Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2024, 08:26 AM

Default Options for a basic, legal Will in Alberta?

I'm embarrassed to say that I do not have a legal Will. I will only have one beneficiary (also the executor). I do not expect any legal or family disputes, and I do not have any dependents.

Can anyone recommend easy, minimal cost, legal Will options in Alberta that they have personal experience with?
Old 04-09-2024, 08:31 AM

Simple, go see a lawyer and pay $400 to $600, ask a friend or relative who they dealt with, pretty easy procedure
Old 04-09-2024, 08:45 AM

Default Just do it right

Get a lawyer. There are other aspects of this like a major disability where you need a living will. Eliminate tough decisions for your loved ones. We did ours and I remember it costing about 1500 for my wife and I.it will be a tough enough time for your loved ones, don't make it worse having your estate go to the province to sort out.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:51 AM

I am in Edmonton, but our Office charges $750 for a basic Will, Advance Directive (Living Will), and Springing Power of Attorney.

When you are dead, your problems are really over!!

But if you are in a hospital bed for 3 months, unconscious, someone has to make some decisions for you. That is where the other two documents com into play.

Drewski
Old 04-09-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Get a lawyer. There are other aspects of this like a major disability where you need a living will. Eliminate tough decisions for your loved ones. We did ours and I remember it costing about 1500 for my wife and I.it will be a tough enough time for your loved ones, don't make it worse having your estate go to the province to sort out.
Good advice. A family member just died suddenly from heart attack.

No will. He didn't want to pay the $350 cost.

Now it's going to cost way way more than that as his small estate goes through probate.
Old 04-09-2024, 09:53 AM

Some library’s have the Will kits that registry’s sell.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I'm embarrassed to say that I do not have a legal Will. I will only have one beneficiary (also the executor). I do not expect any legal or family disputes, and I do not have any dependents.

Can anyone recommend easy, minimal cost, legal Will options in Alberta that they have personal experience with?
I’d do it right and use a lawyer. Then less problems maybe down the line. They give you a form to fill out and guidance. Then prepare it all. Go over it and explain how it works. Ours also stores a copy in their files. I’d also keep a copy at home and in a safety deposit box. Family should know where copies are including your executor.

It should be reviewed from time to time as life changes.

Our lawyer also said never leave an item to someone in your will as if it’s lost or stolen or broken and thrown out then the estate must buy another at what ever it costs. Wording is key like in the event you are in possession of such and such item upon your demise then it goes to so and so but only if you still had it readily found. Lawyer suggested gifting sentimental or heirloom items as soon as you feel comfortable.

Also wording needs to outline kids and when they get any inheritance and if someone died how it gets shared. And then if married how spouses are dealt with and if your kids have kids how they get inheritance. The form is very detailed and lawyers can say how a scenario commonly plays out.

Peace of mind knowing you haven’t made a major error is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
I am in Edmonton, but our Office charges $750 for a basic Will, Advance Directive (Living Will), and Springing Power of Attorney.

When you are dead, your problems are really over!!

But if you are in a hospital bed for 3 months, unconscious, someone has to make some decisions for you. That is where the other two documents com into play.

Drewski
Sound advice.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-09-2024, 10:12 AM

I spent the $350 to have my lawyer do the will and power of attorney for me. My mother living in Saskatoon paid over $500 for the same. I asked my lawyer why there would be such a difference, and she told me that they keep wll costs low, because of the number of seniors in my city, that are living on fixed incomes.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:22 AM

My advice is don't mess around, get a real lawyer !
Funny thing is , we didn't really think that there would be any issues over the years with anybody we knew that died as far as estates go, but some of the instances we were involved with are simply right out of the National Enquirer.
When I mentioned that to our estate lawyer he just laughed and said that in his profession they have a saying
" where there's a will there's a relative"!
Cat
Old 04-09-2024, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
My advice is don't mess around, get a real lawyer !
Funny thing is , we didn't really think that there would be any issues over the years with anybody we knew that died as far as estates go, but some of the instances we were involved with are simply right out of the National Enquirer.
When I mentioned that to our estate lawyer he just laughed and said that in his profession they have a saying

