Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 PM

Default Kuiu Canada?

I see them advertised on the banner with a big Canadian flag. However it looks like the US site when you click on it. Just wondering who's dollar the prices are in?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-17-2017, 07:14 PM

Default Kuiu

Price is US$ + shipping+duty
Old 01-17-2017, 08:08 PM

Check the outlet. Sometimes you get lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2017, 08:24 PM

Word is that they will be starting a Canada website (in the spring? Can't remember), priced in Canadian dollars with duty and tax worked in to the cost. Though it will still ship from US, so no real benefit.

I had difficulty finding everything I wanted in the right size and camo pattern, seems their stock fluctuates rapidly. Ended up getting most of what I wanted on a Black Friday deal with free shipping. It's nice stuff but had to keep checking to get what I wanted.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:13 PM

Their toray fabric clothing used to be made in Vancouver when they first launched. I don't know if that's still the case, but if it is, seems ridiculous to have it shipped south only to be shipped back north and taxed at the border. You'd think they'd have enough demand in Canada to keep some stock here for the rest of us.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:57 PM

I suspect it is put together overseas.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-18-2017, 08:41 AM

Default kuiu

Yeah it is very pricey, but awesome stuff. I bought a couple of pairs of gloves recently and they are made in Vietnam, which of course is not part of NAFTA and you get hit hard for duty when you ship across the border because the place of manufacture is in Vietnam, not the US. Even though they are sold in the US, if it is manufactured in another country that is not part of NAFTA you get dinged hard for duty. On a $120 US order, when my package arrived at the post office I had to pay $42 in duty. Basically cost me $200 for two sets of gloves. Even after you pay the duty, the price is very close to Sitka gear. I emailed the Canadian rep, Dallas Cota and he gave me a discount code for 15% off to order online. He said that at this time there is nothing he could do about the duty. Good guy to deal with, he got back to me right away and when I said I saw his ad on AB Outdoorsmen forum he offered the discount to me
Old 01-18-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochlan View Post
Yeah it is very pricey, but awesome stuff.

*Snip*

Even after you pay the duty, the price is very close to Sitka gear. I emailed the Canadian rep, Dallas Cota and he gave me a discount code for 15% off to order online. He said that at this time there is nothing he could do about the duty. Good guy to deal with, he got back to me right away and when I said I saw his ad on AB Outdoorsmen forum he offered the discount to me
I would personally use Kuiu gear over Sitka every time regardless of price. Good to hear you have a good experience talking with the Kuiu rep.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
I would personally use Kuiu gear over Sitka every time regardless of price. Good to hear you have a good experience talking with the Kuiu rep.
Just out of interest why do you say that?

Cheers
Old 01-19-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamid View Post
Just out of interest why do you say that?

Cheers
I like the model of the company better than Sitka. But in the end they have better gear if you are going into the Alpine. Kuiu has partnered with quite a few companies that have a solid history in the mountains such as Scarpa. This gives them more initial credibility as I already use and respect many of their partners gear (Kuiu gear has stood the test as well however).

Anything I have bought from Sitka (only 4 items now) has had an issue, usually involving durability or seam construction. Sitka is miles behind in the lightweight mountain gear market compared to Kuiu in my opinion (others may vary).

P.S OP the new Canadian site is supposed to launch spring of this year. It will have duties and shipping calculated into the cost and be in CDN.

http://www.kuiu.com/blogcontents?par...V0Lz9wPTE5NjQx

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 01-19-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akoch View Post
Word is that they will be starting a Canada website (in the spring? Can't remember), priced in Canadian dollars with duty and tax worked in to the cost. Though it will still ship from US, so no real benefit.
Thats a silly move. There is no reason for them to not go into retail like sitka, firstlite, MR, stone glacier, and Kifaru OR at least have a distribution center in Canada. At the end of the day kuiu is the same price and quality as the rest after paying tax, shipping, and duty.

And the silly excuse they use of their stuff would cost double if they went into retail is dumb. Retailers would get kuiu stuff at a lower price point to keep the price in line with everything else. Kuiu just wants to keep all the profits for themselves (and I can't totally blame them) but at what cost in lost customers.......

Toray fabric is nothing ground braking and if you look at a lot of high end outdoor clothing companies, toray fabrics are in their lower end products.

I like the kuiu stuff i own but have never paid full price either.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Banned

Paid $170 in duty for a $650 order.. Still beyond belief. Never again.

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-07-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 PM

What's to be ****ed off about? It's not made in Merica so you pay handling, gst and duty. Pretty simple.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Paid $170 in duty for a $650 order.. Still ****ed off beyond belief. Never again.
Can't hate on KUIU or Sitka for that....hate on our Government duty collection.

