Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-16-2018, 12:08 PM
pinelakeperch's Avatar
pinelakeperch pinelakeperch is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,473
Default Sturgeon Set Up Recommendations

What do you guys think about this set up for lake sturgeon fishing in the Bow and Oldman?

Rod: 8ft Ugly Stik Catfish
Reel: Shimano 5000 (haven't nailed down the model, just wondering if 5000 is sufficient)
Line: PowerPro 50lb braid

Excited to see some recommendations. Hoping to keep the entire set up at $200 or less.

Thanks!
__________________
2018 Count:

Outings: 8

Rainbow trout: 24

Tiger trout: 24

Brook trout: 1

Northern pike: 1 (PB: 42in - 20lbs)

Walleye: 1

Goldeye: 1

Suckers: 2
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2018, 04:52 PM
curtis_rak's Avatar
curtis_rak curtis_rak is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: West of Edmonton
Posts: 535
Default

I took a gamble and landed a 4 footer on the NSR with a 7' Abu Garcia Veritas med-heavy and a Shimano Citica with 30lb braid. It worked, but it was sketchy and I'm surprised I didn't break the rod....

I'd say that will work for you. The Fraser River guys use 100lb line but they are catching up to 12 foot...




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-16-2018, 05:43 PM
antlercarver antlercarver is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 858
Default

.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-16-2018, 06:19 PM
trigger7mm trigger7mm is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,682
Default Sturgeon set up

Sounds like a great set up pinelakeperch.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-17-2018, 12:50 AM
mooseknuckle's Avatar
mooseknuckle mooseknuckle is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
What do you guys think about this set up for lake sturgeon fishing in the Bow and Oldman?

Rod: 8ft Ugly Stik Catfish
Reel: Shimano 5000 (haven't nailed down the model, just wondering if 5000 is sufficient)
Line: PowerPro 50lb braid

Excited to see some recommendations. Hoping to keep the entire set up at $200 or less.

Thanks!
I think that setup will work just fine for you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Lund rebel's Avatar
Lund rebel Lund rebel is offline
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Stony plain
Posts: 469
Default

I have used a 5000 series reel before with out any issues,

I picked up 2 of the rapala magnum river series for when I take friends out 8 for mh and have worked well for me. I use 6000 series Socorro’s on them.

Think the rods are on sale for 50 or 60 right now 40 percent off.

50 pound power pro is a great line.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-19-2018, 01:23 PM
LCCFisherman LCCFisherman is offline
Suspended User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 895
Default

What's the most important is your terminal gear..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-19-2018, 03:45 PM
bobalong's Avatar
bobalong bobalong is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
What's the most important is your terminal gear..
I agree terminal tackle is very important but if you hook a 50lb+ Sturgeon you will need a good drag system reel, with good capacity and a fairly beefy rod. A 50 lb. fish in a 4-5mph current has a lot of pull and depending on where you are fishing if you can't follow a good fish up/down the river you need enough power to try and turn it before it spools you.
Main line I use 50 lb power pro, with Big Game 24-30"40lb snells with 3 or 4/0 gami hooks
11ft Quantum Affinity rod (heavy)
9ft Rapala Magnum rod (heavy)
2-6500 Ambassadeur reels
4-6 oz pyramid sinkers in high water, 3-4 oz. no snag sinkers in low water.
I use the rod and reel combos for Lake trout fishing as well

A rare double header from a few years ago

__________________
If I am lucky enough to live at the lake one day, that's lucky enough.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:25 PM
pinelakeperch's Avatar
pinelakeperch pinelakeperch is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,473
Default

Thanks for the recommendations! I picked up a couple of the Ugly Stik Catfish rods for $43 a piece. Haven't decided on a reel yet.
__________________
2018 Count:

Outings: 8

Rainbow trout: 24

Tiger trout: 24

Brook trout: 1

Northern pike: 1 (PB: 42in - 20lbs)

Walleye: 1

Goldeye: 1

Suckers: 2
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Joe Quiroga's Avatar
Joe Quiroga Joe Quiroga is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Brooks Alberta
Posts: 179
Default

Friend uses the Abu Garcia C3, I use the C4 on an Ugly Stick Tiger. Excellent reels.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-20-2018, 08:41 AM
pinelakeperch's Avatar
pinelakeperch pinelakeperch is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
Friend uses the Abu Garcia C3, I use the C4 on an Ugly Stick Tiger. Excellent reels.
I'm having such a difficult time straying from a spinning reel!

