Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 10:33 PM

Default Sylvan Lake/Gull Lake

Hey everyone,

I'm headed up to Rimbey next weekend (I understand its a week away) to coach hockey, and thought I might try and sneak away for a couple hours to fish, if I had time. We're staying In Sylvan and I'll be taking a couple of parents with me (and a few kids, if parents allow). I've never fished either lake nor do I plan on frequenting those lakes. I'm looking for access points, breakers, springs, not honey holes. Any reply or pm is greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by lovich12; 03-14-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:15 PM

If you've only got a couple hours and you are staying in Sylvan Lake, then I'd skip Gull Lake since you'll waste an hour or more driving there and back. At Sylvan Lake I believe there is a public access point on the west side of town, in Norglenwold, though I haven't been there in years and as I recall there is no shore-parking so you would have to drive on, not sure how are the snow conditions.

Also a public access point a few miles further west, off RR 21, into Half Moon Bay. Shallow slope to the lake bottom there so you have to get a good ways from shore to hit even 8 feet deep, so that means driving on, again not sure of snow conditions. I think there is some on-shore parking here, or could just drive a bit onto the lake and walk from there if driving conditions sketchy.

Two miles further west there is access at RR23, and here there is on-shore parking if you don't want to drive out. There is an abrupt drop-off about 200 metres off-shore, water going from 4 or 5 feet deep to over 20 feet deep in just a few car-lengths. Can't miss the drop off, huts are set up all along it.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:44 PM

I was at Sunbreaker Cove last week which is less traveled area of the lake than Norglenwold and I got on there without any problems. Just have to stay on the trails.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:21 PM

as far as picking a lake it depends on the plans for the day? Rimbey is very close to Gull Lake, has good access on west side, if only limited time between games, you could go there. Parkland or Sandy Point. If starting or finishing a day off then Sylvan might work better. Good luck where ever you go!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:21 PM

If you are bringing kids I would recommend Sylvan lake rr23 on the south side of the lake. Fish in 23-27fow which is where everyone else is and run a thumper with a wire worm. Look up wire worm king on Facebook he has some awesome wire worms that are doing very well.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
If you've only got a couple hours and you are staying in Sylvan Lake, then I'd skip Gull Lake since you'll waste an hour or more driving there and back. At Sylvan Lake I believe there is a public access point on the west side of town, in Norglenwold, though I haven't been there in years and as I recall there is no shore-parking so you would have to drive on, not sure how are the snow conditions.

Also a public access point a few miles further west, off RR 21, into Half Moon Bay. Shallow slope to the lake bottom there so you have to get a good ways from shore to hit even 8 feet deep, so that means driving on, again not sure of snow conditions. I think there is some on-shore parking here, or could just drive a bit onto the lake and walk from there if driving conditions sketchy.

Two miles further west there is access at RR23, and here there is on-shore parking if you don't want to drive out. There is an abrupt drop-off about 200 metres off-shore, water going from 4 or 5 feet deep to over 20 feet deep in just a few car-lengths. Can't miss the drop off, huts are set up all along it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
I was at Sunbreaker Cove last week which is less traveled area of the lake than Norglenwold and I got on there without any problems. Just have to stay on the trails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnme View Post
as far as picking a lake it depends on the plans for the day? Rimbey is very close to Gull Lake, has good access on west side, if only limited time between games, you could go there. Parkland or Sandy Point. If starting or finishing a day off then Sylvan might work better. Good luck where ever you go!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coors04 View Post
If you are bringing kids I would recommend Sylvan lake rr23 on the south side of the lake. Fish in 23-27fow which is where everyone else is and run a thumper with a wire worm. Look up wire worm king on Facebook he has some awesome wire worms that are doing very well.
Thanks folks!! The parents I'm headed out with are avid fishermen who have never fished Sylvan either. Any success will be posted. Thanks again!!