Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Banned

Arrow Whisker biscuit info

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...hisker-biscuit

Looks like i missed a fun thread. Didn't see this posted but should give a decent story without causing too much butt hurt.

The whole series was excellent, not just this part. Axle length vs brace height from recollection was a good one too.

I will add that i got 2 fps loss with blazer vanes in a 60 lb mathews mr7 with about a pretty normal arrow....helical fletched from an arizona fletch mini. This is chrono'd back to back fyi.

I currently shoot flex fletch flash vanes and they are paper thin but tough af. And i haven't checked but i would be surprised to see a 1 fps loss of speed. Also fletched helical with the arizona mine fletch. When you see the flex fletch vanes they make most sense for a bisquit imo but also the best vanes period anyway. I bet you'd only lose maybe 2 fps with the 360's or sk 300's if you like more steerage. Blazer vanes are popular but they are floppy and fat compared to the flex fletch when you can put them side by side.

Just adding some data as i see the fps loss is greatly exaggerated by my experiences and chrony results.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 03-09-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:05 AM

Good article. The number has always been around 6 FPS. Somehow someone somewhere turned that into 6%, and then 60% probably someone who happened to be selling drop aways.

They both work. They both require a fair amount of understanding and tuning to set up. And they both can have issues. But no question, the WB has less to go wrong in the field, and the drop away will be slightly more accurate on a long range 3D course.

One thing I did in setting up my last bow, on the advice of LOSTarrow, was to go one size bigger with the biscuit. So instead of a small for my small diameter arrows, I use a medium. Much quieter, same accuracy.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Good article. The number has always been around 6 FPS. Somehow someone somewhere turned that into 6%, and then 60% probably someone who happened to be selling drop aways.

They both work. They both require a fair amount of understanding and tuning to set up. And they both can have issues. But no question, the WB has less to go wrong in the field, and the drop away will be slightly more accurate on a long range 3D course.

One thing I did in setting up my last bow, on the advice of LOSTarrow, was to go one size bigger with the biscuit. So instead of a small for my small diameter arrows, I use a medium. Much quieter, same accuracy.
LOST gotta head full of knowledge, he is missed around here to say the least. I love whisker biscuits, always will pack one on any of my bows.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:22 AM

Thanks for posting the article!

I feel better about my WB's now.

(...and it's good to see you posting again! Missed ya around here!)
Old 03-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Banned

yes common knowledge on the one size bigger, i'm sure you could get a 6 fps drop if you ran a fatty through a small biscuit lol so thats the other misconception....6 fps is not even close, thats a myth, with the right size biscuit on a modern set up you'll be looking at 1-3....tops.

Thanks man, need to sell some shizzo so can play a bit while house cleaning.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:20 PM

Default Flex Fletch

Hey Stinky, sorry for the derail, but
I run a WB on mine and my kids bows.
Have used Fusion and Blazer vanes.
Would like to try the Flex Fletch, where do you get them in Calgary??

Thanks!
Old 03-09-2018, 03:20 PM
Banned

order from flex fletch direct is what i've done

use gold tip tip grip glue i get at jim bows

arizona ez fletch mini for flash or sk200 but i just saw arizona ez fletch has a 3" mini max now and there are sk300 and a couple other flex fletch 3' vanes a guy could helical easy now

hope that helps

i've tested all the colors on cardboard pinned to my fence in the yard through low light conditions and all conditions for a couple weeks and cosmic green is the shizzle imo
Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Banned

Whisker buiscuts are hard on fletches and although a fresh one is almost as accurate as a drop away, I think they lose accuracy as they wear out like the octane hostage taker, only because of more whiskers it takes longer. That's why I stopped using them. I only saw 3-4fps difference in speed when I was testing them out. My biggest pet peave with them was having to always replace fletchings because they were torn off or starting to ripple. Nowadays the only time I have to replace fletchings is when I shoot them off with another arrow.

Like everything else in archery, it's person opinion and about weighing the pro's and con's. I switched to a fall away and won't be switching back, ymmv.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Question

I have a WB in my tackle box that is back-up in the event that my drop away fails during a hunt.

Can a run Helical fletched Blazers through a biscuit?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:26 PM
Banned

Yup go helical, when I fletch I always finish with a dab of glue on front of fletcher,never had an issue with blazers but a bit of discolouration. The flex fletch need nothing. If you can’t tug your fletch off with your fingers the biscuit isn’t going to get them off either.

Assuming fletched properly...non-issue by my experience.