Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM

Default Where to buy an after market stock for a savage axis

Hi all the wife wants a a laminate stock for her savage axis. I looked on boyds site but the axis wasnt listed. Does anyone have any suggestions where to find a stock that isnt going to be a small fortune? Any help is greatly appreciated. THANKS
Old 03-15-2013, 06:48 PM

www.stockysstocks.com

Dont know if they make one for the Axis

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM

This is one of the only reasons I have really thought about not getting an axis.
From all my research, there is not one that you can get, that doesn't include ALOT of work.
Most of it is because the recoil lug is built into the stock
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM

try http://www.boydsgunstocks.com. Usually have all kinds of stocks that are drop in for pretty reasonable prices <$100.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:21 PM

Bob Fortier did a cool build, if you happen to have unreal woodworking skills.

http://www.mysticprecision.com/wp/18...-bob-fortiers/

Doesn't help your cause, but I thought it was a neat project with an Axis.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 PM

i got a stock for my remington off of ebay.com, maybe give it a try
Old 03-16-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado04 View Post
Bob Fortier did a cool build, if you happen to have unreal woodworking skills.

http://www.mysticprecision.com/wp/18...-bob-fortiers/

Doesn't help your cause, but I thought it was a neat project with an Axis.
Is there anyone in the Edmonton area that manufactures stocks? That was a great link.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerfart View Post
Is there anyone in the Edmonton area that manufactures stocks? That was a great link.
You Can order a blank from Boyd's and do the inletting your self
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM

To be honest, there seems to be a huge market for these rifles and everyone is asking for a replacement stock, you'd think they'd start making th, the first company that does will make a killing!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM

Totally agree, but from what I have read, it would require 2 little metal pieces to hold in the magazine, and the recoil lug in the rear of the stock causes an issue as well.
I just picked up an axis myself, so I will be doing some heavy heavy research tonight, Ill be sure to post what I find!
Old 03-17-2013, 07:20 PM

Cool link silverado04.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Frick it is hard to find the contact info for Bob Fortier,
I dont speak/read much french so its going slow.
Have found atleast 50 pages of americans being jelous of Canadians for having him, and some have mentioned kidnapping him and dragging him to the states to pump out these stocks.. Could be why his darn email is so hard to get lol
Old 03-17-2013, 08:39 PM

That would be great if you posted your findings here, I've read so much on the savage axis that I'm almost tired if reading about it lol let us know if you find an aftermarket stock!!!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 PM

I have found a way to reach the master stocksmith (if that is a word, and if it isnt, it damn well should be)
I will let you know what I find, he seems to be really active and should hear from him in the next day or two tops.

I have found that he ships to Australians, and gives group buy discounts on shipping,
His work is beautiful. He also is the best to learn from in regards to this damn recoil lug.

I have found examples of people that have inletted a boyds blank, but they all seem to have to go to a single shot method.
Bob can make stocks that accept magazines, which I would greatly prefer.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:53 PM

All I did was glass bed the action and 1st 2" of the chamber. When I did this I removed material behind the lug and permanently bedded it in the stock. Terrible recoil lug design!! I also added 8 oz of buck shot in the rear stock and filled it with expansion foam. I ordered new (softer/shorter) trigger spring to get it down to around to a 3 lbs pull. 56.2 gr IMR 4831 and a 140 gr SST 3.325 COL. I was getting just over 1/2" MOA from a sled with a 200$ scope. Can be a very accurate rifle for next to no money. I agree though. Who ever makes a stock will make a mint!
Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Hi

Here I am. I did made some aftermarket stocks for the Savage Axis. I made them for most of 2012. The demande was very high, I had a thing going with a couple of Australians, and yes, I was offer a one way ticket to the US.

However mid-november I had to stop making these. I got a promotion at my day job and I could not spend as many hours in the shop. There is indeed a need to fabricate a couple of metal parts so the stocks could accept magazine. There are 2 different inletting, one for 25-06, 270 and 30-06, and another for all other cartridges. I also offered single shot, but never built one for a customer.

