people buy a truck for it’s resale value? I don’t because when I buy a truck I hold onto it until it’s worth nothing as it’s just a pile of bolts. I don’t change trucks like a woman changes her shoes...
Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 PM

I took a new 6.2 L f-350 ford for a test ride yesterday. I really like the truck, But I’m disappointed with the engine seems like the truck won’t pick up and go under 4000 RPM maybe it’s just me I’m just used to driving eco-boost where you get that push of torque at 1800 RPM.Call Dodge today and they’re going to set up a test ride with a 6.4 L hemi and the diesel curious on how that’s going to go.