Can't wait for our little spot to open up this May
__________________
2018 Count:

Outings: 8

Rainbow trout: 24

Tiger trout: 24

Brook trout: 1

Northern pike: 1 (PB: 42in - 20lbs)

Walleye: 1

Goldeye: 1

Suckers: 2
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-20-2018, 09:02 AM
Joe Quiroga's Avatar
Joe Quiroga Joe Quiroga is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Brooks Alberta
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
I'm having such a difficult time straying from a spinning reel!

Can't wait for our little spot to open up this May
Already gave the boss the notice that when the season hits and the ice is open I'm taking a few days lol.

Was a bit weird getting used to a baitcaster but for that setup I'm definitely liking it. My spinner is also an Ugly Stick, 7' GX2 with a Shimano reel.

Ugh now I'm itching to go fishing... lol
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-20-2018, 09:07 AM
RavYak's Avatar
RavYak RavYak is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: West Edmonton
Posts: 4,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Thanks for the recommendations! I picked up a couple of the Ugly Stik Catfish rods for $43 a piece. Haven't decided on a reel yet.
200+ yards of 50 lb braid and at least 15 lbs max drag is what I recommend for Lake Sturgeon.

If you are wanting to buy a dedicated sturgeon combo then I would recommend a 6000 size Shimano(or equivalent). 5000 is big enough for most situations but you probably want to downsize to 40 lb braid to get a bit more line on it(160 yards of 40 lb power pro).

I would look at the new Sedona FI 6000. The Sedona has been a decent reasonably priced reel and they just upgraded it significantly with stronger gears, higher drag and lighter weight. They will hold 195 yards of 50 lb braid and have 22 lbs of drag, Fishin Hole has them listed for $120 so your total cost will be under the 200 budget you set out.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM
pinelakeperch's Avatar
pinelakeperch pinelakeperch is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Quiroga View Post
Already gave the boss the notice that when the season hits and the ice is open I'm taking a few days lol.

Was a bit weird getting used to a baitcaster but for that setup I'm definitely liking it. My spinner is also an Ugly Stick, 7' GX2 with a Shimano reel.

Ugh now I'm itching to go fishing... lol
I've been having dreams of it! Haven't done as much ice fishing as I've wanted to, but that's life. Hoping to get out once or twice more.

My fiancé and I plan on doing our engagement photos at Dorothy's in June. I hope the fishing is better than last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
200+ yards of 50 lb braid and at least 15 lbs max drag is what I recommend for Lake Sturgeon.

If you are wanting to buy a dedicated sturgeon combo then I would recommend a 6000 size Shimano(or equivalent). 5000 is big enough for most situations but you probably want to downsize to 40 lb braid to get a bit more line on it(160 yards of 40 lb power pro).

I would look at the new Sedona FI 6000. The Sedona has been a decent reasonably priced reel and they just upgraded it significantly with stronger gears, higher drag and lighter weight. They will hold 195 yards of 50 lb braid and have 22 lbs of drag, Fishin Hole has them listed for $120 so your total cost will be under the 200 budget you set out.
Thanks for the recommendation. I also noticed that it would be difficult to get 200 yards of PP on a 5000, unless I went really high end. I'll probably pick up the Sedona, but have also been looking at the Battle II as well.
__________________
2018 Count:

Outings: 8

Rainbow trout: 24

Tiger trout: 24

Brook trout: 1

Northern pike: 1 (PB: 42in - 20lbs)

Walleye: 1

Goldeye: 1

Suckers: 2
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Joe Quiroga's Avatar
Joe Quiroga Joe Quiroga is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Brooks Alberta
Posts: 179
Default

Last year was the worst I've seen in a long time. With the absolute crapload of snow we've had around here this winter I'm quite optimistic this will be a good year.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-03-2018, 03:07 PM
pinelakeperch's Avatar
pinelakeperch pinelakeperch is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 1,473
Default

Went with the Penn Battle II 6000 and 50lb PowerPro. Bring on open water season
__________________
2018 Count:

Outings: 8

Rainbow trout: 24

Tiger trout: 24

Brook trout: 1

Northern pike: 1 (PB: 42in - 20lbs)

Walleye: 1

Goldeye: 1

Suckers: 2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.