Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Default Bow river Calgary

Hey guys/gals I will be in Calgary mid April and was wondering typically if the fishing on the bow is productive around this time of year? I know typically it is weather dependent..

Also I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction to some accessible areas near Calgary

Any help would be appreciated thank you
Old 01-16-2017, 11:04 AM

Yes, the fishing can be pretty good in April, really good actually. Best fishing tends to be from the sewer treatment plant and downstream from there. Fish Creek Park is a pretty obvious starting point, but if you google "Bow River Fishing Access Map", there are several of them out there for free.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:13 PM

I have had some real good luck with some nice trout right off the boat launch at fish creek park by Stoney trail (accessed by driving South on bow bottom trail to the end). Back when i lived in Calgary, i pulled at least a couple 2.5lb trout from the rock bed within 10 feet of shore
Old 01-17-2017, 07:54 PM

Below the glenmore resivior dam you'll find big browns and rainbows and good sized whites.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:09 PM

The fishing can be quite good before runoff as the water starts to warm a bit. It wouldn't be my first pick for when to fish the bow, but you've got a good shot at some great fish during that time of year

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-18-2017, 08:48 AM

I find the fishing to be quite good before the run off. In the evenings you can even have some nice dry fly action on some mayflies if you're lucky.

Like a few of the posters above said, there are lots of good access points. I typically dont fish north of glemore trail, but between glenmore and the southern edge of the city there's a ton of spots to go.

Aside from that, if you have some time, venture south of town. It's less crowded and again there are plenty of access points down there as well.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
Below the glenmore resivior dam you'll find big browns and rainbows and good sized whites.
Elbow River closed in April below dam.
from Glenmore Reservoir downstream to Bow River
CLOSED Apr. 1 to May 31 and Oct. 1 to Nov. 30
June 1 to Sept. 30 and Dec. 1 to Mar. 31 – Trout limit 1 under 35 cm; All Trout over 35 cm must be released; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Maggots are the only bait allowed and only in the river from Aug. 16 to Sept. 30.
FHD