Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 AM

Default Ordering arrows online

Does anyone know if customs charges duty on arrows bought from the US? Looking at ordering some Victory's. Also anyone recommend an online retailer? Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Old 12-14-2017, 07:31 AM

Local shops carry Victory like Jim Bows.

LC
Old 12-14-2017, 08:05 AM

What do they charge for custom fletching?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughgoat View Post
Does anyone know if customs charges duty on arrows bought from the US? Looking at ordering some Victory's. Also anyone recommend an online retailer? Thanks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
I have ordered three dozen Victory Vaps online over the years. I always get them from amazon. Free shipping and a lot cheaper. They wont come cut but they will come fletched. you will need them cut and outserts glued in.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:29 PM

I used to order my Victory arrows online fletched and cut but Lawrence at Accurate Archery got me my last dozen
Old 12-14-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Not sure, give them a shout. I think if you buy arrows there, fletching is included.

LC
Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 AM

Shop local when you can guys! There are a few places that will be able to help you out.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:21 PM

Default I believe

Quote:
Don't quote me but I believe it is around $2 an arrow. Not positive but the guys at JimBows will do it up right for you! Shop local and the stores will grow and be able to continue providing great service.

Morb
Old 12-15-2017, 03:27 PM

I try to support the local stores, once they're gone they're gone. Sometimes I'llput in a big order online for the little doodads that I cant get locally.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdaddy View Post
Shop local when you can guys! There are a few places that will be able to help you out.
I understand the importance of shopping local but prices are so jacked up and our shops need a lesson on customer service. You don't get ignored or talked down to shopping online. my .02
Old 12-18-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remps17 View Post
I understand the importance of shopping local but prices are so jacked up and our shops need a lesson on customer service. You don't get ignored or talked down to shopping online. my .02
Lots of good shops providing good service... I bet some shops wish some customers would shop online too

LC
Old 01-04-2018, 05:13 PM

Jimbows or Accurate Archery will do you right. Excellent old fashioned service.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM

Does Jim Bows spine test and index arrows?

The BEST arrows I have ever got built were by Jerry at South Shore Archery in Florida.

He spine indexes the arrows and they are perfectly made, numbered stickers included and boxed perfectly.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
Does Jim Bows spine test and index arrows?

The BEST arrows I have ever got built were by Jerry at South Shore Archery in Florida.

He spine indexes the arrows and they are perfectly made, numbered stickers included and boxed perfectly.
Yes and No, they do as part of a super tune but not on every dozen arrows sold. I know a guy with a Ram Tester and I have been indexing my arrows.

LC
Old 03-19-2018, 02:17 PM

I have always had good service at jimbows and I will vouch for them over Calgary archery any day. But I order my arrows online $54us for a dozen gold tip hunter xt. I just can’t justify paying the prices here in Canada.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:22 PM

I use Jerry at Southshore, cheaper, spine tested and all on the same jig!
Old 03-19-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I have always had good service at jimbows and I will vouch for them over Calgary archery any day. But I order my arrows online $54us for a dozen gold tip hunter xt. I just can’t justify paying the prices here in Canada.
You have a link I can follow for this price?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
You have a link I can follow for this price?
They put them on this web sight. www.Huntoftheday.com the arrows show up probably 6 times a year when they do I grab a dozen they do lots of different arrows and others gear kinda annoying all the emails because it’s mostly badlands and Sitka clothing. But good stuff shows up a just ordered a bee stinger 10” for $50. The deal only lasts the day so don’t hesitate. I missed out on the last set of arrows in feb.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:19 PM

Got all my VAP's from JimBows in Calgary. Really good guys. They even replaced my old green outserts with the new SHOK outserts for free for me on my old dozen. The VAP's already come spine aligned so no need.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodeemus1 View Post
Got all my VAP's from JimBows in Calgary. Really good guys. They even replaced my old green outserts with the new SHOK outserts for free for me on my old dozen. The VAP's already come spine aligned so no need.
The spine alignment that Victory puts on their arrows is done by using the blemish line visible on the inside of the arrow. While theoretically this should be the stiff plane on the arrow, it often is not. In my limited testing of Victory arrows (about 4 dozen), their spine align matches with true spine about 50% of the time (which is about the same as every other manufacturer if going by the blemish line). If you nock and group tune your arrows, I'm confident that your spine alignment index would not be consistent throughout your dozen arrows.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlou View Post
The spine alignment that Victory puts on their arrows is done by using the blemish line visible on the inside of the arrow. While theoretically this should be the stiff plane on the arrow, it often is not. In my limited testing of Victory arrows (about 4 dozen), their spine align matches with true spine about 50% of the time (which is about the same as every other manufacturer if going by the blemish line). If you nock and group tune your arrows, I'm confident that your spine alignment index would not be consistent throughout your dozen arrows.
I agree. I have checked 2 dozen, one dozen vx25 and one dozen vap and found about 1/3 of the alignment marks were good after nock tuning.

Norm
Old 03-20-2018, 08:25 AM

Agree with the two guys above. Dynamic spine tuning is the best way, it’s the “proof in the pudding” way. Tim Gillingham put out a great video about nock tuning bare shafts to determine dynamic spine.

LC
Old 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Agree with the two guys above. Dynamic spine tuning is the best way, it’s the “proof in the pudding” way. Tim Gillingham put out a great video about nock tuning bare shafts to determine dynamic spine.

LC
It's difficult to bare shaft tune when you don't fletch your own arrows though. Indexing for static spine is the best way for avg joe hunter. Disappointing JimBows doesn't do that, doesn't take very long.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
It's difficult to bare shaft tune when you don't fletch your own arrows though. Indexing for static spine is the best way for avg joe hunter. Disappointing JimBows doesn't do that, doesn't take very long.
How many other places do it? If you pay for a supertune they encorporate the tuned arrows. No other places offer a supertune locally and as far as I know no other places index/spine tune arrows as part of selling a regular dozen arrow shafts fletched.

You could bareshaft/paper tune yourself (as per Tim Gillingham method), mark your arrows/nocks and then have someone fletch them for you. The arrows really need to be shot from the bow they are being used in to tune properly.

LC
Old 03-20-2018, 08:38 PM

Thanks for the info guys. So does that mean that the "flyer" I get when I shoot 1/2 doz may be out of tune? 5 group fine and one always lands right of my grouping.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodeemus1 View Post
Thanks for the info guys. So does that mean that the "flyer" I get when I shoot 1/2 doz may be out of tune? 5 group fine and one always lands right of my grouping.
If it’s always the same arrow it could be.

LC
Old 03-22-2018, 07:37 AM

There is a bunch of arrow deals posted on “hunt of the day”
Old 03-22-2018, 03:15 PM

Yes some good deals on hunt of the day but the darn Hunter XT are camo and I don’t need to pay extra for the camo so I will wait till the non camo go onsale.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:24 PM

I was looking for the GT's in a 300 spine, no luck. Axis in a 300 but I like using the FACT weights for fine tuning BH flight, so it is GT's for me.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:25 PM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I was looking for the GT's in a 300 spine, no luck. Axis in a 300 but I like using the FACT weights for fine tuning BH flight, so it is GT's for me.
I shoot GT Hunter XT 300 and they are a very good arrow.

Morb