Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 06:56 AM

Zip thanks for all the great posts. It’s great to have a thread that’s positive for once. Good luck to you out there this season and be safe.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:12 AM

Good update.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:51 AM

Yo Yo Yo

Old 12-12-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Mr Snap .... tks we thought it was going to be a hot morning/day with all the activity within the first 1/2 hour or so, then it progressively slowed down. We all had our opportunities but just couldn't get a good hook up, very frustrating. The one's I cleaned were all Males, we seen some bigger fish, perhaps females, but they sure were shy.
Whites, gotta love/hate em!

I'll be out at Gull on Saturday but targeting burbs. Not sure if I'll go after any whites or not...probably not.

Btw, I like that black and silver tie. New or tried? That has to work on those Sylvan whites.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Had a better fishing day with my wife this morning at sylvan. She out fished me and was glad to see it. 6 - 4. Think that Jack was hanging around from yesterday as it made her scream when he went by under the ice lol. We took enough for supper and they were delicious and boneless!! Calgary hook from zz produced 4 out of 10.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 PM

Awesome!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post
Had a better fishing day with my wife this morning at sylvan. She out fished me and was glad to see it. 6 - 4. Think that Jack was hanging around from yesterday as it made her scream when he went by under the ice lol. We took enough for supper and they were delicious and boneless!! Calgary hook from zz produced 4 out of 10.

AHHH I see my problem I don't use Kokanee. Guess I have to switch.LOL LOL
Old 12-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Correct!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
Old 12-12-2018, 09:09 PM

Girlfriend and I are going to follow up with last years date and hopefully do some more creations Friday night and see how they work out Saturday. Looking forward to it last years worked out awesome. (Posted a page or two back)

Thanks for the updates yet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skawtty View Post

Scott .... pleased to see/read you & the Mrs had an enjoyable & productive day. It appears a few of them are a bit bigger than what we seen yesterday. Don't loose the Calgary G-Cup Champs W/W, it's priceless now.

Wish you all the best ...

D.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcbarker View Post
Those Kokanee guys will do anything for an advertisement.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-12-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hunter View Post
Zip is it me ( seeing picture wrong) or you are fishing 🎣 in few feet of water
A.H .... we were fishin in 4-5 fow with a nice sand rock rubble, you can clearly see my 4 w/w's ... 2 per rod .... that's the Calgary G-Cup in the center.

D.

See ....

Old 12-12-2018, 09:33 PM

Dec 12th .... Z-z Update.

Spent the day at RR23 South access road, was fishing in 5 fow on sand weed bottom with 8-9” ice went out to 15-18 fow same thickness. Got set up & first White in 5 minutes then the rest of the day was a disaster, everything from equipment problems to loosing 3 Whites in the hole, actually one of them was in the shack but flipped & went back down the hole. Caught 2 walleye on same Brown W/W, decided to put the camera out about 7-8 ft behind the shack, they kept their distance. They were chasing dark colors today, Brown & Black W/W got their interest, they turned away from all the other colored patterns. Was planning to try Gull tomorrow but not if it’s as windy as forecasted, maybe I need a day off or try Sylvan again.

Did an autopsy on the I cleaned today it had the same tiny clear/white pellets/beads, did a search, I believe they’re “Whitefish Eggs” if that’s what these are, I was surprise, Whites eating their own eggs. The other items were fresh water shrimp & look like caddis larva houses.

A few pic’s …. at least I didn’t drop the Panasonic down the hole, only lost my tent pole.

D.

Whites sure chased this black W/W around today, too bad I couldn’t hook/land them.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-12-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 PM

Might be a good time to put white beads on your WW's. I've use tiny white 1/32 oz. round lead heads with no rubbertail and just 2 or 3 maggots and the whites come into them good.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 12-12-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:16 AM

ZZ Nice post, I never thought to check and see what they were eating. Maybe next time ill Good doctor it.(Love that show). Almost got wife convinced for an underwater camera. Me and young Scottie will be at Sylvan this morning hope to maybe see you there.

Scott R
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM

Nice report Zip! I agree, add white beads. That could be an early season killer combo.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:07 AM

I would try a hook with 4-5 white bids at the bottom
Old 12-13-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Dec 12th .... Z-z Update.

Spent the day at RR23 South access road, was fishing in 5 fow on sand weed bottom with 8-9” ice went out to 15-18 fow same thickness. Got set up & first White in 5 minutes then the rest of the day was a disaster, everything from equipment problems to loosing 3 Whites in the hole, actually one of them was in the shack but flipped & went back down the hole. Caught 2 walleye on same Brown W/W, decided to put the camera out about 7-8 ft behind the shack, they kept their distance. They were chasing dark colors today, Brown & Black W/W got their interest, they turned away from all the other colored patterns. Was planning to try Gull tomorrow but not if it’s as windy as forecasted, maybe I need a day off or try Sylvan again.

Did an autopsy on the I cleaned today it had the same tiny clear/white pellets/beads, did a search, I believe they’re “Whitefish Eggs” if that’s what these are, I was surprise, Whites eating their own eggs. The other items were fresh water shrimp & look like caddis larva houses.

A few pic’s …. at least I didn’t drop the Panasonic down the hole, only lost my tent pole.

D.

Whites sure chased this black W/W around today, too bad I couldn’t hook/land them.

I had similar findings at mcgregor lake yesterday the whitefish I did catch was full off eggs in its belly and fresh water shrimp. Question though is that an empty egg sack in the background?

