Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-24-2020, 08:07 AM

I keep freezing my ass off in the treestand every year. This year, I purchased a heated Milwaukee camo jacket and that helped huge but I still got the shivers on cold mornings. I'm going to try one of these full body suits next year.

For those that use them, do you climb the treestand while wearing the suit? Or do you put it on when you get up? Either way, you're going to making a lot of extra noise getting set up with this.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:09 AM

Did anyone buy and use the Arctic Shield model that has the legs etc in it. If so, how did you find it for mobility, noise, ease of shooting and for warmth?
Old 11-24-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Did anyone buy and use the Arctic Shield model that has the legs etc in it. If so, how did you find it for mobility, noise, ease of shooting and for warmth?
I know somebody got one on the form haven't seen an update yet

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2020, 09:11 AM

Now that I'm officially into my 'old age', I've found my past inclination to cover many miles a day has declined, and my blood circulation is certainly worsening. I'm feeling the cold like never before, having a hard time getting motivated to go out in the cold, and am staying out for shorter & shorter periods.

So, as my future looks like I'll be spending more time hunting from stands & blinds, I've pulled the pin on a Heater bodysuit. It's a little late for this year, but I'll test it out and be ready for next season. I purchased it in Predator camo, (which is suitable for stump sitting) and a black 'cape' overlay (which is used to 'black out' your upper half when inside a blind).

I checked 4 sources - directly from Heater bodysuit in the U.S., Amazon Canada, a new dealer in Edmonton, and North Pro Sports in Saskatoon (who are an AO forum sponsor). The best price, and the best service of all of them is North Pro Sports. They were terrific on the phone, obviously sell a ton of these in Saskatchewan, and shipped it out by Canada Post within 2 hours of my call. Very impressive. Great to support an AO sponsor.

I'm looking forward to renewing my enthusiasm for hunting the cold days of November with my buddy, Sako !
Old 11-24-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
I keep freezing my ass off in the treestand every year. This year, I purchased a heated Milwaukee camo jacket and that helped huge but I still got the shivers on cold mornings. I'm going to try one of these full body suits next year.

For those that use them, do you climb the treestand while wearing the suit? Or do you put it on when you get up? Either way, you're going to making a lot of extra noise getting set up with this.
Practice getting into it by setting up a hang on stand 1ft off the ground, I would not want to try and climb into a tree wearing it. If you are slow and methodical, you can get into and out of it without a bunch of noise.

LC
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 AM

Default Yes, I have two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Hi: I bought one for my wife and for me. It helps a lot and works very well. I have improved these suits further by "lining" the suit with backpacking high-density foam to sit on.

Together we can sit out an entire day at -15 with foot/hand warmers and warm coffee. It is very quiet and is breathable (I know this works because the suits sometimes freeze to the chair.

The price is more affordable than the "heater bodysuit" brand, but they appear similar in weight and construction. The arctic shield model comes with a hood and a orange vest as well as a treestand harness hole at the back

I ordered directly from Arctic Sheild Canadian distributor and found him easy to deal with and a hunter as well.

Hoopi
Old 11-24-2020, 01:36 PM

My wool gear keeps me warm but it my damn feet that force me to move
Old 11-24-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
If it’s because they sweat use scent free arid antiperspirant! It’s a game changer, no joke.... spray your feet too and bottom.

LC
Old 11-24-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Thermo cell foot liners are your friend, my foot liners are bluetooth to my phone, after walking in, and sitting for sometime, my feet start to get cold, turn on the foot liners, and another 3 hours of sitting, I like them for ice fishing also.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I discovered electric heated socks this season. Going on my Christmas list as my feet get cold too. Gonna try antiperspirant though
Old 11-24-2020, 05:34 PM

I use a heater body suite in my stand and it works great. Keeps me warm all day long. I personally like it doesn’t have arms like others. I can keep my arms inside which helps stay warmer.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:25 PM

I got the arctic shield one but have only been able to use it once so far, was hoping to get a little more use out of it before giving a review. Initially I think this thing is going to be awesome but I haven't had the chance to use it in really cold weather. Temps were from -6 to -10 or so during my sit and I had hiked out with nothing more than a regualr sweater, hunting pants and regular hiking boots and was toasty warm from noon till evening. If I had my arms out for a long time it would obviously get cold but you can tuck your arms back in and warm up.

Using it for rifle hunting right now and haven't had monsieur dandy walk by but I can't foresee any issues with shooting itself nothing feels odd shouldering a rifle. It could get tricky archery or rifle hunting in a situation where you have to be quick and quiet and your arms are inside zipped up but will see how it goes.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the updates, especially the guys that bought the Arctic Shield version. I find the idea of legs a lot more appealing than the no leg version.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:46 PM

I was reading about the thermocell liners didn’t get good reviews do you like yours and problems with them
Old 11-25-2020, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I was reading about the thermocell liners didn’t get good reviews do you like yours and problems with them

Have found the ThermaCELL insoles to have some Bluetooth connectivity issues occasionally and the batteries don’t last more than a season or two before needing to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I had some and they crapped out fast... also I couldn’t walk in them. I think they would be ok if you were only stationary. I have to walk a few K into quite a few spots and they were uncomfortable.

LC
Old 11-26-2020, 06:19 AM

After using this years model for a week in sask hunting from a ground blind it definitely made the sit more comfortable. Extremities never got cold. Found I turned the heater on less. Takes some getting used to getting in and out. I wore big sorels inside and they never caught material (size 10.5). The weather was mild ~-15. Looking forward to testing it on those -30 days. Was surprised how light weight they are. Didn’t notice the weight hiking in. I modified the carrying system to a waist belt therefore able to wear a backpack.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
After using this years model for a week in sask hunting from a ground blind it definitely made the sit more comfortable. Extremities never got cold. Found I turned the heater on less. Takes some getting used to getting in and out. I wore big sorels inside and they never caught material (size 10.5). The weather was mild ~-15. Looking forward to testing it on those -30 days. Was surprised how light weight they are. Didn’t notice the weight hiking in. I modified the carrying system to a waist belt therefore able to wear a backpack.
Which did you use WC? Heater Body Suit or Arctic Shield?
Old 12-06-2020, 01:13 AM

Tried out the new Heater Body-suit, and liked it. Next time I'll wear something other than fleece outerwear though, as the fleece 'grabs' the Heater suit lining somewhat. A smooth synthetic would work better for sliding in & out of it. A little awkward getting into it, within the close confines of the blind, but I'll get better at it - and it helps to have a chair with arms, or a sapling nearby to steady ones-self with. But very toasty - I dozed off for a little while! It'll get some use for sure.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnhunter View Post
Which did you use WC? Heater Body Suit or Arctic Shield?
Heater Bodysuit.