Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-17-2017, 05:27 PM

Question Barbless Hooks survey

I was just wondering if anyone here was aware of the website Talk Alberta Environment and Parks, where a survey is being conducted (for 4 months now) about barbless hooks in Alberta? If you are not aware, and are concerned about the government putting a barbless hook regulation in place, you should probably take the survey.

What concerns me is that this survey has been up for four months, and I doubt few know about it. Anyone who has been reading my columns in the AO knows I (among others) have concerns about the lack of communication between AEP biologists and stakeholders. To me, this hidden survey is just another example. Managers appear to be using 'straw' (non-scientific) polls to justify policy...?

Anyway, take the survey (it's very short). Whether your response will be used is another issue...?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
I was just wondering if anyone here was aware of the website Talk Alberta Environment and Parks, where a survey is being conducted (for 4 months now) about barbless hooks in Alberta? If you are not aware, and are concerned about the government putting a barbless hook regulation in place, you should probably take the survey.

What concerns me is that this survey has been up for four months, and I doubt few know about it. Anyone who has been reading my columns in the AO knows I (among others) have concerns about the lack of communication between AEP biologists and stakeholders. To me, this hidden survey is just another example. Managers appear to be using 'straw' (non-scientific) polls to justify policy...?

Anyway, take the survey (it's very short). Whether your response will be used is another issue...?
Already taken, but good reminder.

Voted pro choice.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:28 PM

Smile

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=4
Already a sticky about it bud.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .243dude View Post
Thanks! I searched for a thread but obviously used the wrong terms.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:58 PM

Would be nice to have simpler regs for the Bow.

Last edited by wind drift; 01-17-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:21 AM

Default Bump

Is it just me or has this survey been strategically hidden away from where actual fishermen would be looking? I could think of few widely read places that they could receive plenty of feedback from Alberta fishermen.

The survey is 1 question.

After the survey they say it was only by accident the ban was removed... They also state that studies show overall fish mortality rates are the same for barbed or barbless hooks. To me that is the whole story in a nutshell.

Or said another way ...an accident is the only reason we have a law today that makes sense..... But we are quickly trying to change that.

I have maybe 10% barbed hooks that gets used maybe 5% of the time. Please leave me alone. People I fish with use barbed hooks less than that.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:00 AM

Dave Park has lost his mind
Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
After the survey they say it was only by accident the ban was removed... They also state that studies show overall fish mortality rates are the same for barbed or barbless hooks. To me that is the whole story in a nutshell.

Or said another way ...an accident is the only reason we have a law today that makes sense..... But we are quickly trying to change that.
Interesting. Here is the quote from that page:

Quote:
Rules for angling with barbless hooks in Alberta - We want your input!
  • Alberta placed a province-wide ban on the use of barbed hooks for angling in April 2004.
  • In September 2011, an amendment made by Fisheries and Oceans Canada to the federal regulations that cover the use of fishing gear in Alberta unintentionally removed the prohibition.
  • Currently, anglers may choose to use barbed or barbless hooks as a personal decision, based on their ethics, values and preferences.
  • Although studies show that overall fish mortality rates are the same for barbed and barbless hooks, some individuals consider the use of barbless hooks to permit easier removal of the hook, minimize damage to the fish and reduce handling time
I'm with you, Forest Techer. I prefer to be able to choose for myself - I fish barbless in general.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:03 PM

what does ethics have to do with it if it doesnt make any difference?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-18-2017, 01:50 PM

Silly me. I mistakenly thought fisheries management was based on science, not public opinion. Either barbless hooks reduce fish mortality, or they don't. It's not an issue to be decided by vote.

The intro to the survey itself states: "Although studies show that overall fish mortality rates are the same for barbed and barbless hooks...". That should be the end of it. Sheesh.

If the scientific position changes and barbless hooks are found to reduce mortality, then by all means bring them back in and make them mandatory. I can live with either option, but don't bring in new regulations simply because some people FEEL they should be brought in. I've had it to here with rules based on FEELINGS.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
what does ethics have to do with it if it doesnt make any difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Silly me. I mistakenly thought fisheries management was based on science, not public opinion. Either barbless hooks reduce fish mortality, or they don't. It's not an issue to be decided by vote.

The intro to the survey itself states: "Although studies show that overall fish mortality rates are the same for barbed and barbless hooks...". That should be the end of it. Sheesh.
Agree!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:41 PM

Just heard from Dave Park that the survey has not been up for four months (that is an apparent error on the web page that will be fixed) but was placed on Jan. 13th. He said they will be contacting all WIN card holders to notify them of the survey.

So, it will be a bit more than a straw poll, but less than scientific. But then the survey is about feelings and not science.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Just heard from Dave Park that the survey has not been up for four months (that is an apparent error on the web page that will be fixed) but was placed on Jan. 13th. He said they will be contacting all WIN card holders to notify them of the survey.

So, it will be a bit more than a straw poll, but less than scientific. But then the survey is about feelings and not science.
Sorta like the rest of the Fish and Game Policies in Alberta then?
Old 01-18-2017, 03:38 PM

I like the way that SK handles barbed/barbless hooks. If it's a designated CR lake (due to species, population, pressure, etc.) it is barbless. If not, you can use barbed if you want.

I moved to barbless for a number of reasons, but most have to do with my convenience. Barbless are easier to get out of the mouth of that 1.5 lb pike that swallowed it up to the gills, easier to get out of the net when that same pike's twin rolls in the net and gets that second Mustad Triple Grip firmly implanted into the weave of the net twine (and you know he's going to flip when you just about have it freed up and get it either back into the net or into your hand), and with kids in the boat it's just easier to pull it out should it get embedded in something it shouldn't.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-18-2017, 04:19 PM

Personally I like having the choice. Barbless when c&r fishing for trout in streams, barbed for perch/whitefish/burbot for dinner.

Either way the bios who are trying to ban us from the outdoors already have their answer. Fill yer boots lads, we are living in the good old days.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Feelings

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-oHYYaw9jA

Tags
barbless hooks, fisheries management, fishing