Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Default What temp sleeping bag for 3 season backcountry

I'm gearing up for backcountry camping during scouting and hunting, and wondering what people go with for a 3-season sleeping bag.

I'll prob run a cheap tent for awhile then go to a light/ultralight tipi or tarp from Kifaru or titanium goat, etc. But right now I'm wondering approximately what temp range would be most useful in Summer and Fall. Maybe something in the range of 0c to -7c?
Old 01-18-2017, 04:06 PM

For hike in fishing trips I was using a -9 bag for 4 years and never had a problem. I also use a therma-rest under it as well though and actually makes a big difference. I did get a new -20 bag that was lighter actually so I'll be using that from now on and just open it up if I get too hot.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:24 PM

I started with a -20 bag from MEC, I found it was a too heavy, too warm and switched to a -7 mountain hardware bag that packs smaller, is lighter and has been good even when the snow is flying at alpine or higher. My tent is a two person msr hubba hubba, I like to bringing my pack inside and the extra room is nice on those socked in days or for when the dog comes for a trip.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
For hike in fishing trips I was using a -9 bag for 4 years and never had a problem. I also use a therma-rest under it as well though and actually makes a big difference. I did get a new -20 bag that was lighter actually so I'll be using that from now on and just open it up if I get too hot.
I've got a -12 down bag, I use it with a thermarest and that will take me into November quite comfortably. In the winter I put it inside another bag rated to -5, and that will take me down to -30 pretty comfortably. I use a Eurika Timberline for canoe trips, and this is my lightweight rig. In the summer I rig it a little different with mosquito net. Its taken me down to -28.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 PM

I love it!

Thanks for the info so far. Very helpful.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:14 PM

I've run a bomber synthetic -18 L.L. Bean, didn't mind its bulk and weight, never had a cold night up to -20/25. Switched to a down marmot -9, not overly impressed, lots of cold spots (down compressing off to the sides) and have had many cold nights in -10. I wouldn't push it beyond-5/10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 06:16 PM

I use a -7 with a thermarest for three season. No bag will be warm without a pad since you are crushing the insulation under you. Just remember there is no actual standard for sleeping bag ratings so the bags from reputable companies will actually perform to their rating. Most others will not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2017, 09:13 PM

I use a big agnes, moon hill down bag 0 degrees( -17 C), with exped down pad, all I can say is toasty warm
Old 01-18-2017, 09:16 PM

I purchased the kuiu bag this year. Good for -18 I will see how warm it keeps me. I had a -7 mec bag and have been good a few times in the last couple of years.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
I'm gearing up for backcountry camping during scouting and hunting, and wondering what people go with for a 3-season sleeping bag.

I'll prob run a cheap tent for awhile then go to a light/ultralight tipi or tarp from Kifaru or titanium goat, etc. But right now I'm wondering approximately what temp range would be most useful in Summer and Fall. Maybe something in the range of 0c to -7c?
Something around the -7 range is good there. Might be a bit unzipped on some summer nights but you can add a liner to it and bump the rating if you encounter cold conditions.

Your choice of sleeping pad will make a difference too. Any time I've gotten cold in a sleeping bag, its my back that gets cold first.

Check out Seek Outside for lightweight shelters - I think they're a better product than Kifaru or TG, at least the tipis are.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:51 AM

I have a -18 Northface. I would not go any lighter. We have woke up to a foot of snow and -10 in Oct and it could get alot colder, in the mountains the wind is always blowing or a cold rain- drizzle and its nice to be warm. But if your a fair weather hunter and watch the weather forecast a -7 bag may work.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:04 AM

For a full three season bag -7 or -9C is my choice. For the summer (June - Sept) I use a 0C bag. As others have stated the sleeping mat is just as important as the sleeping bag. I use either a Thermarest or Exped matt (the Exped is really comfortable little bulky though).
Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 AM

There are a lot of other things that determine what keeps you warm at night like ,what you eat before bed, what you sleep in and just wether you are "warm or cold" sleeper

As already stated, sleeping pad is a must!
Other then that I would buy a -9 to -20 for September/October camping/hunting in Alberta.

Personally I like a warmer bag and I would pay more to keep it light and packable.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM

Great responses. Thank you!

Have you seen a difference in down vs. synthetic? Or mostly in the quality of the bag/manufacturer?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
...Maybe something in the range of 0c to -7c?
Back when I would be in the bush for a day or two I found those temperature ranges to be the toughest but then I spent more time at -35 to -45 than around 0. My worst hypothermia event was at those temperatures so I think of them as more dangerous than colder or warmer temps.

One option, which was my preferred, was no sleeping bag at all. It was the easiest when snowshoeing or walking but even if I had a ski-doo I traveled light as I might be walking back. No bag means you sleep in your clothes. Takes a while to get the right set up, have to spend a few nights sleeping in the yard, during storms and the worst conditions expected to figure out what works but once figured out it can be very handy. Gore-Tex and modern fabrics help a lot. If you travel light that might be an option.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Default try modular surplus bags

I picked up a US military bag good down to -40 from Fort Bragg's surplus website. Crown Surplus in Calgary carries the same bag but charged almost $200 more than what I paid - though I got mine when our dollar was a lot better.
Like the others have said though it's down to preference and functionality for your situation and weather patterns you're anticipating, weight limitations etc.
Good luck, hope you find something that works for you
Old 01-20-2017, 05:06 AM

Default Always Warm

I use a -7 C Feathered Friends bag that has a water proof outer. Very light and matched up with a Exped Downmat 7 I am warm in those seasons. I typically sleep in light long under wear and shirt. I always have a touque nearby in the fall.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 AM

Jayquiver has got it right! How full your belly is with good steak etc, your personal metabolism, the tent, are you off the ground etc all determine the sleeping bag required. Then if you have a cute partner to snuggle you can go way down in temperature rating. It is all in the quality of the "Bag"
Old 01-20-2017, 10:34 AM

As others have already stated, error on the warm side. Sleeping bag ratings are like tent sizes and they always under-deliver (at least in terms of comfort).