" where there's a will there's a relative"!
Cat
A fellow asked me why they call baby diapers Huggies, Luvs or Pampers, but adult undergarments are called Depends. He then told me because everyone wants to love, hug or pamper babies, but with seniors, it depends who is in the will.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A fellow asked me why they call baby diapers Huggies, Luvs or Pampers, but adult undergarments are called Depends. He then told me because everyone wants to love, hug or pamper babies, but with seniors, it depends who is in the will.
Priceless!!
Old 04-09-2024, 10:44 AM

Some say that "When there's a will, there's a family feud!"

When you're young its "Whatever" but when you're old it's "Depends"
Old 04-09-2024, 11:08 AM

People will spend ridiculous money, on the latest super duper scope for their top of the line 454 supermag rifle that they carry in their 1000cc race utv towed with their $95000 truck but get all frugal all of a sudden when it come time to pay a lawyer for any service whatsoever. 😂
Old 04-09-2024, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
People will spend ridiculous money, on the latest super duper scope for their top of the line 454 supermag rifle that they carry in their 1000cc race utv towed with their $95000 truck but get all frugal all of a sudden when it come time to pay a lawyer for any service whatsoever. 😂
Might be because there are many lawyers who are the stereotypical bottom feeders..... Have you been hurt? Call me, my number is on this billboard.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:07 PM

Default Might be a way

to lower the cost...

Hire some lawyer off AO, some really rabid outdoors guy

Backcharge him by the hour at minimum wage to listen to all the bull**** hunting and fishing stories, feign interest with terms like "wow that is huge" or "how long was that shot?"

Guys like Drewski will end up owing you for the will.

But make sure to hire a lawyer.
Zeke
Old 04-09-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I went to a presentation a few weeks ago, the going rate is now 1000. If things are not complicated, a holographic will in your handwriting, not machine produced is legal in Alberta. Still have my dads. I leave everything to my wife, signature affixed.

If you can afford all that stuff, you probably have an ex and are feuding with your kids. Better get a lawyer.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-09-2024, 05:57 PM

Not something to cheap out on. Get a lawyer to make one out. Like Elk said, some lawyers are cheaper, they understand a will is a necessity of life and charge accordingly. Phone around if the first one charges too much for you.
Old 04-09-2024, 06:45 PM

We bought a will kit at the registry office, looks exactly like my parents did that they had a lawyer do up. To be fair they are both very simple wills.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-10-2024, 11:42 AM

Any lawyers in the Calgary area to use? Or to stay away from?
Old 04-10-2024, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcast View Post
Any lawyers in the Calgary area to use? Or to stay away from?
For a lawyer it’s not that difficult a job however I would stick to one that has a dedicated lawyer/department. In fact many firms their staff works it then the lawyer checks and signs off.

Questions to ask.

Price?
Do they store a copy and if so for how long? Larger firms likely will. Maybe not smaller firms then ask how is it best to store copies?
How much are changes down the road?
Who will be doing the work in their shop?
Do they provide a detailed form to fill out?
Do they have suggestions and best processes?
How long will it take?

Also check with your company as their HR department may have a deal with a lawyer to have wills done.

Process we followed and we’re happy with the outcome.

Keeping it generic is key. For example.

If you have kids, split evenly. If one dies and has kids it shared by the kids. If no kids it get split between remaining kids. They have all that. No one is named.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-11-2024, 10:58 AM

^^^Solid advice - thanks!
Old 04-11-2024, 11:18 AM

I'm just at the tail end of a 1.5 year process of being executor/POA for a loved one. I hope I never have to do this again, but know I've already been named by another family member in her will.

