Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-05-2020, 06:48 AM

Default Did you ever think you would see the day

Trying to wrap my head around the economic changes this would cause if it ever takes off.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/mar...at-has-arrived

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2020, 06:57 AM

chicken nuggets that began their existence as cells taken from biopsies of live animals, and were then grown in a medium of fetal bovine serum

Sounds delicious just like Mom used to clone
A&W's grass fed beef campaign is more appealing.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:15 AM

It’s not the first lab meat and non have taken off

I have no interest eating it
Old 12-05-2020, 07:32 AM
Gone Hunting

It seems to me that every time man tries to replace the natural there are hidden costs.

I remember dad pulling weeds in the fields, then along came chemicals to do the work for farmers. We know where that is leading.

And just an observation but it seems to me there are far more weeds now, and of a different type or types then there used to be.

But that's only one example. It's too early to think of the others but I remember discussing this sort of thing over the years and as I recall there were dozens of examples where man made turned out to be not as good and had hidden costs.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2020, 07:32 AM

Lab meat. COVID free. Deep fried bat wings.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:13 AM

It was a given that food was going to start coming out of vats in labs, and not out of barns. Once it becomes more efficient and profitable then raising livestock, you will see a switch to 'ethical and healthy' meat. And real meat will get very very expensive. I give it one generation. After that, Soylent Green is next.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
It was a given that food was going to start coming out of vats in labs, and not out of barns. Once it becomes more efficient and profitable then raising livestock, you will see a switch to 'ethical and healthy' meat. And real meat will get very very expensive. I give it one generation. After that, Soylent Green is next.
Too many people on the planet and that's what it came down to, they bumped you off at thirty. People lined up for the experience.

Grizz
Old 12-05-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
My family will never eat lab meat period. As long as there's meat still left on this earth That's what we will eat. Don't care what lengths I have to go to ensure it. We think we are progressing....geese
Old 12-05-2020, 09:51 AM

Soyent green
Old 12-05-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
My family will never eat lab meat period. As long as there's meat still left on this earth That's what we will eat. Don't care what lengths I have to go to ensure it. We think we are progressing....geese
I'm the same. But fake meat is just the new margarine (fake butter), look how well that's done. People will get used to the idea, one generation.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-05-2020, 10:31 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I'm the same. But fake meat is just the new margarine (fake butter), look how well that's done. People will get used to the idea, one generation.
Doing well and being good for us is two different things.

What is this bleating of trans fats I hear?

Quote:
However, artificial trans fats — otherwise known as industrial trans fats or partially hydrogenated fats — are hazardous to your health.

These fats occur when vegetable oils are chemically altered to stay solid at room temperature, which gives them a much longer shelf life.
I expect you are right, some people will get used to the idea, others will embrace it.

But I won't.

We have been making a lot more of our food from scratch, from locally sourced ingredients. S much as we have been able to actually.

I no longer trust industry, especially big business to provide safe food products.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2020, 10:55 AM

I'm not an advocate of monster meat, and I suspect it won't be any healthier then margarine (maybe it will be). I'm just predicting the inevitable acceptance of it (like plant based burger. And those are awful). And a generation from now kids will be eating their lab grown bologna sandwich (which probably couldn't be any worse then 'natural' bologna! ) just like we did, on white bread with mustard and Kraft slices. You remember Kraft slices, right? That stuff that looks and tastes like cheese, but probably isn't. They have to label it as a 'cheese product' as per FDA rules because it isn't quite 51% cheese....and I bet all of you have enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich made with them.

People eat all kinds of things around the world I wouldn't touch.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I'm not an advocate of monster meat, and I suspect it won't be any healthier then margarine (maybe it will be). I'm just predicting the inevitable acceptance of it (like plant based burger. And those are awful). And a generation from now kids will be eating their lab grown bologna sandwich (which probably couldn't be any worse then 'natural' bologna! ) just like we did, on white bread with mustard and Kraft slices. You remember Kraft slices, right? That stuff that looks and tastes like cheese, but probably isn't. They have to label it as a 'cheese product' as per FDA rules because it isn't quite 51% cheese....and I bet all of you have enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich made with them.

