Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2013, 04:38 PM

Default Shotgun Choke for Grouse

Hi,

Should you use an IC to keep the pattern open to not ruin the meat, or use a full to try and take the head off? Or is Modified the best copromise? I'll be shooting No. 8 shot.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:47 PM

Default wing shooting?

That is why choke tubes are so popular I carry them in my pocket and while I usually start out with IC early season for huns or sharptails if they are getting spooky and flushing long I can change to modified. #8 is more of a clay shoot but I have taken birds on the wing with 7.5 so I doubt there is a major difference. Still prefer 6 shot for all wing shooting. if you are shooting ruffies on the ground I don't think it matters.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Head shots?

On the wing?

Or most likely ground swatting?

Use your .22 or a .410 if your ground swatting them!

There are no absolutes
Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 PM

Partner will have the 22 for ground shots, I'll take the fliers with the 12 bore.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofcydonia View Post
Partner will have the 22 for ground shots, I'll take the fliers with the 12 bore.
Then IC.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:15 PM

There's always two barrels in any grouse gun in my hands, and they are always improved cylinder and modified.
They may differ in thousandths of an inch because European guns are somewhat variable in constriction. They might be closer to Skeet and Improved Modified, but they are pretty close to above.
Choke tubes are more useful in theory than in practice, IMHO.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
There's always two barrels in any grouse gun in my hands, and they are always improved cylinder and modified.
They may differ in thousandths of an inch because European guns are somewhat variable in constriction. They might be closer to Skeet and Improved Modified, but they are pretty close to above.
Choke tubes are more useful in theory than in practice, IMHO.
Any choke combination will do on a double as longs as it is IC/Mod
Cat
Old 09-17-2013, 11:27 PM

Full, in the 410.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:08 AM

less is more
Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Smile 12 ga.?

That is a lot of gun even in IC. Do you have a dog and are the shots close? If so a smaller ga. in mod is a good choice. I'm shooting huns with #8 in a 20 ga. ic and mod.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Default Cat

sorry to steal the thread but Cat I have to disagree somewhat, lately I've been using more open chokes, early huns with lead and ducks with steel SK n IC. Checked patterns etc. and I believe that with "new" shot shells patterns r tighter and therefore more open chokes give better patterns at say 30 m's.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:27 AM

I focus on decapitation. Actually ends up usually just 1 -5 BB's in the head/neck. Aim in inch or two above the head.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:08 PM

I use IC when hunting over a Britt and modified with the springer.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:30 PM

IC or skeet is hard to beat with 6's or 7 1/2. I prefer a 20 , but the 12 does just fine. I am hoping to get a couple this fall with the double 13 ga muzzle loader bored Cyl/Cyl and #6 shot.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
That is a lot of gun even in IC. Do you have a dog and are the shots close? If so a smaller ga. in mod is a good choice. I'm shooting huns with #8 in a 20 ga. ic and mod.
Yip, usually my 12 ga shotguns stay home for upland.. 20 ga mod/imp 7 1/2's or 8's Straight-gripped BSS seems so appropriate.. suits my needs

If it's a single bbl,12 ga, I'd probably go I/C if you're hunting fields and Mod if you're hunting bush Ruffies.

Last edited by ACKLEY ABE; 09-19-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
sorry to steal the thread but Cat I have to disagree somewhat, lately I've been using more open chokes, early huns with lead and ducks with steel SK n IC. Checked patterns etc. and I believe that with "new" shot shells patterns r tighter and therefore more open chokes give better patterns at say 30 m's.
I use guns with loads ranging from black powder and fibre wads too fern stuff and the most hi-tec wads made and have never worried about what choke the gun was.
Some of them are cylinder and some are as tight as full.
The reason I choose IC/Mod in a new gun is because I have found tjose yep capable of killing at ranges out to 50 yards or ad close as 10 feet. I also detest screw in chokes and prefer to make sure I can hit my birds in the head/
Neck area as much as possible with whatever gun I have in my hands
I have never missed a bird that I blamed
on using the wrong choke- I sure have missed some by not swinging properly however.
Cat
Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 AM

I wouldn't carry an 8 lb. waterfowl 12 ga. for very long walking in the field, but....there are 12 bores that weigh just over 6 lbs, and with suitable cartridges this would be an ideal upland bird gun.

There is no practical difference between a 12 bore shooting 1 to 1 1/8 ounce loads and the 20 ga shooting 1 oz loads. We don't need punishing heavy loads to shoot grouse or even pheasants. An ounce of no. 6 plated shot will do just fine.

It all has to do with the chokes and the resulting patterns at the distance the birds come up.

Give me a light, handy double gun with one open choke for close birds and one a bit tighter for more distant shots and I'll be a happy camper.