LC
Old 01-20-2017, 09:39 PM

Just a personal experience on Kuiu. Yes the duty sucks when you order. Order in the new year or spring if you want it for next season and even then you may not get everything on time. And there Yukon gear soaked right through for me in half a day. I know gortex with Sitka isn't totally water proof either but it is more "water resistant" then the Kuiu gear. But I agree with others that the Kuiu gear is tuff and well made. I'll bring a cheep poncho next time just incase there's another day or 2 of heavy rain and snow.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:20 PM

Default yukon gear

Hello Marathon17,

I saw your comment in regards to your Yukon gear being soaked. Please send our rep Dallas Cota an email and he will help out. Sounds like your gear needs to be retreated with DWR. Depending on usage and storage DWR can wear off.
dallasc@kuiu.com
Old 01-29-2017, 11:31 PM

Default retail vs direct to consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lok View Post
Thats a silly move. There is no reason for them to not go into retail like sitka, firstlite, MR, stone glacier, and Kifaru OR at least have a distribution center in Canada. At the end of the day kuiu is the same price and quality as the rest after paying tax, shipping, and duty.

And the silly excuse they use of their stuff would cost double if they went into retail is dumb. Retailers would get kuiu stuff at a lower price point to keep the price in line with everything else. Kuiu just wants to keep all the profits for themselves (and I can't totally blame them) but at what cost in lost customers.......

Toray fabric is nothing ground braking and if you look at a lot of high end outdoor clothing companies, toray fabrics are in their lower end products.

I like the kuiu stuff i own but have never paid full price either.
The materials and process's KUIU uses are not cheap, we wouldn't be where we are if they weren't. If we went to retail our products would be priced out of the average consumers reach. We do all our own R&D and testing before sending the product to production.

At the end of the day retail strangles innovation.

Buying retail means you pay more for less, we educate the customer and remove the young 16 year old kid thats getting paid to tell the customer, that is usually more educated than the staff as to what they need. Brick and mortar stores cost money and with added costs comes a product with a higher consumer price.

http://www.kuiu.com/business-model.html
Old 01-30-2017, 09:28 AM

I have some of the heavy rain gear coming. I think it is the "Yukon" gear. Am I to understand that it needs to be retreated as a maintenance thing? If so how often and how is the product acquired?
Old 01-30-2017, 10:49 PM

I for one really love the gear , Only complaint i have is my alpine pants dont have the water DWR thought it did when i ordered.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:53 PM

Any garment that has a water proof breathable membrane needs to be retreated. We recommend at least once per season, although that may vary depending on usage.

Heres a great link on DWR.

http://hunt.kuiu.com/?p=503
Old 01-30-2017, 10:56 PM

leadpillproductions

You can apply DWR to any garments after the fact. Its a good idea to have some on hand for retreating your hardshell layers.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:07 PM

Thanks for the follow up Kuiu Canada. I didn't know the fabric needed to be retreated that often if washed properly. But I will certainly look into that to be set for next season as I will be wearing the Yukon gear again

Old 02-01-2017, 06:21 PM

Right on thanks , didnt relize it could be re applied . Can buy or has to be sent in ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuiu Canada View Post
leadpillproductions

You can apply DWR to any garments after the fact. Its a good idea to have some on hand for retreating your hardshell layers.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:36 PM

Dallas is a Great guy to deal with and i think he's doing his best to make it more attractive for Canadians to purchase in the future.
I love my gear and i also take care of my KUIU Gear. Its an investment like all your other Hunting equipment and will keep you comfortable and dry & warm when you need it most.

I'm hoping Jason will come up with a Winter Camo pattern next....
Old 02-07-2017, 12:53 PM

Just an FYI for anyone interested in Calgary. Kuiu has a booth at the Calgary boat and sportsmen show this coming up Feb. 9-12. Might have some deals
Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadpillproductions View Post
Right on thanks , didnt relize it could be re applied . Can buy or has to be sent in ?
You can buy DWR product at most outdoor stores (Wholesale, Cabela's, MEC, Campers Village, ECT). Nikwax and Granger's are the top two. Get a wash in DWR apposed to the spray on stuff (it works far better).

http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/products...hp?productid=3

http://grangers.co.uk/products/clothing-repel

It can be applied to non waterproof items as well. Most tight knit pattern clothing can accept a DWR coating. It will add some water repellency but will not make the garment water proof.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:35 PM

I'm a little disappointed in the DWR re treatment. I thought I had missed out on some gear care step for the Yukon jacket and pants. However, I already use Nikwax tech wash and the wash in DWR. The Yukon gear is no where near water resistant. And if it's the DWR that's providing the "water resistance" why pay the premium for a fabric that's supposed to be more water resistant in the first place? Anyway, if it rains heavy have a plan B poncho.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:20 PM

Is any of the Kuiu gear actually wasterproof and not just water resistant??
Old 02-08-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon17 View Post
I'm a little disappointed in the DWR re treatment. I thought I had missed out on some gear care step for the Yukon jacket and pants. However, I already use Nikwax tech wash and the wash in DWR. The Yukon gear is no where near water resistant. And if it's the DWR that's providing the "water resistance" why pay the premium for a fabric that's supposed to be more water resistant in the first place? Anyway, if it rains heavy have a plan B poncho.

Hi Marathon17. Have you tried following up with Kuiu regarding warranty on your gear? It sound like you are maintaining the gear correctly so I would wonder if there is a problem with the material.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:16 AM

I'm corresponding with Dallas currently. They have been good at following up here Has your Yukon gear held up well in wet weather?