Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2017, 10:00 PM

Default Crayfish Hunting

Hey folks. So I know many of the southern waters here are infested with crayfish. Ive managed to pull a couple up whenever they latch on to my minnow. I do keep them and they taste awesome. Clean water and some old bay seasoning.

Does anyone know a way that I can actually catch myself a bucket or two full? Never seriously thought about it but sure would save me a trip down to the southern u.s.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 01:47 AM

Bought 2 Craw traps at a Walmart in Idaho a while back used them last year at Travers...chunk of Salmon in each, tossed them in around dinner time picked em up around noon the next day stuffed with the little critters! Didn't keep any most were kinda smallish compared to the ones I've seen down south but pretty cool. Not crystal clear on the REGS...this is Alberta, probably get tossed in the slammer for even talking about it...
Old 01-16-2017, 06:39 AM

We just set a line on the bottom with a piece of hotdog/sausage on it. Check it every 5-10 min. Bucket films up fast.

Fun watching the kids do it

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 01-16-2017, 07:16 AM

Default search "crayfish"

on here when you get a chance
lots of threads & tons of info for you to read

Orv.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Caryfish is an invasive species here, so the more you kill, the better for the native aquatic ecology. This is confirmed by fishing officer.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM

We used to go out at night with a flash light in the shallow gravel areas and catch tons. A friend's father used to love eating them and we would fill a pail in no time.
A crayfish trap left in overnight is probably the easiest answer.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangpeishen View Post
Caryfish is an invasive species here, so the more you kill, the better for the native aquatic ecology. This is confirmed by fishing officer.
Actually, crayfish are not considered an invasive species because they are native to the Beaver River system in Alberta.

No crayfish traps allowed in Alberta.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 AM

I would love to try and catch a few of these little buggers. Does anyone know if they are in crawling valley? Can you catch them through the ice?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Actually, crayfish are not considered an invasive species because they are native to the Beaver River system in Alberta.

No crayfish traps allowed in Alberta.
From the regs:

Crayfish

Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.
Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:07 PM

I know standard minnow traps with a wider opening works. Bait in the middle.

http://www.fishing-tips-bait-tackle....nnow_trap.html

Watch the regs. Don't transport live.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-16-2017, 03:52 PM
AO Sponsor

People go catching them in Nose Creek around Airdrie like crazy! Just flipping rocks and grabbing them. A buddy of mine caught well over 100 of them in a couple hours. Be careful though because it is illegal to transport them alive and you are supposed to kill them right away...
Old 01-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default Crayfish Hunting

There are a lot of crayfish in Cardiff pond not far from Onaway. Very pretty pond and fun for children.
I like the minnow trap idea but something tells me it is to logical to be legal. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
There are a lot of crayfish in Cardiff pond not far from Onaway. Very pretty pond and fun for children.
I like the minnow trap idea but something tells me it is to logical to be legal. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From Onoway? Or by Morinville? Is there two of those...

https://bit.ly/2RNVTKm
Old 01-16-2017, 04:52 PM

i went into the calgary wildlife office on 12st ne and inquired about using traps, they told me traps are not allowed because from an officers point of view the trap is owned by who ever's tag is on it, and if the cray fish are obviously still alive in the traps then theoretically you are in procession of the live crayfish. there is no evidence to support if you say you are going to eat them cause it would be your word against theirs. they could say who ever is on the tag could possibly toss them into another water body but again its your word against theirs and its such a hassle. i also wish i could set traps for them but now i just do it the old fashion way roll up the pant legs and flip rocks with a snorkel if need be. if you talk to a few CO's you will also notice the interpretation is also different.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
i went into the calgary wildlife office on 12st ne and inquired about using traps, they told me traps are not allowed because from an officers point of view the trap is owned by who ever's tag is on it, and if the cray fish are obviously still alive in the traps then theoretically you are in procession of the live crayfish. there is no evidence to support if you say you are going to eat them cause it would be your word against theirs. they could say who ever is on the tag could possibly toss them into another water body but again its your word against theirs and its such a hassle. i also wish i could set traps for them but now i just do it the old fashion way roll up the pant legs and flip rocks with a snorkel if need be. if you talk to a few CO's you will also notice the interpretation is also different.
like one other poster said before. what happens if they get into
your minnow trap??? wink wink.
we went out at night at Macgregor & picked them up with long bbq tongs
no hand grabbing for this guy. see some of those pinchers? lol

Orv.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:13 PM

yeah i was also told about that if your intentions are to catch minnows then its ok if a few crayfish got in but its such a gray area to deal with. for me i use my hands but wear a pair of thick neoprene gloves and a small net. i find the small ones seem to pinch harder then the larger ones. lol
Old 01-16-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post
like one other poster said before. what happens if they get into
your minnow trap??? wink wink.
we went out at night at Macgregor & picked them up with long bbq tongs
no hand grabbing for this guy. see some of those pinchers? lol

Orv.
Ok. Sounds like a good time. What kind of bottom or shoreline should I be looking at? Certain depths?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
How is a legal minnow trap that happens to catch crayfish illegal if upon lifting it out of the water that you snap their heads off and put the tails in a bucket?

