Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
3 years old? What the hell are they feeding their deer in Tennessee/Iowa, wherever that was?

I thought I heard the Neil Morin buck, which was shot around Falher and went around 250", was also a 3 year old deer. That deer is one of my favourites on the Cabela giants wall.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-14-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I thought I heard the Neil Morin buck, which was shot around Falher and went around 250", was also a 3 year old deer. That deer is one of my favourites on the Cabela giants wall.
Actually just shy of 280"
I believe it is a pretty mature deer though. He told me the whole story a couple years ago, never said anything about age. I will ask him next time I see him
Old 01-14-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Even if it's not a pen raised deer...it had some help from some food plots etc.
Same can be said with mule deer and whitetail anywhere eating off a pea field or whatever else the farmer is growing. Heck of a deer, lots of inches packed in there especially with a small inside spread. I hear the hunter is an extremely nice guy and well deserving of the buck.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Sure does look pen raised.

Either way.... just doesn't do it for me. I dunno why.
What does a pen raised deer look like? Is there some features or just that it has big antlers?

Anyway congrats to the the hunter! The bigest fair chase whitetail ever taken by a hunter!
Old 01-14-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
While I certainly wouldn't pass on that buck I have seen other bucks (in pictures) that I would choose over this one if given the choice. I like some "junk" on a rack, some sticks, split tine or two, drop tines (cool) but that just looks like a pen raised deer to me.
Congrats to him though as it is a once in several lifetimes type of deer.
I totally agree with you Bessie dog.
Not so say I wouldn't stop shooting until the guts are out if it showed in my scope.
I think the ed pick buck from reddeer (circa 1990's) is the king for me. 195 typical and 235nt.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-14-2017, 07:29 PM

Oh I'd shoot him for meat for sure.

I just find the rack..... ugly ... dunno why, but I do.

There's a deer farm I drive by now and then..... the horns on some of them are all freak-show like this one.... so I just made an probably unjustified assumption.

Three years to get him? That musta been satisfying.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-15-2017, 01:22 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Gallatin resident Stephen Tucker, 26, shows off the whitetail deer with a 47-point rack he killed in Sumner County on Monday.
Submitted
Stephen Tucker, 26, of Gallatin attempted to shoot the trophy buck with a muzzleloader on Saturday, but his gun misfired. He saw the animal again later in the day but was too far away to get what he thought was a clean shot.
"I was just hoping I would see him again after I passed up the shot the second time I saw him," said Tucker, who estimated he was about 150 yards away at the second sighting. "My thinking was the second time I saw him was as far away as he was and as big as he was, I wanted to make sure that I killed him. I didn't want to cripple him. I said to myself, 'If I cripple him, nobody will get to kill him.' The last thing I wanted to do was be the guy who crippled a deer like that."
RELATED
Potential world record deer antlers could be worth $100,000
Tucker saw the buck again two days later, about 6 a.m. Monday, and killed him with a shot from approximately 40 yards away.
"There's no doubt it's going to be the new state record; I mean, that's an absolute," Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency District 21 captain Dale Grandstaff said. "As far as the world record, (the rack) is about an inch over the world record."

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-15-2017, 01:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayM77 View Post

What does a pen raised deer look like? Is there some features or just that it has big antlers?
Typically, they're fed lots of supplements to promote antler growth. Resulting in deer with un-natural antler growth...

*BTW - all I did was Google "pen raised deer"...

Old 01-15-2017, 02:18 AM

^ by looking at the pictures, there is more antlers than meat. Why? Shame.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
While I certainly wouldn't pass on that buck I have seen other bucks (in pictures) that I would choose over this one if given the choice. I like some "junk" on a rack, some sticks, split tine or two, drop tines (cool) but that just looks like a pen raised deer to me.
Congrats to him though as it is a once in several lifetimes type of deer.
It may have been a pen raised deer that was let out of the pen to be shot as a free range deer. One will never know thou will they. Either way still an impressive deer.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:11 AM

