Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Default Giving out game location on social media ?

There's been numerous posts asking for .. where's the moose , where's the elk , deer , and so on ... I'm not sure it's wise that we get into sharing info with strangers of where the game is on a public forum ... Think about it , poaching maybe ... this will lead to increasing success rates and you know what that means ... everyone should pay the price and have the experience of hunting and not turning this into a game ... JMO
Old 01-14-2017, 02:59 PM

Send it private , get know who's asking

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 03:01 PM

so why even PM ? I don't get it ... you would give out that hard earned info on a pm ...still not knowing who it is ... come on... do you think there's some on here that will not support our wildlife as long as they can get a easy shoot ... and after that go south ?
Old 01-14-2017, 03:34 PM

Rio,

I think that you have brought up a fair question that we as the hunting community needs to be aware of.

Outside of potentially increasing harvest success rates which could decrease the number of licences issued, I am not sure what other negatives apply.

If the concern is a reduction of licences, what are the chances that that occurring?

We have an ballpark licenced harvest total of 70,000 big game animals annually.

There would have to be a significant increase in success rates to effect a reduction of licences issued, say 10%+.

Are there a thousand of cases yearly where internet leads are The determining factor in a successful harvest? I doubt it. I doubt if there are even hundreds.

At this point, I think this concern is immaterial.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Rio,

I think that you have brought up a fair question that we as the hunting community needs to be aware of.

Outside of potentially increasing harvest success rates which could decrease the number of licences issued, I am not sure what other negatives apply.

If the concern is a reduction of licences, what are the chances that that occurring?

We have an ballpark licenced harvest total of 70,000 big game animals annually.

There would have to be a significant increase in success rates to effect a reduction of licences issued, say 10%+.

Are there a thousand of cases yearly where internet leads are The determining factor in a successful harvest? I doubt it. I doubt if there are even hundreds.

At this point, I think this concern is immaterial.
There are several good lakes that I know of that are now decimated of perch , walleye and pike because of the Internet
I remember many years ago where a photo of a big perch was posted at a sports shop .
The place was known to many but not fished heavy except for a few.
Within days the banks we lined with people and the place was ruined by the late summer .
The same thing has happened with several areas up here for partridge .
Cat
Old 01-14-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There are several good lakes that I know of that are now decimated of perch , walleye and pike because of the Internet
I remember many years ago where a photo of a big perch was posted at a sports shop .
The place was known to many but not fished heavy except for a few.
Within days the banks we lined with people and the place was ruined by the late summer .
The same thing has happened with several areas up here for partridge .
Cat

Sure. I saw this happen before Gore made this wonderful web.

I don't think the same concern applies to big game due to how our licencing system works, at least not yet.

That's not to say I don't cringe when specific big game locations are posted for all to see.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-14-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Sure. I saw this happen before Gore made this wonderful web.

I don't think the same concern applies to big game due to how our licencing system works, at least not yet.
With the general tags it sure does
Anytime people talk about a good spot it is noted by others and the word gets out big time
Cat
Old 01-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Anytime people talk about a good spot it is noted by others and the word gets out big time
Cat

I added to my last post....

My first post was questioning whether or not such practices will have an effect on hunter opportunity. I don't think this is currently an issue.

There is no doubt that gossip on the net can influence the distribution of hunting pressure. Just as the magazine articles do. Word gets out and more people want to check it out for themselves.

AO magazine and forum are probably the most responsible for "letting secrets out" than any other business in the province. Heck, every year the AO hunter of the year awards increases the draw applications for the units where the big one was taken....

What should we do about it?

Old 01-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I put a fair amount of work into locating good locations, gaining permission etc., etc., too many times on open forums you see some guy saying the freezer is empty!, I need to kill an Elk, Moose or whatever...so he's going to drive from someplace to an unfamiliar area and attempt to fill his freezer?,, He might be better off dollar wise to buy half a cow. Along with when a hunter posts a pic of a nice animal he has harvested and the questions immediately asked are "what WMU?" , the next weekend that particular WMU is over run with hunters and the land owners have to deal with it. I know it sounds harsh , but it's hunting , not shooting, While it's true the overall harvest may not increase much, but the internet chatter and water cooler talk is enough to spoil the experience for the folks that have put in the time and effort to discover their "honey holes". That's the way I see it anyway. YMMV
Old 01-14-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
There's been numerous posts asking for .. where's the moose , where's the elk , deer , and so on ... I'm not sure it's wise that we get into sharing info with strangers of where the game is on a public forum ... Think about it , poaching maybe ... this will lead to increasing success rates and you know what that means ... everyone should pay the price and have the experience of hunting and not turning this into a game ... JMO
Rio56, you make a very good point. Sometime I am even reluctant to share much information with someone I know, because I have no way of controlling who they share with. I can only imagine how detrimental negatives could result from a well intentioned bit of information shared on a public forum. Glad you posted this.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:41 PM

Default Where`s the moose ?

Depends on if you are telling the truth.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Cat
No question about that ! If a person really wants to go hunting or fishing they will get it done. If they just want to go out and shoot or catch something real easy, that's another matter.. just post locations on the internet for them. It's hard to fathom how anyone hunted or fished successfully before all this social media stuff arrived on the scene.It sure is getting stupid out there.