Feel free to ask question, however I do not plan to make stocks again anytime soon, and I have none left at home.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Bob
You just broke my heart
Welcome to the forum tho!!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:16 PM

Welcome BOB good to have you here

I will second the broken heart!! I was hoping you might have one left.

VtecNgsr
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 AM

Default Stock Build

I am gonna take this as a challenge to see if I can build a comfortable accurate axis stock, been looking at picking up a .223 and this seems like the perfect project I have been looking for. Just got to source out the best deal on a basic rifle and try to hunt down a couple stock blanks ? Heading down through edmonton-calgary and onto the the coast in a couple weeks where could I pick up one on the way ?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 AM

I have some blanks left, baltic birch plywood
Old 03-19-2013, 10:48 AM

I'm up to the challenge as well. Gonna go Bob's route however. Just picked up some 7 ply cherry plywood and I'm gonna build a laminate bench stock for a Rem 700 in 280 rem. Gonna use the plate idea and make it a single feed target action. I'm gonna do a play by play photo diary and post a thread when it's completed. Why not!! Thanks for the inspiration bob. Wish me luck!

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma
Old 03-20-2013, 07:47 PM

I was thinking I might just pick up a Boyds thumb hole for either the 110, 111 or the 116, then make it work for the Axis I have in 30-06.

as my spare time is very limited, my Three year old takes up most all of my spare time, so with most all the work done and just needing to cut the lug hole as best I can tell I would hope maybe I could get it done this year......
.... maybe

...... as he looks out to the garage and the engine that still needs to be put back together for the 2 door hot hatch. three years later mostly in the same condition....

Maybe

VtecNgsr
Old 03-21-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
I was thinking I might just pick up a Boyds thumb hole for either the 110, 111 or the 116, then make it work for the Axis I have in 30-06.

as my spare time is very limited, my Three year old takes up most all of my spare time, so with most all the work done and just needing to cut the lug hole as best I can tell I would hope maybe I could get it done this year......
.... maybe

...... as he looks out to the garage and the engine that still needs to be put back together for the 2 door hot hatch. three years later mostly in the same condition....

Maybe

VtecNgsr
Let me know how this works out, I'd say you'd have lots of work ahead of you but if you can do it simple enough show us some pics!

Kevin
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 AM

The Axis has the same footprint as the 10/110. But the recoil lug is designed to stay with the stock. you could do some extensive engineering and fit a boyds stock for the axis by bedding the lug to the stock, but youd have to secure the lug to the action for the bedding process and permanently bed the lug to the new stock. It would be a huge PITA but maybe worth it..
Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 PM

http://www.biggamehunt.net/reviews/s...e-rifle-review

Theres a site that displays some of the interiors of the axis, and compares it to a stevens 200 stock.

This is seeming very possible, just requiring some patience and sweat equity.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 AM

Until they actually make replacement stocks here's a little walk through to bed the rifle to make it a little more sturdy. I was thinking of doing this to mine.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...e-Easy-Take-II

Kevin
Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I figured out what to do with it..... sell it and bought a savage LADY HUNTER lol. It fits her way better and shoots great. No doubt the axis is made for a person on a budget and was a great gun for the price, and when someone makes a few up grades for these they should make a killing. Thanks again for all the great links and answers.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:27 PM

I have been doing R&D for my ongoing axis stock build. Here is a good video explaining how to cut the action and magazine channel..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evNPA5iLzdg
Old 03-31-2013, 06:04 AM

I considered the issue if changing the stock and found a solution - take the money I would spend on finding / building an aftermarket and not buy the axis but instead spend a little more on a gun with available aftermarket parts (cause I am lazy I guess)
Old 04-12-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baptiste_moose View Post
I'm up to the challenge as well. Gonna go Bob's route however. Just picked up some 7 ply cherry plywood and I'm gonna build a laminate bench stock for a Rem 700 in 280 rem. Gonna use the plate idea and make it a single feed target action. I'm gonna do a play by play photo diary and post a thread when it's completed. Why not!! Thanks for the inspiration bob. Wish me luck!
How did this work out. The plywood I tried was only maple on the outsides and something else(aspen maybe?) inside. It was almost impossible to work with.