Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2019, 08:24 AM

Default Need advice on a kicker motor

I'm getting a new 4 stroke kicker for my 17 ft sylvan. It is a choice between the 6 hp and 9.9. A factor for me is weight and the 6 hp is definitely lighter. However I hear the 6hp is notability noisy being a single cylinder. The noise is one thing that bothers in with my present 2 stroke kicker.

The kicker would be used when the electric bow mount is either dead or the wind is too much for the electric. Used for trolling or during an emergency.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:44 AM

I have a yammy 6hp and it's ok. My FIL has a 9.9 Merc and it is sooooo much quieter. I needed a light motor for my boat but if your boat can take the extra weight definately go 9.9
Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 AM

I have a 20ft lund that i picked up last spring and i ended up getting a new 4 stroke 9.9 installed for trolling for lakers. I chose this one because of my boat size and figured the extra little HP would be beneficial when trolling into the wind on Cold Lake. The disappointing thing was the motor never ran for the entire season as it wouldn't start and on my limited days off i didn't have the time to drive it back down into Edmonton to rainbow marine to have them look at it. I ended up taking it into my local shop in Cold Lake at the end of the season and they got it running(Hats off to them for their support!).

Now its a long wait till spring to finally get to use the thing!
Old 03-08-2019, 10:14 AM

I use a 8hp high thrust on my 26' 10,000lb+ ocean boat, why go 9.9 on a little 17' that weighs 1/5th of mine? It won't get you up on plane anyway and as long as you aren't fighting gale force winds you will be fine. All you will do is struggle more to move it around and use more fuel. Go with the 6.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-08-2019, 10:18 AM

I have the original Merc - Aha 9.9 four stroke. It is heavy, and is hard on the trolling motor bracket. I will have to upgrade to a new bracket for the 4 stroke weight and torque this year.

Having said that, I re powered some years ago with a 120 HP Johnson rebuild, that was done poorly. I came in on that 9.9 kicker a few times more than I liked. But I DID come in during heavy winds that a smaller engine would have struggled with.

Tournament Marine figured out that the carbs were set up wrong and were the wrong jetting in one instance, on the 120 main engine. I often can troll down with the 120 now!!!

All the same, get the 9.9 and get a STRONG kicker bracket if you are not doing a transom mount for the kicker. Depending on how you are set up, it might be a good idea to get the 20 inch shaft as well for the kicker.

Drewski
Old 03-08-2019, 11:33 AM

I’ve been thinking along the same lines as you and had the tohatsu 9.8hp catch my eye. It’s 88lb I believe and still a 2cyl. From what I was figuring it had the best HP to weight ratio and you can prop it to get it to be similar to the dedicated trolling motors. Have not seen one in action yet but something to maybe look at too.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I use a 8hp high thrust on my 26' 10,000lb+ ocean boat, why go 9.9 on a little 17' that weighs 1/5th of mine? It won't get you up on plane anyway and as long as you aren't fighting gale force winds you will be fine. All you will do is struggle more to move it around and use more fuel. Go with the 6.
X2. For a 17 ft a 4 HP would be enough I would think to you to hull speed.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:38 PM

I'm going to go against the grain here.

I run a 9.9 on my 19' lund and going with anything less seems to make no sense to me for the following reasons ....

1) The 9.9, at 91lbs on my boat, weighs maybe 20lbs more compared to the 6hp. My transom doesn't know the difference.

2) It's quieter.

3) They burn about the same amount for fuel for reasonable comparison (a smaller engine working harder or a bigger one at idle) - and if you argue the 6hp will burn less, how much we talking about? 12 cents an hour???? really???

4) The 9.9 pushes more amps back into the battery (at least my Honda does) compared to a 6 hp (or 8 hp) models do. If you are running radios, sonars and other things on board ....... that's a big deal.

5) The 9.9 come with an electric start, a backup pull start, power trim and power tilt - they also are able to be remote steered if you want - I'm not aware of any 6HP motors that have those features or have that flexibility. Backup pull start is also really nice because if your battery or batteries die, you manually pull start your 9.9, then run it for a minute and then key turn your big motor - that's a BIG deal too.

6) Thrust and boat control - no comparison when you are getting almost 50% more HP and almost double the thrust at idle. One windy day is all it will need to convince you to go to a bigger engine with better thrust instead of fighting with a smaller one.

7) It has a XL (extra long shaft) so it doesn't cavitate (come out of the water) on choppy days which is really hard on the gear box and impeller - not to mention impossible to control direction on days like those.

For me ......... there is no compelling reason whatsoever to under power (or put up with a shorter shaft) on a trolling motor AND still not have the convenience and EMERGENCY SAFETY features mentioned above.

Last edited by EZM; 03-08-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

I run a 9.9 on my 19' lund and going with anything less seems to make no sense to me for the following reasons ....

1) The 9.9, at 91lbs on my boat, weighs maybe 20lbs more compared to the 6hp. My transom doesn't know the difference.

2) It's quieter.

3) They burn about the same amount for fuel for reasonable comparison (a smaller engine working harder or a bigger one at idle) - and if you argue the 6hp will burn less, how much we talking about? 12 cents an hour???? really???

4) The 9.9 pushes more amps back into the battery (at least my Honda does) compared to a 6 hp (or 8 hp) models do. If you are running radios, sonars and other things on board ....... that's a big deal.

5) The 9.9 come with an electric start, a backup pull start, power trim and power tilt - they also are able to be remote steered if you want - I'm not aware of any 6HP motors that have those features or have that flexibility. Backup pull start is also really nice because if your battery or batteries die, you manually pull start your 9.9, then run it for a minute and then key turn your big motor - that's a BIG deal too.

6) Thrust and boat control - no comparison when you are getting almost 50% more HP and almost double the thrust at idle. One windy day is all it will need to convince you to go to a bigger engine with better thrust instead of fighting with a smaller one.

7) It has a XL (extra long shaft) so it doesn't cavitate (come out of the water) on choppy days which is really hard on the gear box and impeller - not to mention impossible to control direction on days like those.

For me ......... there is no compelling reason whatsoever to under power (or put up with a shorter shaft) on a trolling motor AND still not have the convenience and EMERGENCY SAFETY features mentioned above.
what he says X2
Old 03-08-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:

2) It's quieter.

X3
Old 03-09-2019, 08:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Spot on

Quote:

2) It's quieter.

Yup......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-09-2019, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the great advice. Next week is the boat show
Old 03-09-2019, 11:02 PM

Quote:

2) It's quieter.

x4

Also, if you ever decide to sell the kicker a 9.9 will have a larger market than a 6.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
x4

Also, if you ever decide to sell the kicker a 9.9 will have a larger market than a 6.
X5 I used the Yamay 9.9 with elec start and power tilt. A great option.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:18 AM

I have a 6 hp 4 stroke Merc long shaft on my 1650 crestliner. I have no complaints.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:

2) It's quieter.

Exactly! Kicker has saved my ***** more than once. Worth every $ and #