Anyone heard of Spirit River ?
Old 01-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Its bad enough just telling someone or taking someone hunting in one of your spots. I took a guy hunting to one of the areas I hunt. Figuring he might get back into hunting and find his own spots once he got going again. nope he goes there every chance he gets, brings his family now, cousins, friends from the city and they fill every tag they can and those guys bring their friends and do the same. I just found somewhere else to hunt. A few years later he asked me if I knew any good spots he could hunt since where he was hunting wasn't as good as it used to be. I told him I wasn't going to show him any more spots because I didn't want them to end up like the first place I showed him on the agreement that he was supposed to keep it to ourselves. If you want to keep your hunting spot quiet and not have an increase to full throttle keep it to yourself.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Its bad enough just telling someone or taking someone hunting in one of your spots. I took a guy hunting to one of the areas I hunt. Figuring he might get back into hunting and find his own spots once he got going again. nope he goes there every chance he gets, brings his family now, cousins, friends from the city and they fill every tag they can and those guys bring their friends and do the same. I just found somewhere else to hunt. A few years later he asked me if I knew any good spots he could hunt since where he was hunting wasn't as good as it used to be. I told him I wasn't going to show him any more spots because I didn't want them to end up like the first place I showed him on the agreement that he was supposed to keep it to ourselves. If you want to keep your hunting spot quiet and not have an increase to full throttle keep it to yourself.
lesson learned , so true ... wish more on here could understand what you said..
Old 01-14-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio56 View Post
lesson learned , so true ... wish more on here could understand what you said..
X2
Old 01-14-2017, 09:27 PM
Banned

Default post#13

I will delete all the waypoints.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
good stuff ...

Last edited by Rio56; 01-14-2017 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
don't do it ..you might not find your way back under the bridge.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:00 PM

Loose lips sink ships.

If someone is willing to put in the time and go out with you take them to the areas that you have to work a little harder then graduate into the prime time areas.

I shot a large elk in an area not known to produce such an animal, one of my better half's Co workers wanted to know where I shot it, even got her to show her which area I was in when I shot him, long story short I caught her husband in the area I had hunted.

Wished him the best and carried on my merry way.

People are terrible, but spreading hate is just as bad, I have never turned anyone down that wanted to come work for it.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:07 PM

Im open about my fishing spots ans i have little problem telling people if and where i have seen game. I like to get a feel of the person but if i cant ill make a choice. What it boils down to is if you dont want to share your spot dont even look at the thread.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .300ultramag View Post
Loose lips sink ships.

If someone is willing to put in the time and go out with you take them to the areas that you have to work a little harder then graduate into the prime time areas.

I shot a large elk in an area not known to produce such an animal, one of my better half's Co workers wanted to know where I shot it, even got her to show her which area I was in when I shot him, long story short I caught her husband in the area I had hunted.

Wished him the best and carried on my merry way.

People are terrible, but spreading hate is just as bad, I have never turned anyone down that wanted to come work for it.
its not about hate ... you should re read your own post ...it's about sustainability ...
Old 01-14-2017, 10:13 PM

I couldn't agree more Rio. Deffinately not cool to be posting where you seen, shot or heard about shot on social media.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:39 PM

Why do you all come on here for

you all trolls

the info is out there hey just as a guide but its going to cost you

even the record books record where you got it

ACA does flying surveys and reports

our fisheries Bio's do reports on their netting surveys

Books and magazines report where and how

U-tube shows you where and when and how on video's

Barry Mitchell magazine tells you most lakes

most if Rainbow/Brook/Brown/Cuthroat's trout lakes are put and take if you need more ask Bio's

Farmers come on here for help with ungulates/Geese etc

Certain roads are animal magnets that need reduction(2008 16300 kill on hi-ways)

on east side of province hunting culls slow spread of disease (liberal on tags)

Hunter's mentor hunters every year

wow

but don't say anything or teach any one or share info on the net ..roflmao

how's that working for you

I share all the time and teach because that's the way I learned still learning

in the state of Maine they have 7000000 hunters that have 9 days too hunt

you guys are funny

David
Old 01-14-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post

you all trolls

most if Rainbow/Brook/Brown/Cuthroat's trout lakes are put and take if you need more ask Bio's

Certain roads are animal magnets that need reduction(2008 16300 kill on hi-ways)

wow

you guys are funny
David
its not funny it's our future in Alberta ...or have you noticed.. a simple attidude ...no doubt

Last edited by Rio56; 01-14-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:13 AM

I think a of it depends on who you are taking out, who you are talking to, etc.
Myself, have told see people about where I g ad where they could possibly get a animal, but the places hunt and fish are not really secret spots, in fact many are very easy to access, and my vehicles and boat are also well known in the area.
There have been areas however that have taken a beating because access has been opened up and it is very easy fr vehicles to get in and out of , Grist Lake is one.
Cat
Old 01-15-2017, 12:31 AM

Some people take years to gain permission or figure out honey holes for animals. I'm sure you can understand why people are reluctant to share a good spot when it takes 5 years + to harvest a quality animal.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

you all trolls

wow

you guys are funny

David

Yup, if anyone wants info they will source it out not only by the Internet...there are other means too...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2017, 01:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Once the information is gathered etc it is then up to the people who hunt/fish to manage themselves accordingly but we are all own downfall...greed...then the limits change or an area is closed...who is to blame...just look around...greed.!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2017, 01:17 AM
Banned

Turns out I can't even trust the guys from work I've gone hunting with, I've returned to spots that I've shown them (and admitted they'd never been or even knew about it) only to find them there with some other guy...

I'll be damned if I'll tell anyone what I've seen or where, put in your own god damn leg work... I had to.

I'm with Rio56.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:27 AM
Banned

Quote:

in the state of Maine they have 7,000,000 hunters that have 9 days too hunt.
I call BS... The entire State only has 1.3 million people in it.

And the deer season in Maine: Maine Residents Only: October 29, 2016 - November 26, 2016 / All Hunters: October 31- November 26, 2016

Moose: Sept 25 -Nov 25/2017