One thing I would add, is that for 3 season your best bet is a synthetic bag. Down is great for compressibility, but if it gets wet it is essentially useless. Synthetic will still perform when wet, so for safety reasons it is the way to go for a back-country three season bag. For winter use, down is fantastic.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Great responses. Thank you!

Have you seen a difference in down vs. synthetic? Or mostly in the quality of the bag/manufacturer?
Biggest differences are weight to warmth ratio, Ability to insulate when damp, and price.

You will get a lighter more compressible sleeping bag if you go Down over Synthetic. This will have the trade off of a higher Dollar value. If you think your bag may get wet at some point, the synthetic will be better as it still has some insulation once wet where down does not. I have both synthetic and down bags and as long as they are a quality sleeping bag either will work just fine.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Then if you have a cute partner to snuggle you can go way down in temperature rating.
Sure does work wonders for the cold!

http://www.letscampinstyle.com/wp-co...an-in-tent.jpg
Old 01-22-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Sure does work wonders for the cold!

http://www.letscampinstyle.com/wp-co...an-in-tent.jpg
Now that looks cozy.

To the OP's question...
For a 3 season bag get a light bag rated for -5. Then have an optional flannel liner for the bag for cooler weather. The less you wear in a sleeping bag the more efficient a sleeping bag becomes. If buying a new bag be sure to check that the sleeping bag zipper has a overlapping flaps that cover the zipper inside when zipped up. Without zipper covers, zippers can be a source of cold air in a bag.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-22-2017, 10:53 AM

Default Sleeping bag.

Look up Mountain hardware. They have a fantastic down bag on for half price. excellent features and value. Its filled with a treated down to resist moisture. I love mine. Like the Sea to summit liner as well to ward off real cold nights.
BBD
Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 PM

I use a -7 rated bag.... anything in that range down to -12 or so seems to work fine. But not all bags are made equal (even if they are rated the same). I find down warmer than synthetic for the same temperature rating. I have returned to down exclusively, haven't ever had issues with it getting soaked or wet (double bag in pack and use a proper shelter).

Some guys "sleep warmer" than others, shelter and type of sleeping pad are other factors. Buy a bag from MEC... their guarantee is great, you can return it after a weekend if it didn't work to your liking.

Last edited by Jadham; 01-22-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:35 PM

-7 to -9 is the typical recommendation for that kind of camping. As others have said many many factors contribute to a comfortable sleep when out and about: sleeping pads, level of hydration and fatigue, type of shelter, under clothes, dampness of underclothes.

For example: dry, well-fed, well-hydrated, on a good pad, in a tent, a -7C bag will take you below -15C with some comfort.

Also: really damp long johns from hiking, tired, hungry, tarp shelter, -9C bag = cold and not very good sleep at -10C temps.

For most people, the big "winter bags" are really heavy and bulky and have to be explicitly needed before they are purchased and used for real winter camping. In almost all Alberta 3-season camping situations I would recommend down if you can afford it (backed up with the ability to make a fire if the SHTF.)

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM

I've been using the Eberlestock bags for a few years and I'm a huge fan. I used the Reville in November during a 4 day hunt where temps hit -15C and I was toasty the entire night. I tested it a few weeks ago when it was -32 in my town and with a single layer of merino wool on I was comfortable enough to sleep (in all honesty it wasn't super pleasant, but it was survivable)

They use Carinthia G-Loft Synthetic Insulation and it works stupidly well for the weight.

http://eberlestock.com/Sleeping%20Bags.htm
Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
I use a -7 rated bag.... anything in that range down to -12 or so seems to work fine. But not all bags are made equal (even if they are rated the same). I find down warmer than synthetic for the same temperature rating. I have returned to down exclusively, haven't ever had issues with it getting soaked or wet (double bag in pack and use a proper shelter).

Some guys "sleep warmer" than others, shelter and type of sleeping pad are other factors. Buy a bag from MEC... their guarantee is great, you can return it after a weekend if it didn't work to your liking.
I agree with your opinion that down performs better than synthetic. I do however, like when there is synthetic on the underside of the bag. I use a MEC Phoenix Hybrid -12. Its down on the front and synthetic on the back - synthetic doesn't seem to lose its warmth when packed underneath a person. True its heavier than pure down, but a good combo.

Any time I need more warmth, I don't buy new bags, the following always works:

*Put a toque on - amazing the difference this makes
*Put a wool long sleeve shirt on
*Use a neck warmer - acts like another baffle in a mummy bag
*Put on wool socks
*Put a liner in the bag
*Heat up a hot water bottle or tightly shut nalgene and put in in the bottom of your bag

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:21 AM

I see there is a lot of replys here already but here is my advice from over a decade of back country camping mostly during the summer and fall.

A get a good mat it makes a big difference in being cold especially in places like parks where you can't cut and make a pinebow bed.

As far as sleeping bags go my advice is go with a reputable brand but buy the one that fits your height the best I have always found a bag that is too big has a tendency to get cold spots. As far as temp I'd go for a 0C to -7C bag and if you are gonna be a ultra light guy probably stick to a 0C cause you can get those in under a pound.

As far as my favorite brand I like the Montbell sleeping bags I think they are really nice well made bags. I think the re-brand for Seirra Designs too.