By your definition just picking one out of the water and holding it in your hand can suggest you may release it elsewhere.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Default Crayfish are fast

Trick to catching crayfish is to place a fish carcass of oily chunk of
Chicken back on the bottom of the creek or lake within reach. Use a forked stick to pin them to the bottom so you can grab them with your hand.

Other traps that would work would be clam traps. Works for crabs off docks in Bc
Old 01-16-2017, 05:25 PM

Default Fishing regs

What it says.

Crayfish cannot be used as bait. It is unlawful to possess live crayfish.

Crayfish

Crayfish are native to the Beaver River system. However, they appear to have been illegally introduced into many Alberta waters and may be adversely affecting aquatic ecosystems.
Some people have expressed a desire to consume crayfish. In all waters other than the Beaver River, people may catch crayfish for consumption. Legal capture methods include angling (sportfishing regulations apply) or catching them by hand. No licence is required to capture crayfish by hand. The retention and transport of live crayfish is illegal and all retained crayfish must be immediately killed to prevent the spread of this species. Please help prevent the spread of invasive species.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:26 PM

Why can't you use a trap for crayfish other than in the Beaver System? I think F&W could rethink that.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:49 PM

i think its because the trap is lets say yours and its holding and keeping the crayfish alive till you process them. but thats where it confuses me is when people catch crayfish by hand for instance. they have a bucket full and go back to camp to cook them off. would that be ok? or would you have to literally catch them kill them then put them into the bucket?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:18 PM

I set two crayfish (minnow) traps with marker buoys in Newell last year & F&W removed & confiscated both of them so I wont be trying that again!
Old 01-17-2017, 12:07 AM
Banned

The reading comprehension on this site amazes me sometimes. It's literally spelt out in the regs. You can not catch crayfish for consumption in the beaver river period.

re·ten·tion/rəˈten(t)SH(ə)n/
noun

the continued possession, use, or control of something.

If you retain a crayfish ie put it in a bucket and don't kill it first you are in possession of live crayfish and are breaking the law.

This is about as black and white as it gets.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
I set two crayfish (minnow) traps with marker buoys in Newell last year & F&W removed & confiscated both of them so I wont be trying that again!
any explanation why they kept them
Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 PM

Default Crayfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
The reading comprehension on this site amazes me sometimes. It's literally spelt out in the regs. You can not catch crayfish for consumption in the beaver river period.

re·ten·tion/rəˈten(t)SH(ə)n/
noun

the continued possession, use, or control of something.

If you retain a crayfish ie put it in a bucket and don't kill it first you are in possession of live crayfish and are breaking the law.

This is about as black and white as it gets.
Kinda splitting hairs here aren't we, pull your minnow trap with live minnows now you are in possession of live bait which is also against the law. It is up to each individual to make sure that the bait or crayfish are dead before transporting from said location. Nobody said they wanted to catch or trap crayfish from the Beaver river system, mostly southern reservoirs and maybe have a snack of crayfish, which will sometimes be caught in minnow traps.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony5 View Post
Kinda splitting hairs here aren't we, pull your minnow trap with live minnows now you are in possession of live bait which is also against the law. It is up to each individual to make sure that the bait or crayfish are dead before transporting from said location. Nobody said they wanted to catch or trap crayfish from the Beaver river system, mostly southern reservoirs and maybe have a snack of crayfish, which will sometimes be caught in minnow traps.
Precisely.

Or having a sturgeon on your line.

A garbage response from F&W.

Considering the introduction of these crayfish appears to be part of an authorized Government stocking effort, they sure are getting their panties in a knot over the public harvesting their mistake.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 01-18-2017, 02:19 AM
Banned

I'm not arguing if the law makes sense or not. But the difference is that it explicitly says in the regs that you can use a trap for minnows and any minnows you keep (from the trap) must be killed immediately. It also explicitly state what collection methods are allowed for crayfish. I have no skin in the game so do what you like but to say the regs aren't clear just isn't true.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:40 AM

Default ESRD Response

Five years ago I was also confused with the regulations in regards to the use of minnow traps for catching crayfish. Below is what ESRD replied :

Hello Alexey,

Thank you for contacting the Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development Information Centre.

It is legal to catch crayfish by hand or by using hook and line, except in the Beaver River and it's tributaries, as explained on page 22 of the Alberta Guide to Sportfishing under the heading "Crayfish". Crayfish may also be captured by the use of a trap provided the trap does not capture fish (including bait fish); if the trap resembles a minnow trap and could capture bait fish also, it must follow the requirements on page 22 under "Collecting Bait Fish". In short, a trap that may catch bait fish and crayfish both must not exceed the dimensions of a legal minnow trap and must be marked as noted.

Any crayfish caught must be killed without delay as crayfish cannot be possessed live."
Old 01-27-2017, 07:33 AM

Minnow trap baited with fish guts put in beaver river, newel lake, mcgregor and travers.(newel have bigger ones)