Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2016, 09:37 AM

If you are not to lazy you can skin out elk in 20 minutes by yourself, quarter it and throw in back of truck. Even in cold weather elk is nice and warm on hands and cools meat down, much better meat quality.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If you are not to lazy you can skin out elk in 20 minutes by yourself, quarter it and throw in back of truck. Even in cold weather elk is nice and warm on hands and cools meat down, much better meat quality.
Oh, It's because we are lazy that we don't want to skin and quarter a large animal when it is lying on the ground in the wind and cold. Gotcha.

I think I must be incompetent as well, because even with the elk hanging in my shop with power tools for cutting I can't get it skinned and quartered in 20 minutes.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@G View Post
Finishing touches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very cool idea!! Good call on using a snatch block too!

If I might suggest something it would be to have longer leads with alligator clamps and just use your main battery! This would prevent the need for keeping a charged battery and hauling it around and from the battery from getting stolen. I would also suggest a good way to keep that secure as theft has been a major issue.
I might also suggest from using the quad ramps ....they work in a pinch but that winch will really be working best thing would be a couple 2x4 with a hinge on each and a 1/2 piece of plywood 3 feet wide. folded size would be 3x3 and 3x6 when open.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 AM

Default Load up winch

I have a 7 pin connector mounted in the box of my truck for my fifth wheel, i wired up a connector that will maintain a 12 volt supply to the battery. I also have a cable lock ran through the hitch rails to deter theft. I will be throwing together some sort of ramp that folds like Mike_W suggested. I like the folding idea.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
Cool project and good craftsmanship.

Have to ask though what is with people's fascination with taking a carcass home whole?

Quarter it cut out the good stuff, cut off trim and done. Take a deer whole but anything bigger don't get it.

Because it keeps your animal clean.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouty View Post
Cool project and good craftsmanship.

Have to ask though what is with people's fascination with taking a carcass home whole?

Quarter it cut out the good stuff, cut off trim and done. Take a deer whole but anything bigger don't get it.
My guess would be that you never quartered an animal in minus 30!
Why don't you quarter your deer?
Old 12-12-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M@G View Post
I have a 7 pin connector mounted in the box of my truck for my fifth wheel, i wired up a connector that will maintain a 12 volt supply to the battery. I also have a cable lock ran through the hitch rails to deter theft. I will be throwing together some sort of ramp that folds like Mike_W suggested. I like the folding idea.

Nice idea with the 7 pin as long as the wires are large enough to supply sufficient current to operate under load that would be slick!
Old 12-12-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
My guess would be that you never quartered an animal in minus 30!
Why don't you quarter your deer?
I have quartered at -30 and it's not bad. The animal is clean cause there is snow usually. I like the winch idea but would not do it myself because I would just quarter it where it fell and I don't have room in my garage for more contraptions😊
Old 12-12-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Work smart not hard.

I wouldn't trade my winch for anything.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:35 PM

Here is how I have my game winch mounted. It is on a 2" receiver with locking pin . I use quick connects for the power, same as the Big winch uses , and a wireless remote. 3500# Champion.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:30 PM

Default Moose winch

Here's mine, crude but very effective.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:06 PM

Effective is what counts .

I never needed to use a snatch block, even with the 2000# winch it never slowed down. Mounting the winch high makes the load come in easier.
Old 12-14-2016, 06:19 PM

Default abilities

Gosh it would have been nice to have been born with some mechanical abilities.....LOL
Old 12-14-2016, 06:55 PM

I put a winch in my box last year after getting drawn for suffield. Fairly similar idea where it slides into the fifth wheel rails. I put a pigtail on one of my trucks batteries with half an Anderson plug that lives under there. The winch has enough cable to reach up to that battery and has the other half of Anderson plug on those two cables. I just have to pop the hood and plug in that Anderson plug and I'm away to the races.

I grew up with an old man and uncle who were very particular about what they would eat. To this day their wild game and fish are as good of table fare as one could have. They both brought the animal out whole when able then hung, skinned and washed the carcass before letting it hang/age. I never hunted around many other people so I thought that was "normal".
Last year was my first year hunting wainwright and I saw stuff I couldn't believe. Guys showing up at the check station with animals skinned and quartered, thrown in the back of their dirty truck with nothing under or over the meat. Dirt, dust, leaves, hair and blood on everything. I saw about six guys with their truck next to a bull moose on the ground and instead of loading him and taking him somewhere smart to skin and handle the meat they were boning him out on the ground, same story with blood, hair and leaves all through the meat. I saw similar things this year and now have a fairly good idea why a lot of people think wild game isn't as good as commercial beef.

So you ask why I take my animal home whole? Because I won't compromise my years red meat supply and I'm set up to handle whole animals. I've loaded around a dozen whole elk by hand, by myself but a winch makes it much easier.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 12-14-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Gosh it would have been nice to have been born with some mechanical abilities.....LOL
Mounts can be very simple. I have my first mount I made still.It is a 2x2 angle sitting on the box rail with the angle hanging between the box and the cab. It has a couple 1/4" bolts thru the box rail holding it from moving, and a couple 2 foot 2x2 angles going down the sides of the box on the top. These are bolted down with big washers under the box rail . You could use topper clamps or C clamps here too. It has a pad for mounting a 2000# winch on it at the height of the box top.
It worked great for many years and trucks. Fits a 4 foot wide box.

