Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Default Best coyote gun?

Ive been looking around for a new coyote gun, what do lots of people use. Want something accurate, cheap but put together well, and cheap shells. Need suggestions!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 AM

204 is the only thing I would look at if fur friendly is in mind. Cheap shells probably a 223 but u will blow holes in them way more than a 204. I shot a 22-250 for years and it is great but I'm lucky to have a hide worth much with it. 204 shoots pretty flat to 400 yards....
Old 01-16-2017, 11:11 AM

Cheep ammo = .223 REM
Cheep rifle = Savage Axis
Accurate = Axis is as accurate as most can shoot.

If you have an aversion to savage and/or the Axis as many here seem to, get the T&C Icon or Vanguard.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:18 AM

If pelt damage is not a concern, then any gun will do well. Practice with shooting different distances and theres the key.

If you are designing a system for exactly coyotes and want the fur, bullet weight and cartridge can be selectedfor the average result your looking for.... distance is a problem though because as targets are farther out, velocity slows down and terminal results change comparing near hits vs far hits, bone vs no bone hits.

Higher velocity bullets fragment bigger, slower velocity stays together and penetrates deeper. The weight of the bullet (amount of lead fragmenting) involved and speed it hits at will depend on if it fragments completely in the animal without an exit wound. Fast little bullets do this. (204)
Or it could be expanding lots doing fantastic tissue damage, but theres too much energy left and now you have a massive exit wound. Fast bigger bullets do this. (7mm Rem Mag or 22-250 as Nube described)
The third less common idea is slow big bullets. (308 win) Barely any expansion at all, small exit wound.

Expanding bullets soft points vs FMJ non-expanding also plays a role in your choice.

Last edited by Nyksta; 01-16-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:38 AM

The reason the 204 is good on fur is because of small fast bullets but it usually 90% of the time won't exit a coyote. It's the exit holes on fast moving bullets like explained above that does the damage. If I was not worried about fur I would just shoot my deer rifle so I could become better with it when the time comes and a big buck jumps out...
A good coyote gun all depends on what you want it for. If you want a used 22-250 let me know. I'm ready to sell it for a 204
Old 01-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Banned

What about a .22? I have friends that shoot coyotes and feral hogs in Texas with Ruger 10/22 but the coyotes there are smaller I think.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
What about a .22? I have friends that shoot coyotes and feral hogs in Texas with Ruger 10/22 but the coyotes there are smaller I think.
More often than not a coyote is far outside the killing threshold of the .22 long rifle or .22 Magnum.
I have used a.222 since 1968 for coyotes with Speer TNT's and other comparable bullets .
Cat
Old 01-16-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Lets not go down that route although 22 will kill a coyote it is nowhere near adequate enough for consistent kills on coyotes at the average coyote hunting distances.

To the OP. For an inexpensive to shoot round with an inexpensive rifle i would look closely at the ruger american in 223. If you want more fur friendly a 204 has a slight edge.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-16-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
The 22LR is a little bullet going slow. It will not do enough tissue damage for a kill to be quick. And it has a very high chance of not penetrating to the vitals if it hits a bone. The right shot placement it could certainly kill a coyote, deer, human, cow... you name it. But it doesnt mean its quick.

Tissue damage is done by the little tiny cuts of the metal (physically wound) and also the kinetic energy of the shockwave energy rippling through the fluid of the organs. Energy = mass x velocity squared. Velocity is the damaging part for exploding every single fluid filled cell turning lungs and heart into wrecked tissue. Without the speed all you have is extremely small cuts slowly bleeding.

When you look at ammo ratings, foot pounds is the kinetic energy Shockwave effect.
22LR has about 150 foot pounds,
17HMR 250 foot pounds,
223 1300 foot pounds,
204 1300 ft pounds,
22-250 1600 ft-lbs

My vote if you want a good all around gun for all your shooting desires. Get a 308 win and practice like crazy shooting everything from gophers to moose with the same gun. Youll be very good with it. Ammo can be as cheap as $0.50 a shot if you get stuff from over seas. And better ammo is easy to find when the target demands it.

Last edited by Nyksta; 01-16-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Cheep ammo = .223 REM
Cheep rifle = Savage Axis
Accurate = Axis is as accurate as most can shoot.

If you have an aversion to savage and/or the Axis as many here seem to, get the T&C Icon or Vanguard.
X2
Old 01-16-2017, 01:49 PM

223 with 40g and lighter bullets works great with little pelt damage.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Banned

22 nosler on an ar platform
Old 01-16-2017, 02:23 PM

Predator hunting is intriguing my son and I. So I watch these threads with appreciation.

Is there an all around solid Coyote caliber that is fur friendly but can be used on and take down Mr wolf too? Or should a guy buy a dedicated yote rifle and keep the 308 for wolf when you want to try and go after wolf in their go to wmu(crown land)?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Is there an all around solid Coyote caliber that is fur friendly but can be used on and take down Mr wolf too?
bullets are more important than cartridges.

i would personally step up to a different gun for wolves and coyotes if you want to be fur friendly on both.

just a sidenote i shot a coyote with a 308 and 165gr interbonds this year and the resulting damage was minimal.

my hunting partner also hit one with his 280 AI and there was almost no damage at all
Old 01-16-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
bullets are more important than cartridges.

i would personally step up to a different gun for wolves and coyotes if you want to be fur friendly on both.

just a sidenote i shot a coyote with a 308 and 165gr interbonds this year and the resulting damage was minimal.