Here is my take-use a lawyer. It's hard enough, and drawn-out enough when everything IS done right, and a proper will IS in place. In my case (and in allot of others I'm sure) you probably want to always engage professionals for anything tied to a person's affairs after they pass. (accountants for tax stuff and dealing with the government for clearance certificate application, lawyers for all the things they're overpaid for, etc.) If the person who passed had investments that kept earning in the calendar year after they passed, a tax return must be filed for THAT calendar year. All of this fun kicks-off while you're neck-deep in grief. It isn't what I expected when I said "sure!" decades ago, but I was naive. I still would have said yes, but I might have been better prepared when the time came too.

Really, it's a time to consider how difficult/easy you want to make it for the person tending to your affairs-to be perfectly blunt about it. My wife and I are about to put those words in to action ourselves, I was reminded that there are people named on ours (benficiarys) who died over 10 years ago, so very mucn NOT up to date. Pains me to spend $ on this too, but personally I think you pay now to smooth the way.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
Simple, go see a lawyer and pay $400 to $600, ask a friend or relative who they dealt with, pretty easy procedure
Agree. My parents lawyers office has will kits they make up. I bet most do. Get one for free, fill it out, go sit down and finalize it. Easy peasy and no worrying about some online one missing some important clause so to speak.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I'm just at the tail end of a 1.5 year process of being executor/POA for a loved one. I hope I never have to do this again, but know I've already been named by another family member in her will.

Here is my take-use a lawyer. It's hard enough, and drawn-out enough when everything IS done right, and a proper will IS in place. In my case (and in allot of others I'm sure) you probably want to always engage professionals for anything tied to a person's affairs after they pass. (accountants for tax stuff and dealing with the government for clearance certificate application, lawyers for all the things they're overpaid for, etc.) If the person who passed had investments that kept earning in the calendar year after they passed, a tax return must be filed for THAT calendar year. All of this fun kicks-off while you're neck-deep in grief. It isn't what I expected when I said "sure!" decades ago, but I was naive. I still would have said yes, but I might have been better prepared when the time came too.

Really, it's a time to consider how difficult/easy you want to make it for the person tending to your affairs-to be perfectly blunt about it. My wife and I are about to put those words in to action ourselves, I was reminded that there are people named on ours (benficiarys) who died over 10 years ago, so very mucn NOT up to date. Pains me to spend $ on this too, but personally I think you pay now to smooth the way.
X20 I lost my spouse over a year ago & still not completely done everything.
We had a solid (expensive at the time) will done by a lawyer. i cannot imagine
if we did not!It was like a lot of married people left to each other. PUT beneficiaries on whatever you can.I had to change all mine as they were left to my wife.Near a hundred hours on the phone with cra.Also dealing with children who believe they are entitled to what their mother had. Even though we both worked for it.I am in the process of re doing my will now as i have to
but you can be damn sure its thru a lawyer. I have spent a lot more money on less foolish things for sure!!! Just my $.02

Orv.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:23 PM

Do they store a copy and if so for how long? Larger firms likely will.

I asked that question. If your lawyer dies or goes out of business, apparently the Law Society deals with that.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 04-12-2024, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
We bought a will kit at the registry office, looks exactly like my parents did that they had a lawyer do up. To be fair they are both very simple wills.
We did the same then had them notarized.
Old 04-12-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
How true. A will should be viewed as an instrument that enables the Executor to close your ‘Estate Planning’ file.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:14 AM

Now you have me thinking hard on getting a legal document drawn up.

How does it work? I get one done for me for $700. My wife gets one done for $700. We get another one done in case both of us die at the same time for $700. So that is $2,100

Am I missing something?

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 04-12-2024, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Now you have me thinking hard on getting a legal document drawn up.

How does it work? I get one done for me for $700. My wife gets one done for $700. We get another one done in case both of us die at the same time for $700. So that is $2,100

Am I missing something?
get a price on joint wills
Old 04-12-2024, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
get a price on joint wills
Exactly. That's what we did, we recently got ours done together all at once.