Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-01-2020, 11:10 AM

Default Long shot on saddle hills trap line

Hey guys years ago I was snowshoeing up in the saddle hills and came across a trappers cabin. I'm hoping to head out that way with my son for a bit if exercise and would like to snow shoe out there again. My memory is a bit foggy so I'm not exactly where the cabin was located. Iirc years back I used the snake mountain road( off rr60 saddle hills rd) to access it. If I'm remembering correctly the cabin was just off a tiny lake / pond and not to far off the logging road. Looking at Google maps though I can't seem to locate even the body of water...I do remember the cabin was part of a registered line but I can't for the life of me remember who held the title. Would this line happen to be registered to one of the many AO trappers? If so would you mind refreshing my memory to general locations.. Not looking for anything other than perhaps a cool snow shoe trip with my boy. Btw I have lived in Webster for the last 20 years and know the area pretty good just haven't been to that spot in probably the 12 years... Thanks in advance
Old 12-02-2020, 09:48 AM

Tork owned trapline and cabin in Saddle hills but sold it a few years back, then bought new line on the Kakwa. He will probably know the owner, but most trappers do no like to many tourists around their cabins.
Sled crowd used a fair amount of my split and dried wood to heat their butts last winter.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Tork owned trapline and cabin in Saddle hills but sold it a few years back, then bought new line on the Kakwa. He will probably know the owner, but most trappers do no like to many tourists around their cabins.
Sled crowd used a fair amount of my split and dried wood to heat their butts last winter.
In more looking for the small lake. Just remember a cabin being near it. I must be forgetting the area altogether as I can't find the lake / pond on Google maps even
Old 12-05-2020, 10:01 AM

Default lake

Obsessed, I know you do not get lost, but maybe only turned around for an hour or two.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Obsessed, I know you do not get lost, but maybe only turned around for an hour or two.
I rarely get lost lol. But my memory of some of the cool places I have discovered/ found are a bit foggy er than they used to be lol
Old 12-05-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
I rarely get lost lol. But my memory of some of the cool places I have discovered/ found are a bit foggy er than they used to be lol
If it was north of RR 60 it was Ken Steinbru’s cabin, he owns that line. He said he fixed the cabin and had it broken into so many times he gave up and just drives out from his house to trap.
Mine was west of the Hilltop lake road. It was a bigger log cabin with a covered porch, but no lake or pound around.
There’s another cabin off RR92 on crown land that is beside a big beaver pond. It’s an A frame that’s been there for years, I don’t know how F&W hasn’t burned it, but it’s been used the last 10 years since I found it on my line.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
If it was north of RR 60 it was Ken Steinbru’s cabin, he owns that line. He said he fixed the cabin and had it broken into so many times he gave up and just drives out from his house to trap.
Mine was west of the Hilltop lake road. It was a bigger log cabin with a covered porch, but no lake or pound around.
There’s another cabin off RR92 on crown land that is beside a big beaver pond. It’s an A frame that’s been there for years, I don’t know how F&W hasn’t burned it, but it’s been used the last 10 years since I found it on my line.
Iirc it was a little log cabin with small front porch. Door was unlocked way back then. Had a sign on the front identifying it as part of a trap line...name on it started with a O if memory serves. Cute little place. It had a really nice beaver pond or something of the sort close by. I found it snow shoeing years back but never went back. I just recall it being a cool place to hike out to. Pretty sure it wasn't out west of hill top lake although I have hunted that area a bit. Years back the Snake MT rd ( west side off RR60 right at the top of the hill around all the towers) was driveable by truck and you could get a ways in. Now a quad will get in but you'd need some serious off road recovery stuff to get a truck in there.