Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-05-2020, 01:51 PM

Default Canadian Tire Not Selling Ammunition

Dropped into a Canadian Tire today and was going to pick up some targets for a range trip and when I walked past the ammunition case a large sign read that it was no longer for sale. Has anyone seen similar signage in other CT stores? I asked the fellow at the sporting goods counter what was the reasoning and he did not know.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:58 PM

I'll check out Leduc tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2020, 02:21 PM
Banned

As of yesterday the two stores I frequent in Edmonton had pretty good stock of ammo.
Remember, they are franchises and if the franchise owner decides not to stock something it isn’t necessary company wide.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:23 PM

That's probably more just your store than franchise wide. Perhaps mention the store location you're referring to? Two locations in Calgary have pretty significant inventory, I'd not see those franchisee's giving up on that inventory voluntarily.

Man, that would be a difficult store for me to boycott, but I would if they did that as a corporate thing.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:28 PM

Do this store sell firearms?

The CT closest to me does not sell firearms but has a small amount of ammo for sale. I could see them deciding to get out of the ammo business.

On the other hand, if the CT at MacLeod and Southland decided to get out of the ammo business that would be a strange business decision considering the amount of firearms that they sell.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Do this store sell firearms?

The CT closest to me does not sell firearms but has a small amount of ammo for sale. I could see them deciding to get out of the ammo business.

On the other hand, if the CT at MacLeod and Southland decided to get out of the ammo business that would be a strange business decision considering the amount of firearms that they sell.
Yeah, that store and the Shawnessy one are the two I was just referring to. Both have reloading supplies too, though the Southland location probably has more inventory in that regard.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:27 PM

It could be something as simple as the individual named on the firearms sales license is no longer with that store. (quit, fired, deceased)
IIRC- When the firearms laws were changed in the early 1990's, the blanket licensing that retail operations had to sell firearms and ammunition was nullified. The new laws required an individual to be licensed by the CFO in order to sell, and be personally responsible for these products. That is when most of the box stores in Canuckistan dropped these products; it wasn't due to declining sales and loss of profits.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-05-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
That's probably more just your store than franchise wide. Perhaps mention the store location you're referring to? Two locations in Calgary have pretty significant inventory, I'd not see those franchisee's giving up on that inventory voluntarily.

Man, that would be a difficult store for me to boycott, but I would if they did that as a corporate thing.
It was the Millwoods Town Center location in south Edmonton. Its probably a licensing thing as others have mentioned, I was just wondering if others have noticed this.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:34 PM

Yes, it happened in our town. Previous owner had great selection and shut Walmarts gun department down.Almost shut a small store down as well.New CT owners got out of guns but thank goodness small guy survived and is still around.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Dropped into a Canadian Tire today and was going to pick up some targets for a range trip and when I walked past the ammunition case a large sign read that it was no longer for sale. Has anyone seen similar signage in other CT stores? I asked the fellow at the sporting goods counter what was the reasoning and he did not know.
they are all privately owned and it up to the dealer if they want to carry it or not
Old 12-09-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
they are all privately owned and it up to the dealer if they want to carry it or not
There is a very large and successful CT in Whitehorse. They got out of guns with the exception of air rifles and the like and still stock some ammo but the volume is a way down. When I inquired about the reasoning the manager told me with the increasing rules and regs and the amount of paper work involved to make a firearm sale it got to the point of being stupid so they bailed. There is more money in " accessories" with a way less hastle.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
There is a very large and successful CT in Whitehorse. They got out of guns with the exception of air rifles and the like and still stock some ammo but the volume is a way down. When I inquired about the reasoning the manager told me with the increasing rules and regs and the amount of paper work involved to make a firearm sale it got to the point of being stupid so they bailed. There is more money in " accessories" with a way less hastle.
again that is the decision of the individual owner of the store not the company in general
Old 12-10-2020, 10:06 AM

Leduc west had lots yesterday
Old 12-10-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Was there not a campaign promise about "cutting" red tape ?? Welcome to the new "normal"
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.