Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2018, 01:34 PM
Gone Hunting

Default Good guys.

I'm sitting here enjoying the sunshine. It's been kinda rare for a couple of weeks now.

I have been enjoying something else the past couple of days.
Fresh Deer sausage and Deer liver. And I didn't have to do much for it.

Yeah there are still some very nice people in the world.
See the couple that gave us this gift wanted to show their appreciation for my help, little as it was, in helping them with their first hunt in this area.

They are from down south, one of the mid sized cities and they came here looking for a place to hunt Elk. I don't remember how they came to contact me but they did. I spent the better part of one day showing them places where I have seen Elk. It was mid July three years ago. We even saw one Elk.

At the end of the day they bought my wife and I supper at a local restaurant. As far as I was concerned I was more then paid for my time.
I enjoyed the day immensely, so supper was icing on the cake.

Well they never got their Elk and they have been back each year since then. They have taken at least one Deer each year but no Elk, although they did get a shot at one, at least.

Each year at the end of their hunt, they call us and offer to buy us breakfast, which we always accept. I love to hear about their hunts, and just like their company in general.

This year they added a bit to their offer. Deer liver, they don't eat it and we do. After the traditional breakfast we went with them to the butchers to retrieve the liver. Out they come with a box. A box full of fresh Deer, cut and wrapped. Sausage, Ground Venison and Liver, I think there was even a couple of steaks in there.

As far as I am concerned they more then paid for my time that first year and I told them that, but they insisted that they wanted us to have this gift. So we accepted.

I wanted to post this because they reminded me of how it used to be among hunters. We shared. That is how everyone was.

We shared not just with friends and family. Or with hunting partners. We shared to show appreciation. We shared to help the community. We shared with those in need. We shared because it feels good to be able to share and it feels good to be appreciated.

And we didn't share just wild game. We shared from out gardens. We shared our time, we shared our knowledge. We shared our tools and sometimes some even shared their wives. LOL No not that way. The wives would offer to do laundry and such for folks who had been away from home for a while.

So lately I've been thinking about how that sharing built strong communities and strong relationships. How it drew people together. How it leveled the playing field for everyone.

I've been thinking about this because I see that way of interacting slowly disappearing.

Then something like this reminds me that it lives on in some, and I wanted to acknowledge the kindness offered to us by this lovely couple from down south.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-25-2018, 01:38 PM

Thumbs up

nice to hear
Old 11-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Banned

Nice to hear that one person doing a kind thing by letting hunters on is rewarded by appreciation and friendship.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:09 PM

Awesome !!

Dodger.