By making it with the angle hanging between the box and cab the load is spread across the full width of the box. I never bent a box with it and loaded big animals and winched out some big logs for firewood.

If you are near the north side of Edmonton/Bonaccord you can have it. It isn't pretty but it works just fine.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:43 PM

YOU COULD always put quarters in game bags Ihave been doing it for years and have been told that my meat care is exceptional just saying theres more than one way to skin a cat or elk ,
Old 12-16-2016, 09:25 AM

Have you ever heard of a $8 poly tarp from Canadian Tire. You will be surprised how clean your quarters of meat will be in back of truck.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:12 AM

This is what I built. Hardwired to truck battery. Have used to winch a Harley stuck in the mud onto a trailer, move a 1300 pound rock, load a 300 gal air compressor unassisted, load a cast iron claw foot tub. No opportunity to use on an elk yet which was the inspiration to build it. The box conveyor ramp is sweet.

Looper

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looper View Post

This is what I built. Hardwired to truck battery. Have used to winch a Harley stuck in the mud onto a trailer, move a 1300 pound rock, load a 300 gal air compressor unassisted, load a cast iron claw foot tub. No opportunity to use on an elk yet which was the inspiration to build it. The box conveyor ramp is sweet.

Looper

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

That's real nice! I like the simplicity of the turnbuckle set up. nice and clean with lots of room in the box too!
Old 12-16-2016, 02:10 PM

FWIW
Have you ever watched a professional butcher slaughter beef?
Handled whole, hung, then skinned before being gutted. Meat Is spotless as it should be.

Nice job on the winch mount.
I prefer to load mine whole whenever possible

Old 12-17-2016, 04:19 PM

Some mount ideas here!

And as far as taking it out whole, in my opinion there is no better option if you can do it. It's the cleanest way to handle meat.

But I guess that makes me a road hunter.. Even though I've never hunted from a road..
Old 12-17-2016, 04:25 PM

I'm not sure how you hunt but I choose where I shoot stuff. Between a jeep, chainsaw, winch and a couple hundred feet of rope there isn't much country I can't recover an animal from in one place. When I'm hunting I decide where I'm willing to chase them into and or where to shoot them. I simply don't go 10 miles back in the mountains for an elk or moose because I don't have horses. Deer aren't a problem, I just use the gutless method and throw them in my pack. For the big stuff I hunt country I can recover them from on my terms. It's not hard to call them out of the tough stuff or whack them on a cutline or in a field instead of following them into the blow downs.

Once you learn how to hunt smarter instead of harder you'll be able to do the same. If you never get there, that old saying "if your going to be dumb you better be tough" comes to mind.

All that said the whole post is juvenile. There's no "one size fits all" approach to animal recovery. Just because I have a preferred method of recovery doesn't mean it'll work every time. There are times they get cut in half, times they come out in a jeep, sometimes in a truck, maybe in a calf sled or drug behind a snow machine or quad. Given the choice though, they're coming out in as few pieces as possible and with the hide on.
Like I mentioned in my first post. I watched a half dozen guys bone out a moose on the ground beside their truck and had it covered in grass, leaves, dirt, hair and blood. IMO that's not smart when it's easy enough to load them in the truck and take them home. If a guy wants to use a winch to minimize the heavy lifting that's even smarter.

Last edited by lilsundance; 12-17-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:05 PM

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2016, 05:06 PM

Shot no where near a road.Big fella came out in halves

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-19-2016, 06:22 AM

I have a 8000 warn that hooks up to my truck hitch. A 2000 warn that hooks to my headache rack in the back of my truck. I can't seem to load picks. There is no one way to skin a dang critter. Everyone says my way is best...... so this Dec my wife and I harvested an anterless moose 1 hour before dark. Could not get the truck closers than 350m. I had the cable to reach but by the time I strung out that much cable through the bush I had it quartered with my Sawzall and hauled it hide down to my truck. If someone only shoots were they can get there truck into great. I have had moose picked up with a tractor and hung whole until I could skin it. Then quartered. It's great to leave the hide on to keep the meat clean.......until that one time your meat cooks under the hide because it can't cool properly. Ever had to throw away the front half of a bull moose? We did he was fighting a bull maybe a day before we shot him. Found out later due to his injuries. Never skinned him to keep clean. The heat combined with his injuries turned that meat real quick. I could smell it from the driveway as my buddy's were skinning it. I'll wash every ounce of meat I harvest before I see that much meat spoil again. As to the OP very nice set up. I never thought of a fifth wheel hitch set up. I will try and post some pics of my set up to give others some ideas from the computer tonight. Merry Christmas
Old 01-16-2017, 08:39 AM

Default Load up winch

https://vimeo.com/199678156

Elk down! Worked better than I expected.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:24 PM

This also bolts to my 5th wheel rails and comes apart in pieces in a matter of minutes...

Old 01-17-2017, 06:40 PM

Lots of great ideas here !!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:19 PM

Video link
https://vimeo.com/199943614
Old 02-16-2017, 08:20 PM

here is a good deal for a winch.
http://flyers.canadiantire.ca/flyers..._run_id=190328

It comes with a solenoid, so all you need is an amazon.ca wireless remote to make loading super easy.

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=winch+remote