This is what I tied up for the next outing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D635345B-5AC3-4092-B025-8B1D01CB00D8.jpg (10.6 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:52 AM

Hey Zip, do you always fish 2 w/w on one rod? I’ve never been able to tie it properly and when I have only one lays vertical and the other does what it wants. I find it tends to produce nothing at all.

With that being said do you normally pick two closely matched patterns or completely different?

Old 12-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
Hey Zip, do you always fish 2 w/w on one rod? I’ve never been able to tie it properly and when I have only one lays vertical and the other does what it wants. I find it tends to produce nothing at all.

With that being said do you normally pick two closely matched patterns or completely different?

Just look at Zip's thread about it:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=274328

He just recently recanted about how he likes to tie them so go to the end of the thread.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:29 PM

i tied some brown black WW with a white bead!!!!

lets see!!!!
Old 12-13-2018, 08:21 PM

Lucky Dec. 13th … Redemption Day

Changed the tread title, to reflect Sylvan info, plan to give Gull a try next week and start a new thread.

My fishin buddy BwackW had to work, met up with Scott & Scott at Norglenwold, it was a slow start to the morning my first fish was a small Walleye, we move around & started to see a bunch of active Whites ended up having a great afternoon and came home with my 5/limit before 3:30, both Scott/Scott also went home with their limits, good company & great day fishin.

Hope Scott posts his video of a Muskrat that pestered us, the little bugger scared the crap out of me when he came up my hole and grabbed my boot to try to get into my shed, it got a rod tip across the noggin!

Today you needed to be flexible what worked yesterday (Dark’s Brown/Black) didn’t work today, I changed up a couple of times this afternoon & found what they wanted. To be more specific caught 4 Whites in 20 minutes around at 12:30 on Candy Cane Yellow/Orange, it was Zip’n time!

Fishing Tip ….. most everyone has 1 perhaps 2 W/W’s on 1 rod, I fish 2 - 10” holes cut side-x-side, when you get bored rather than raising the rod tip & letting your W/W’s slowly drift down try swimming them with a slight jigging motion from one end to the other end, in my example that’s 20” of horizontal swimming action, it was effective and triggered a few more fish/hook-ups for me today. I you’re in deeper water vary you depth I start higher & work down to the bottom … give it a try.

Taking tomorrow off, hope to get out with Scott/Bwack on the weekend, a few pic’s.

Cheers

David

First of the Day – Black W/W & ½ M-Worm

Nice Bottom Structure for Whites & Walleyes.

Try Swimming & Jigging W/W Horizontal through the Hole

Only got 1 on Brown & P-Mag in the Morning

Got 3 on Red with Glow Bead

Winner this afternoon - 6 Whites on Candy Cane Yellow/Orange & Green Glow Bead (No Bait).

Landed 10 Whites today my “Three Sister’s” made my Day!

Keep those hooks sharp ....

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 12-13-2018 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:52 PM

Congrats Nice pict
Attached Images
File Type: gif ice_fishing.gif (31.9 KB, 564 views)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Nice work gents! Great report. Gotta love those good fishing afternoons.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice work gents! Great report. Gotta love those good fishing afternoons.
Tks Snap ... Sylvan can be cold in one area on any given day and hot in another, I mentioned this before you need to apply some "Finesse" on these Whites, as you have already experienced. It all comes down to location, we found a spot on a spot then presentation, we all had W/W's, my hook size was smaller # 8 & #10, color matters & then bait or no bait & most important insuring your W/W's are perfectly horizontal & last how you work the rod tip up/drift down twitch or swim/jig through the hole ... it all matters for a successful day.

We all lost a few in the hole as well Scott had a nice White on the ice that flipped back down his another hole ... smart fish!

It's +4C & melting here today, would strongly recommend those who come out on the weekend bring or invest in some ice-cleats, don't need an accident before X-Mass.

I'm taking the day off, preparing for dinner party tonight, all those fish will be cooked tonight.

Cheers

D.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post

The info you seek is in the W/W Thread that's now a "Sticky" at the top of the Fishin Home Page ... trust this will improve your success.

D.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:24 PM

Friday Dec 14th ... a few people out today.

First permanent Shack off the Norglenwold Lake access road.

Mr Happy .... is that you ????

Old 12-14-2018, 02:16 PM

nope....not me....i need to drive shack on the ice....lol...waiting for thicker ice.....but did tie 2 yellow orange candy cane with glow bead...bought 8# floro so ready to fish sunday and or monday!!!
Old 12-15-2018, 09:07 AM

The kids got the shack on the ice this morning,,, Yo Yo Yo.

Old Timer and I can't wait to get wait to get back from the Ontario Moose harvest. Ha.

Not sure if West jet will will let us book two extras seats for our seeing eye Moose,,, mines a therapeutic needs Moose... I need help you know. LOL
Old 12-15-2018, 07:30 PM

Went out with Scott (Bwabbit) today, up early and & set up in the dark, waited for the crack of light then the action started, we lost & caught a bunch of Whites, now Scott can fire up his smoker.

We didn't see any Walleye's until mid morning, a few skinny Pike were bugging us until late afternoon until one Big Mama Pike cruised into our area and after that we didn't see many Whites, she was Big!

The Norglenwold Village is growing, lots of people out today and after the big wind lots went home early. There was a few more permanent shacks being fabricated out here today, too.

Scott will post some info/pic's of something unexpected but funny, which we both felt sad about at the end.

Had a great time today but it's time to give Sylvan Whites a rest, off to Gull tomorrow/next week.

D.

These W/W's worked for me today.

My go to W/W produced, was surprised how many Whites chased the Bright Yellow one today.