Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 PM

Default Air compressors

Okay, I'm looking at getting a new air compressor for work. I'd like something with a large tank and a smallish motor. The last couple I've had have been oil free, which I like because they draw less current (I need to run it off an extension cord) and they run reliably in the winter no matter how cold it gets. I'm open to a compressor that uses oil, but it's gotta work in the cold and off an extension cord without frying.

We'll say my budget for this is about $450

edit: vertical tank orientation preferred

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geezle; 04-25-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:07 PM

got a porter cable and i use synithic oil in it adn it starts up at -32 to air up tires adn such good machine adn it sits outside all year round and it has to be about 3 yrs old now i couver it up but not all the time

Old 04-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLYBILLYBARRY View Post
got a porter cable and i use synithic oil in it adn it starts up at -32 to air up tires adn such good machine adn it sits outside all year round and it has to be about 3 yrs old now i couver it up but not all the time
How big of a motor on it?

My last compressor was a Porter Cable but it was oil free. Only lasted a couple years before it died.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM

I have a ridgid 150 psi twin tank. I would not recomend it. It needs to be pluged in at the outlet. won't run on a cord, just blows the breaker.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Not again? I thought you just went through this. Air compressor basics. No run well when it's cold and no extension cord. Build a hot box for it , with a light bulb, at least to get it started and get a proper ground cable, preferably 12 gau. Air compressors are cheap and expendable. My little Prime twin tank, which is on it's second year, seems to do better on 20 amp circuits, as well.
Grizz
Old 04-25-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Not again? I thought you just went through this. Air compressor basics. No run well when it's cold and no extension cord. Build a hot box for it , with a light bulb, at least to get it started and get a proper ground cable, preferably 12 gau. Air compressors are cheap and expendable. My little Prime twin tank, which is on it's second year, seems to do better on 20 amp circuits, as well.
Grizz
Well yeah, I replaced my big Porter Cable with one that was the same, but I'm having my doubts about it. Thinking about punting it and getting something different altogether.

Never thought about your hotbox idea before, but I like it. Once it's going it usually cuts in often enough that it should stay warm. So with that being said, I guess the extension cord thing is most important.

Those little Prime compressors are wicked, I know lots of guys that use them, they just draw a lot of juice. Out in Onion Lake where I was working there wasn't even enough power at the box there to get one of those compressors to kick over.

Anybody out there ever use the DeWalt oil free compressors? This one looks like it would fit the bill http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 PM

I bought the makita contractors unit (MAC5200), 3 hp oiled compressor. It has framed 3 houses so far without a hiccup, and is light enough for one guy to wheel around and toss into the back of a truck or whatever is necessary.

http://www.makita.ca/index2.php?even...d=247&catid=30

The handle on it easily folds down for a mobile application. I would look into this one seriously if i were you.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I bought the makita contractors unit (MAC5200), 3 hp oiled compressor. It has framed 3 houses so far without a hiccup, and is light enough for one guy to wheel around and toss into the back of a truck or whatever is necessary.

The handle on it easily folds down for a mobile application. I would look into this one seriously if i were you.
I bought the same one for my mobile compressor for doing service work. I think it's a piece of crap. Everything ratles loose on it, doesn't run in the cold very well,extremly loud. I wouldn't buy another one.
Had a small twin tank Prime compressor for years and it was way better than this makita.Unfortunatly someone stole it from my truck....

Last edited by whitetailhntr; 04-25-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post

I didn't see it on the site (maybe I missed it?) but what size is the tank on that one? I already have a small 6 gal for any service work I do, I'm just looking for a big guy to park in the trailer for my bigger day to day work

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 PM

5.2 gallon. Not a huge tank, but it keeps 2 guys busy nailing walls together and sheathing roofs without a hitch.

If you are looking for something bigger, spend around 600 and get a Jenny. They used to be Emglo, but dewalt bought the name and put it on a yellow compressor, so they renamed and now build it under the Jenny name.

It is a blue twin tank wheelbarrow style unit that is bombproof. They run quiet and have a no load setting to warm them up in the winter. I have had mine for a few years now, and use it with a 4 man framing crew. I have never had a situation where i had to wait on that compressor.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM

Default try Waldo's in Cgy.

Waldo Distributing of Calgary is an industry leader when it comes to compressor and nailer sales & service.

Walter and his guys know their stuff and have a great selection of dependable tools & accessories/fasteners, at competitive prices. Al Mills has been running the service dept. for more than 12 years, and provides incredibly short turn-around fixes for tools shipped in from out-of-town. Every dealing I have had with this firm has been top notch, even though I am a tiny little customer to them.

Waldo's is also a great place for deals on used compressors, nailers.

Waldo's is at 518-42nd Avenue S.E., Cgy. Park by the side of the building.

http://http://www.waldo1.com/