my hunting partner also hit one with his 280 AI and there was almost no damage at all
There won't be if you stick a bullet through his guts or area that does not hit bone......
I kill coyotes all the time with my 7mm STW and barnes bullets. They punch pencil holes in them untill I hit bone and then it is a big mess.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
There won't be if you stick a bullet through his guts or area that does not hit bone......
I kill coyotes all the time with my 7mm STW and barnes bullets. They punch pencil holes in them untill I hit bone and then it is a big mess.
ya those non expanding bullets tend to be fairly fur friendly
Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 PM

I've owned a couple of 22-250 rifles and have had no problem with fur damage. It's not the gun that does the damage it's he ammo. When I was buying fur I had many hunters bring me damaged coyotes ang most were shot with bullets in the 55gr area. I put these guys on to a 45gr that is put out by Winchester and does very little damage. The nose of the bullet has 6 little hollow points that expand in a partition pattern as it goes in. Hardly ever comes out the other side but does a wicked job on the inside. I've turned so many hunters and trappers on to these shells that I think Winchester owes me a commission. Lol.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
I've owned a couple of 22-250 rifles and have had no problem with fur damage. It's not the gun that does the damage it's he ammo. When I was buying fur I had many hunters bring me damaged coyotes ang most were shot with bullets in the 55gr area. I put these guys on to a 45gr that is put out by Winchester and does very little damage. The nose of the bullet has 6 little hollow points that expand in a partition pattern as it goes in. Hardly ever comes out the other side but does a wicked job on the inside. I've turned so many hunters and trappers on to these shells that I think Winchester owes me a commission. Lol.

I agree 100% I have owned them all the only one I don't own any more is a .204 they are way too finicky lots of them only like a certain brand and weight all are different I have played with quite a few .204s and found them all to be a pain to shoot my Fav is a 22-250 super quick and flat my second is a .223 you can get shells anywhere as well and they are both very forgiving rifles if by chance they are sold out of your regular shells and you have to switch brands just my 2 cents happy trails .
Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 PM
Banned

I like a 223 rem shooting 40gr vmax fiocchi factory at 3700 fps or so. Quiet and fast factory ammo. Little fur damage too.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:19 PM

Ive shot a few coyotes this year with 55gr ballustic tips out of my 243. All were shot in the chest running towards me. I was surprised as they werent blown all to crap. I think my 22-250 with 50gr vmax does more damage.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:48 PM

As mentioned the best coyote Rifle ( which is what the OP asked) is black balled by the RCMP in Canada. But a Rock River Arms in .204 would be just about perfect .
Since that is not an option here pick one if the myriad of good bolt guns from .17 to .308 and fill your boots.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 PM

17 hornet
out to 200 yrds no pelt damage
turns their insides to mush
no exit holes
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-17-2017, 12:22 PM

.204 39 gr. Sierra Blitzing Ballistic tip. If I run out of those I default to Hornady 40 gr. Ballistic tips. Like other guys have said bullet is more important. Caliber is more of a preference/cost thing and bullet placement is a huge factor. If you want cheap ammo go .223. I have personally seen guys with 220 Swifts and 22-250 change their tune when out in the field hunting Coyotes. They were impressed with capability of the .20 cal. Proof is in the field. All the Varmint calibers are awesome. The .204 has less muzzle blast which is a plus for where I hunt. Let us know what you pick.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:06 PM

Smile 270 elk

I used a 22-250 Ithaca with 45 gr. winchester very little damage
Old 01-17-2017, 08:30 PM

Gotta 223 in savage. The boys nailed it. Deadly accurate, ammo everywhere and dirt cheap. Watch your shot location and fur damage is not bad. If you shoot them close range you will blow a hole in them tho. Experiment with different bullets. Bought a package gun this fall and dialed her in. It just doesn't miss with a good rest and mimimal wind. Very impressed.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:39 PM

These "best gun for species X" threads are like asking whats better, blondes or brunettes. Ask 10 guys, you will get 10 different answers, all or none of whom are right. Suffice to say that if a caliber starts with a .3 or 7mm+, its not going to be the best yote round, but it will kill them just as dead as anything. If its smaller, you can find a bullet combo that may work just fine for you depending on how much fur damage your willing to tolerate. Knowing that, the rest of the "big decision" is up to the rifle buyer.

To be honest, I should hope everyone that asks these questions already knows what the "typical" varmint calibers are (and doesnt think a .416 rigby is in the running for the best yote caliber), and there is ENDLESS information regarding the capabilities and limitations of each caliber and bullet out there.....you can read it for hours on end and there will still be no right or wrong answer. Pick something you like and run with it.

Last edited by 300magman; 01-17-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody sorensen View Post
Ive been looking around for a new coyote gun, what do lots of people use. Want something accurate, cheap but put together well, and cheap shells. Need suggestions!
Sounds like you want a Savage Axis II, or a Ruger American... 223 would be my choice for a dedicated coyote rifle.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:41 PM

been using the 22-250 for years! inexpensive ammo, flat shooting, easy rounds to find.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:02 PM

I shot a coyote at about 150yds with a 17remington. It was walking toward me and was straight on shot. It exited in front of rear leg and left a good hole in pelt. That was with 25gr factory ammo. I can't see how some of the rifles mentioned don't do more damage?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fed View Post
I shot a coyote at about 150yds with a 17remington. It was walking toward me and was straight on shot. It exited in front of rear leg and left a good hole in pelt. That was with 25gr factory ammo. I can't see how some of the rifles mentioned don't do more damage?
If you hit leg bone it is going to make a mess. Shoot them in the vitals and it just makes jelly of the insides. 98% of the Coyotes I have shot with the .204 hardly bleed, I lay them in the box of the truck shot side up and never have a mess. Most times it looks like they have been tranquilized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-03-12 15.33.16.jpg (50.3 KB, 104 views)