Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 PM

Default Sherburne

I see that SAWT is having a tourney at Sherburne in June? Does this mean that the lake will be open again this year? Any one have ny info? Haven’t heard anything from smrid about reopening the launch for the general public.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:18 PM

any other dates and locations for the sawt
Old 03-15-2018, 06:07 PM

All the dates are up on their Facebook page. End of may and then three in June. All Friday Saturday though. Not sure how that’s going to go over.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:50 PM

AYA not the regular guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell f View Post
I see that SAWT is having a tourney at Sherburne in June? Does this mean that the lake will be open again this year? Any one have ny info? Haven’t heard anything from smrid about reopening the launch for the general public.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:02 PM

I understand it’s the youth tourney. Original question is still relevant. Last I heard the launches are still closed account of a perceived threat of zebra mussels. Hard to fish that without a boat. Just curious that’s all.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:28 PM

They got a permit so unless they block them should be ok. Who knows down that way. If one mussle is found in any water I bet none of us will be launching anywhere down there any time soon.

Quote:
I understand it’s the youth tourney. Original question is still relevant. Last I heard the launches are still closed account of a perceived threat of zebra mussels. Hard to fish that without a boat. Just curious that’s all.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
They got a permit so unless they block them should be ok. Who knows down that way. If one mussle is found in any water I bet none of us will be launching anywhere down there any time soon.
Here's the new sign at the entrance to Sherburn.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 11:05 AM

WOW Now that is really stepping out of bounds imo Let's make this a member only lake and the rest even if their boats have been checked by the govt. stay off?

Seems like something more than fishy going on down there. Maybe what the SMRD should do is set up a trailer with a employee who charges a boat launch fee like a lot of other lakes as well as proof the boat has under gone an invasive inspection before anyone can launch. What is stopping the "MEMBER" from going to another lake and bringing back a mussle? The whole idea is for a select few who have obviously cooked up this idea of keeping everyone but their little group off the lake. BS for sure and it looks like the SMRD may just fall for it. What the ^%$^%$^ is it coming to.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
WOW Now that is really stepping out of bounds imo Let's make this a member only lake and the rest even if their boats have been checked by the govt. stay off?

Seems like something more than fishy going on down there. Maybe what the SMRD should do is set up a trailer with a employee who charges a boat launch fee like a lot of other lakes as well as proof the boat has under gone an invasive inspection before anyone can launch. What is stopping the "MEMBER" from going to another lake and bringing back a mussle? The whole idea is for a select few who have obviously cooked up this idea of keeping everyone but their little group off the lake. BS for sure and it looks like the SMRD may just fall for it. What the ^%$^%$^ is it coming to.
2x
Old 03-16-2018, 06:02 PM
Banned

I don’t even know where to start with this B S wow
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 PM

None of it makes sense. Private members club can’t work. As stated previously what stopping a key holder from going to the us or sask and then launching on Sherburne without inspection?
Why shut down the lake almost directly in the middle of the system? Nobody is monitoring st Mary’s, the ridge, Jensen, cross coulee, chin. All these lakes are all upstream from Sherburne. St. Mary’s is a far greater risk in my mind. Easier access access from the states and such.

I think it is just a knee jerk reaction because somebody thought that something had to be done but have no clue on what to do. Even the gov inspections can’t stop them all. There are no 24/7 365 boat inspections anywhere in Alberta.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Banned

Or at sweet grass and there is zebras in Tiber dam.
And as the crow flys it’s not far from sherburne
Eastern irrigation has done none of this
BRID has done nothing
Just St Mary’s
I’m starting to wonde about Terence Lazerath
Seems to have way to much power?????
Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 PM

Easy boys don't get so worked up over the powerhouse that is the SMRID... The local farming community will be along here on "AO" before to long to explain to You fellas that this is there water and SMRID built these reservoirs for irrigation and they can do what they want with it such as Irrigate highways, gravel roads, pound out 1000 gpm per pivot when the wind is howling 100kmh. As well as shut down a lake (sherburne) that is the 3rd last lake in the canal system, for fear of Zebra Mussels.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Oh yes I know who’s rain and snow melt it is to.
It’s everybody’s
Old 03-17-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
I heard they might allow a quick picture with length of fish. Release the fish, hand in camera to download pics. That kind of idea, just trying to make it difficult to cheat. Many ideas floating around. The lake will not be open !
Old 03-17-2018, 09:53 AM

I still don't understand why this is so important for Shurburne. I wouldn't exactly call it a destination fishery that people are coming from far and wide to fish. And there is no one monitoring any other lake on that system aside form Chin, but even there all that guy does is make sure that you pay your 5.00 launch fee. I definitely don't agree with only certain "members" being able to launch a boat, doesn't that essentially make it a private lake?
Old 03-17-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

Wes g
Nobody is checking any lakes it’s all Bs
I think the game plan is to wait for the inevitable zebra invasion then they can
Shut it all down
That way they can blame the bad fishermen
St Mary’s doesn’t like to share OUR water
I personally don’t fish sherburne so I don’t care but something is very strange
I do fish all the other lakes in the south.
Chin was unusable last summers for most of the year to low
St Mary’s the same
40 mile same
And yes I know it was a long hot dry summer but come on
And yes these reservoirs where built for irrigation but to me I see a lot mismanagement of water.lcan show u a pivot down here that sucks out of the river and never shuts down.
Look at what’s happened to Waterton no motor boats us fisherman are slowly being kicked out .
Old 03-17-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panko View Post
Wes g
Nobody is checking any lakes it’s all Bs
I think the game plan is to wait for the inevitable zebra invasion then they can
Shut it all down
That way they can blame the bad fishermen
St Mary’s doesn’t like to share OUR water
I personally don’t fish sherburne so I don’t care but something is very strange
I do fish all the other lakes in the south.
Chin was unusable last summers for most of the year to low
St Mary’s the same
40 mile same
And yes I know it was a long hot dry summer but come on
And yes these reservoirs where built for irrigation but to me I see a lot mismanagement of water.lcan show u a pivot down here that sucks out of the river and never shuts down.
Look at what’s happened to Waterton no motor boats us fisherman are slowly being kicked out .
I was checked pulling up to a lake a couple times last year in the south but it wasn't in the SMRID.

I fully understand that the lakes were built for irrigation first and foremost. But after last year, I think its absolutely ridiculous that the irrigation district can bleed the lakes dry while many of the fish stocks in them are on the brink of collapse and anglers just have to accept dwindling opportunities to retain fish.

I am pretty sure that closing a lake in a national park was a federal decision as well. Not that it really makes any sense either though!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM

Sounds like BS to me! If so will have to drag out the Belly Boat or buy my Pontoon boat back