People eat all kinds of things around the world I wouldn't touch.
LOL
Lab grown bologna Adds a whole nother level of gross to the good old tube steak.

And yeah, I used to love store bought bread and cheese slices, but I haven't had either in this house since we bought it ten years ago.

And I did eat some Octopus stew years ago. I remember it looked like a bowl full of eyeballs. Don't think I could keep my lunch down if it was put in front of me now.

I'm the kind of guy who wants to understand everything in my life, so I ask a lot of questions, like why do folks who grew their own food live so much longer then folks who live on commercially prepared, ready to eat foods.

I came to the conclusion after much research, that there were many reasons including the chemical preservative and enhancement additives.

Which led me to moving to an all natural diet as much as is possible in this modern world.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-05-2020, 12:46 PM

Labs are terrific dogs but I have no interest in eating their meat.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:05 PM

Lab grown meat... it’ll take off for sure. Most people don’t realize that meat is animals and I especially think that in the poorer/Asian countries they don’t give a damn as long as it’s food...or “foodish.”

I feel just as much abhorrence by hydroponically grown plant based food as lab grown meat.
It all comes out of a chemical soup that’s developed to maintain growth at the highest rate. An absence of micronutrients also concerns me with this stuff.
You can’t tell me a that a hydroponics greenhouse Tomato or pepper is the nutritional equivalent of something grown in dirt. And neither is lab grown meat.

This will eventually affect ranching and that will effect our grassland ecosystems.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:13 PM

Lab grown bat ........ think about it.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:32 PM

Exclamation the dystopian future

Over the last 100 years, humans have been consuming wild protein sources faster than prey species can replenish. With the growing population, we are quickly reaching the point where there will be a serious shortage of traditional non-plant based protein. If this continues, Soylent Green and lab grown meat will become the "New Normal".
What many in the first world fail to understand is that food is anything you are hungry enough to eat.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2020, 03:36 PM

I wonder how many biopsies are needed to produce the meat. Chances are its gunna look absolutely disgusting on a commercial level. Seems like a good recipe for inhumane animal treatment.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Lab grown meat... it’ll take off for sure. Most people don’t realize that meat is animals and I especially think that in the poorer/Asian countries they don’t give a damn as long as it’s food...or “foodish.”

I feel just as much abhorrence by hydroponically grown plant based food as lab grown meat.
It all comes out of a chemical soup that’s developed to maintain growth at the highest rate. An absence of micronutrients also concerns me with this stuff.
You can’t tell me a that a hydroponics greenhouse Tomato or pepper is the nutritional equivalent of something grown in dirt. And neither is lab grown meat.

This will eventually affect ranching and that will effect our grassland ecosystems.
I don't know about nutrition, but taste wise greenhouse vegetables are a poor second to home grown.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
It seems to me that every time man tries to replace the natural there are hidden costs.

I remember dad pulling weeds in the fields, then along came chemicals to do the work for farmers. We know where that is leading.

And just an observation but it seems to me there are far more weeds now, and of a different type or types then there used to be.

But that's only one example. It's too early to think of the others but I remember discussing this sort of thing over the years and as I recall there were dozens of examples where man made turned out to be not as good and had hidden costs.
I imagine hunter/gatherers looking at the first folk to have domesticated livestock, going "I ain't eating that! It's not natural! Who knows what's in it!"

Old 12-05-2020, 07:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uewOhK-MSjc
Old 12-05-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
Lab meat. COVID free. Deep fried bat wings.
Just imagine how good the soup will be!
Old 12-05-2020, 09:40 PM

A lot of the in vitro meat production uses Irradiated Fetal Bovine Serum. The name itself causes me to salivate, mmm irradiated fetal bovine serum. Yummers!
Old 12-05-2020, 10:14 PM

I still throw up in my mouth at the thought of farmed Salmon, DISGUSTING!

This sounds like a China thing, if they can genetically modify a Soldier and baby's, then why not chicken?

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wor...eered-23117417

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-a-c...es-11557506697
Old 12-05-2020, 10:21 PM

Makes cwd look “natural”....
Old 12-06-2020, 11:00 AM

Default Lab made meat

We are already partly there. Lots of GMO foods including most of the animals
we use for meat.