Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 03:59 PM

Default Devcon 10110 Steel Putty

Had to order a new tub of Devcon as my old one ran out. For the first time in many orders Amazon Canada was the cheapest option at 119, next day delivery on prime. All the places I usually order from were significantly more expensive this time around. The one pound tub does a lot of rifles so while it sounds expensive, on a per gun basis it isn't bad at all. For you guys that just have one or two guns to do, sharing a tub or buying some off someone with a tub makes a lot of sense.

Other tip, if you have an older tub that has stiffened up, do not add anything to it. Sit the tub in real hot water or carefully use a heat gun, and it will thin out nicely. Once you mix the catalyst into it, it will stay nice and pliable at least till it starts to set up.
Old 02-25-2024, 05:34 PM

Thx for the heads up I just used up my last few OZ's. I looked and the last tub I purchased was in Oct of 2021 from Greg Distributors and paid 106$
Old 02-25-2024, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
if you have an older tub that has stiffened up, do not add anything to it. Sit the tub in real hot water or carefully use a heat gun, and it will thin out nicely.

Really?
Last year I went to do another rifle and found new 1lb tub......had been stored in my "safe spot"....had turned hard so I threw it out.....duhhhh....
Old 02-25-2024, 06:02 PM

After the first use I take mine out of the tub, put into food saver bags and vacuum seal. When I want to use I cut a corner, squeeze out what I want and reseal, next use cut off a different corner. Every fourth use I squeeze into a new bag and I am off again. Keeps for a long time if there is no air.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-25-2024, 07:07 PM

I one does warm up , let it cool before mixing with hardener , being warm accelerates the curing time significantly !
Old 02-25-2024, 07:16 PM

thanks for the information - mine is dried-up and hard.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
After the first use I take mine out of the tub, put into food saver bags and vacuum seal. When I want to use I cut a corner, squeeze out what I want and reseal, next use cut off a different corner. Every fourth use I squeeze into a new bag and I am off again. Keeps for a long time if there is no air.
Cool idea. I am going to try that. Don't usually have a tub long enough to be a problem but this sounds worth doing even if you use the tub in under 18 months.

Prairieboy I have bought from them in the past too, and lots of other places. First time Amazon was ever even close to the cheapest.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:26 AM

Mine doesn’t harden up as quick, or get as hard. (I’m talking about my devcon haha). It’s about 15 yrs old (see, it really is my devcon!)
Old 03-02-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
So after doing the 1710, I took and put three batches into Ziploc bags and squeezed all the air out. I left a control batch in the Tub with the top on tight. Will be very interested to see if there is any difference over the period I go through it in. Guy can always learn new tricks. Just for s**tz and giggles I might even try freezing one of the Ziploc batches to see if that has any effect.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-02-2024 at 01:46 PM.