Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 09:39 AM

Default Puzzles - Anyone Do Them

The wife has a puzzle on the go pretty much all the time, if I'm bored I will sit down for a while and work on it, we just finished a 3,000 piece, took us a long, long time, the colors meshed so much it made me cross eyed.
Puzzle.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
The wife has a puzzle on the go pretty much all the time, if I'm bored I will sit down for a while and work on it, we just finished a 3,000 piece, took us a long, long time, the colors meshed so much it made me cross eyed.

Attachment 189435
I hear you on the vision problem. I wouldn't last long on one that blends the similar colours like that.

I have a few motorcycle puzzles that I did years ago. I disassembled them in big pieces so I could reassemble them later if I decided to frame them.

Has your wife ever framed some that she's completed? I've always wondered how that turns out. With gluing and all that.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2024, 09:59 AM

Nope never tried to frame one, we just do them and pass them on usually to my sister as we trade back and forth, the wife volunteers 3 days a week at the Olive Tree store so gets them for a couple $$ when they are all done with them she donates them back to the store to be resold, this one measures 46 x 33

Last edited by waldedw; 03-02-2024 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:24 AM

My father was crazy about puzzles in his younger years, he used to build them with the photo side down when he got bored. I guess now we have social media to kill time.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-02-2024, 10:39 AM

I don't do them much but when my Mom was still with us She would always have one on the go. We would usually end up huddled over a puzzle when we visited.
Before Covid the Library had a couple of tables with puzzles on the go, people would just come and go. You might see 2-3 people at a table, was a sort of meeting place.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:34 AM

For a while I would pick up a new puzzle from Cabela’s for my grandfather. About every month or so when I would come out to the farm. He really liked the wildlife ones.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:28 PM

Not that type of puzzle...but I play wordle, wordhurdle, quordle and dordle daily.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:21 PM

My Wife took up puzzles this winter. I used to do a fair number of them with my one Great Aunt when I was little. Not ashamed to say, I’m really liking participating in them again. Not for hours on end or anything of that nature. But a few minutes here and there isn’t bad at all. They get done when they are done if it takes 2 weeks or two months.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:39 PM

My wife loves them and usually has one on the go. I find them tedious and boring. LOL
Old 03-02-2024, 07:00 PM

Default Puzzles

If anyone has a chance, try a “Wasgij” puzzle. Yep, jigsaw backwards. We really like them! No indication of what you are building!
Old 03-02-2024, 07:08 PM

My wife seems to have inherited the love of puzzles from her family, primarily her Dad, a couple I have mounted below, they are all 1000 pieces.

This one is glued across the face of the image and glued to a chloroplast backer. Mounting it to the chloroplast was a real bear for some reason, it fought me every step of the way and took multiple attempts. The finished result is good however.

This one she completed at Christmas time and is awaiting some type of mount from me, I've been dreading doing it and putting it off.

This one she bought me for Christmas a few years ago, the only one I've built myself. With the pieces all being either black, orange, white or a combo of those - it was very difficult! Glued and mounted to 1/8" wall board with no issues. I just rearranged my 'office' in the basement, haven't adjusted the position of the floating shelf or the puzzle yet... putting that off as well.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:11 PM

My wife does quite a few. This is one of her Thomas Barbey ones. All shades of grey and not the easiest for sure. Only 1000 pieces but took her a long time. I spread some kind of puzzle, white glue on it and framed it for her so nobody else had to experience the pain. The blueish tints are just reflections.
Old 03-03-2024, 07:51 PM

Covid time fillers

Old 03-04-2024, 05:37 AM

My only experience with them is when I am with my youngest grandchild. Love it as the pieces are so big...
Old 03-04-2024, 07:09 AM

We use a puzzle glue called Mod Podge that we found at Michaels. Goes on white with a brush and dries clear
We just staple them onto our basement landing wall
Old 03-04-2024, 07:15 AM

Wall of jig

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JIG4.jpg (65.3 KB, 69 views)
Old 03-05-2024, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Wall of jig

That's cool

Old 03-05-2024, 09:33 AM

Just came back from the trip to Malaysia, my friend living there got hooked on puzzles. There's the store there, puzzles are plastic, not paper. Realty nicer quality. Can even get the frame for it... Got one for myself, 2000 pieces, with the frame... Will see how long it'll take to assemble.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
We use a puzzle glue called Mod Podge that we found at Michaels. Goes on white with a brush and dries clear
We just staple them onto our basement landing wall
Yeah, the stuff I bought was specifically for puzzles but probably just re-labelled Modge Podge. Spread it on with an old credit card.
Old 03-05-2024, 04:42 PM

Wow some of these look tough. Even as a kid I never liked any kinds of arts, crafts or anything like puzzles. I think the largest puzzle I put together had 8 wooden pieces.