Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2019, 07:51 AM

Default Calling Lake size, variety, and tactics

Was out again this weekend and some of us had fantastic action and some not.

We caught perch size walleye, which was great to see, right down to 6 inches??? Yes, they were aggressive! We also caught some 10 - 12 inch perch that were beautiful to say the least. Not many, but some.

What made the difference was to hook a small minnow horizontal on a chartreause Swedish pimple on two points of the treble through the back, lift it up as far as you can reach slowly from the bottom, then slowly descend it to the bottom, and repeat about 4 - 5 times.

Then flip it on the bottom a few times and lift it off the bottom a couple inches and hold. Then repeat.

The second you felt any pressure, and it is SUBTLE, give it a twitch. We fed a tub of minnows both days, but hooked plenty as well.

The fish are there, and will pick up the minnow, but these hits rarely where a crushing hit. They would pick it up in their mouth and hold it. sometimes if you let off the pressure they would then gulp it, but usually they were hooked on the jaw.

Again, lots of big fish in the 58 - 65 cm range, and more, as well a s plenty of small fish, but the keeper walleyes are there.

No Burbs caught this weekend but we are in deep water mid day, so that could explain it.

Drewski
Old 03-12-2019, 08:31 AM

Great info and post. Thanks!

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-12-2019, 06:35 PM

How’s it to get around do you need sleds??
Old 03-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Great techniques, glad to hear they worked!
Old 03-12-2019, 07:25 PM

I’m going to file this information away for future use. I won’t be back up this ice season but will be next ice season.

Drewski do you know if there are in accommodations to rent or motels at Calling Lake? My only venture there didn’t go past the PP.

BW
Old 03-13-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I’m going to file this information away for future use. I won’t be back up this ice season but will be next ice season.

Drewski do you know if there are in accommodations to rent or motels at Calling Lake? My only venture there didn’t go past the PP.

BW
Best to stay in Athabasca. There is a place at the Joe Cat store. I would not. Unless you knew of a cabin to rent. I don't know of any.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM

As for getting around, on the west side you can drive relatively easily last Sunday, but with the warmth and the melt, it will make things very sticky.

You will power out against wet snow and once you spin to the ice, it is really tough to get going again unless you have chains. I've been doing this too long!

Sled will be great as they stay on top. Expect it to be wet and slushy so wear insulated rubber boots. No fun standing in 6 inches of slush and fishing.

On the West side, there is some pretty deep snow and someone has got stuck pretty good by the Tower drive off.

As for accommodations, not much as Calvin said. You can see if Joe Cat's has a room but they may be booked up with crews. Not a bad place if you are used to a work camp, and nice reasonable people running it. The kitchen is pretty good service as well.

Only Liquor store in the area by the way, which is what it is known for. That is why you lock up your truck and tools when you stay there. Not your average liquor store layout. They buzz you in only a few at a time, and everything is well behind the counter, which is very high.

Northwestern had to twist the knife by sending me pictures from Monday afternoon of a beauty of an eye he caught. And then he kept texting telling me how they were still catching towards evening. Thanks Dave. Didn't get anything done at work after that! (Just kidding)

Drewski
Old 03-13-2019, 04:32 PM

I was with Drewski on the weekend and saw his methods in action.
His system seemed to work much better than anything the rest of us tried. Thanks Drewski for the great hospitality and look forward to meeting up there again one day.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
Best to stay in Athabasca. There is a place at the Joe Cat store. I would not. Unless you knew of a cabin to rent. I don't know of any.
Thanks for this. I’ll plan to stay in Athabasca or camp on the lake.

BW
Old 03-13-2019, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the very precise tactics lol
I’ll see everyone there this weekend
Nice job Drewski,
Old 03-13-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
Thanks for the very precise tactics lol
I’ll see everyone there this weekend
Nice job Drewski,
What is missing from this Board, is exactly what I posted: tips and techniques to help others out. Some on the Board are young and learning, some are experienced and are willing to help out.

You seem to think that sharing techniques is a bad thing. What is wrong in giving someone the opportunity to learn and be a better fisherman? Negative fish are not easy to catch.

Everyone will still have to go out, locate a spot, put in the work, and put in the time. This is not a Video Game where someone goes to the lake and starts whacking the fish at the flip of a switch.