I'm afraid we live in a world now where a picture of a dead deer and the hunters word are not good enough for people to believe the story. Seems like we have to have multiple trail cams and sheds from a buck before we will believe a legitimate story on a big deer. In reality though most record book big deer are killed out of luck, right place at the right time. Just because the guy doesn't have the sheds from the last 6 years or millions of trail cam photos doesnt make it a legit deer. yeah its got light antlers and some weird configurations that might resemble a pen deer but look at those southern deer, lots of real white antlers and weird antler growth. I agree that put up against some of the other record book deer with larger mass and width I would probably shoot the other deer over this one. Regardless its a heck of a buck and one we would all love to hang on our walls.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
I'm afraid we live in a world now where a picture of a dead deer and the hunters word are not good enough for people to believe the story. Seems like we have to have multiple trail cams and sheds from a buck before we will believe a legitimate story on a big deer. In reality though most record book big deer are killed out of luck, right place at the right time. Just because the guy doesn't have the sheds from the last 6 years or millions of trail cam photos doesnt make it a legit deer. yeah its got light antlers and some weird configurations that might resemble a pen deer but look at those southern deer, lots of real white antlers and weird antler growth. I agree that put up against some of the other record book deer with larger mass and width I would probably shoot the other deer over this one. Regardless its a heck of a buck and one we would all love to hang on our walls.
I'm afraid we live in a world now where not everyone is on the up and up, there are always those that will go to great lengths to do what ever it takes to break records or just shoot big animals for that matter.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Typically, they're fed lots of supplements to promote antler growth. Resulting in deer with un-natural antler growth...

*BTW - all I did was Google "pen raised deer"...

My point is that just because its a big deer it doesn't mean it was from a farm. There are hundreds of deer that have went over 200" in the wild. It seams like evey time a big deer is shot there is just hords of jealously and mud slinging. Then that goes ten fold when its a potential world record. I am sure if there is anything fishy about it boone and crocket would get to the bottom of it. So until they say other wise i say congrats to that luck bugger!
Old 01-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Sure does look pen raised.

Either way.... just doesn't do it for me. I dunno why.
I'm with you. It looks like a test tube deer. Something really unnatural. Not really majestic looking like a big racked typical. Having said that, I'd crap my pants if I shot it. Then I'd sell the rack.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
It may have been a pen raised deer that was let out of the pen to be shot as a free range deer. One will never know thou will they. Either way still an impressive deer.
Another unfortunate side effect of raising wild animals in captivity, and screwing with nature by feeding them supplements and hormones. Going forward, this question will always be raised any time a big deer is shot in a jurisdiction that allows game farming.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:04 PM

Food plot fed deer shouldn't count just like baited deer. Hardly free range or fair chase. Yes that should include Sask deer taken over bait. Like fish in a barrel.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:16 PM

The wonders of growth hormone. Kind of feels like cheating ...
Old 01-16-2017, 05:21 AM
Banned

All the talk of genetically altered deer or a product of supplements is unfounded. What about Broder's Chip Lake buck? How many deer farms or food plots do you figure we're around in 1926? The deer in all likelihood could very well be a natural phenomenon. As far as shooting a deer over a bait pile goes, I agree it makes killing a big buck a heck of a lot easier, but that sort of thing is legal in some areas, and if it's legal, unfortunately Boone and Crockett see it as "fair chase", so there's no use in arguing over that point. They are pretty sticky over the legalities of what goes on the books, I'm sure especially when it's a new world record.

The guy is a lucky guy and killed the buck of a lifetime, if you don't like it, well, we live in Alberta so there's a chance you can beat it!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
The wonders of growth hormone. Kind of feels like cheating ...
Kinda like the weight room with all the juice monkeys walking around...

Now regarding this pen of freaks, if one gets out and comes by my tree stand I am all right with that...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-16-2017, 09:27 AM

I say congrats to the lucky hunter. And he's not afraid to hunt with a single shot. I hope this will get more guy's and gal's out hunting making the big smoke. This should be a really big boost to the muzzleloader hunting community.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I say congrats to the lucky hunter. And he's not afraid to hunt with a single shot. I hope this will get more guy's and gal's out hunting making the big smoke. This should be a really big boost to the muzzleloader hunting community.
A primitive weapons season is the main motivator to get folks hunting with muzzle loaders. I'm guessing that's the case with this deer also.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-16-2017, 12:23 PM

Can not a muzzle loader be hunted with in the rifle season?
Old 01-16-2017, 06:43 PM

Default Deer

If i was a natural wild deer with huge antlers in velvet, you would not see it`s ribs. May see ribs in a hard horned after the rut deer.