I am willing to bet that this info will work on LSL, Smoke, Isogun, etc, etc, etc. If it helps someone salvage a tough day with negative fish, good.

As for yourself, you are welcome to just lurk on the Board and not share and not contribute to the community.

Drewski
Old 03-13-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
What is missing from this Board, is exactly what I posted: tips and techniques to help others out. Some on the Board are young and learning, some are experienced and are willing to help out.

You seem to think that sharing techniques is a bad thing. What is wrong in giving someone the opportunity to learn and be a better fisherman? Negative fish are not easy to catch.

Everyone will still have to go out, locate a spot, put in the work, and put in the time. This is not a Video Game where someone goes to the lake and starts whacking the fish at the flip of a switch.

I am willing to bet that this info will work on LSL, Smoke, Isogun, etc, etc, etc. If it helps someone salvage a tough day with negative fish, good.

As for yourself, you are welcome to just lurk on the Board and not share and not contribute to the community.

Drewski
Well you have a lot of catching up to do then, warm up that keyboard.

Btw feeding and aggression will change daily. Just because your very precise info worked for you yesterday, doesn’t mean it’ll work tomorrow. So you have a invalid point.
I can go back and read all your posts about fishing this lake and gather enough info to find exactly where you’re fishing. There’s a PM option for a reason.

Loose lips, sink ships.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
Well you have a lot of catching up to do then, warm up that keyboard.

Btw feeding and aggression will change daily. Just because your very precise info worked for you yesterday, doesn’t mean it’ll work tomorrow. So you have a invalid point.
I can go back and read all your posts about fishing this lake and gather enough info to find exactly where you’re fishing. There’s a PM option for a reason.

Loose lips, sink ships.
Because Calling lake is a big secret....give me a break. Good on ya Drewski.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:30 AM

Default Thanks Drewski

i for one would like to thank Drewski for the times i have asked a question about Calling Lake and you responded in a positive way. i have not asked on a public discussion of 'hot spotting' nor have you ever said anything like that in my observations. i have been on here for a long time and its the negative bashing such as finner has done here to limit any more decent helpful posts folks like Drewski provide. I'm not a very good knitter or fisherman so i suppose I'm out.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
i for one would like to thank Drewski for the times i have asked a question about Calling Lake and you responded in a positive way. i have not asked on a public discussion of 'hot spotting' nor have you ever said anything like that in my observations. i have been on here for a long time and its the negative bashing such as finner has done here to limit any more decent helpful posts folks like Drewski provide. I'm not a very good knitter or fisherman so i suppose I'm out.

Give all the tip and tactics you want, but why name the lake? That’s all I’m getting at. What ever happened to going out and figuring your own tactics out for yourself? What would we do without the internet?
End of my rant on this, just thought I’d voice my opinion.

See ya Saturday Drewski
Old 03-14-2019, 01:15 PM

Default Sir, you are awesome

Some share, some don't, it's all good. It's not like Calling is some secret, I even think there are signs on the highway on how to get there and someone (probably Liberals) built a campground there...it's almost as if the WANT you to find it.

Drewski chooses to share a technique that worked and may continue to work for the near future, others can benefit and the lake can handle this short-term pressure. As Finner points out this technique may stop working immediately ...if he's right the harm of sharing is moot.

If we can't share our success I think this board will quickly decay to posts about sports, weather and knitting (politics is definitely verboden)...is that really what we all want?

Share if you want, don't if you don't but calling each other down for their behavior is not beneficial.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Some share, some don't, it's all good. It's not like Calling is some secret, I even think there are signs on the highway on how to get there and someone (probably Liberals) built a campground there...it's almost as if the WANT you to find it.

Drewski chooses to share a technique that worked and may continue to work for the near future, others can benefit and the lake can handle this short-term pressure. As Finner points out this technique may stop working immediately ...if he's right the harm of sharing is moot.

If we can't share our success I think this board will quickly decay to posts about sports, weather and knitting (politics is definitely verboden)...is that really what we all want?

Share if you want, don't if you don't but calling each other down for their behavior is not beneficial.
All feelings aside LOL
this is spot on.

All good l, tight lines.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:42 AM

Thanks Baby Brother!!!

But I can STILL out fish you.

Just saying!!!

Drewski
Old 03-16-2019, 08:28 AM

I am on your side Drewski.