Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-24-2023, 11:30 AM

Default Which Shotgun for coyotes

I didn't want to derail Big Lou's 3-2-1 thread so I thought I'd create a new thread for those in the know.

What type of shotgun is preferred when calling in coyotes? I too have been busted many times by a coyote coming in from the wrong direction only to have me empty my gun on a fleeting zig zagging target.

For the record I do not own one, am not a shotgunner, I've shot them and consider myself a decent shot with them, how can you miss when you're putting out pellets.

Tactical vs hunting shotguns, is barrel length that important for coyotes?

Flame away.......
Old 12-24-2023, 12:08 PM

I’ve got a benelli supernova tactical that works great. Ghost ring sights work well, and I put the magazine extension on it.
Old 12-24-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
how can you miss when you're putting out pellets
Is this a rhetorical question, or are you looking for pointers?
Because I'm really good at missing things with pellets...
Old 12-24-2023, 12:34 PM

Hello. I’m no expert by any means but I’ll field my two bits from my own experiences. I currently run a Benelli Vinci with a Patter Master and launching #4 buck in 2 3/4” rounds. It’s a good combo. It’s about as light weight as I can ask for. I can get it up to my shoulder easily with one hand if need be. It fits me well and is easy to point, fast handling. Personally, I prefer an auto after running pumps, but that’s just me. On only one occasion has it been so cold that I experienced any sort of malfunction. It was so cold that I was getting light primer strikes with my rifle, sucked them in close enough for the shotgun and after shooting one, the empty case did not fully eject from battery and was sideways in the breech, holding the action open. I’ve been Uber diligent on keeping it super clean since that event. Only synthetic lubricants.

I’ve used pumps and over/unders as well. Pumps are totally fine and usable. I’m not a huge fan of an O/U after employing for said task. I’ve been giving some heavy consideration to a folding stock of some sort on an auto along with a touch shorter pipe. Just because packing two guns, I could keep at least one portion of things more compact for the walks in and out. What I’m using isn’t a bad system though, so no real desire to change things unless I find a need.

Really, anything will serve the purpose. Just stay away from glossy finishes. I prefer some sort of protective finish. It will get full of snow and wet. Rust will happen. So as much as you can do to prevent it off the hop, is money well spent.

Stick with shot sizes BB through #4 buck. 00 thumps them but not enough pellets in the pattern for the purpose in my opinion. 2 3/4” have proved fine. 3” if you want to throw more pellets of course. Don’t get hung up on chokes. Whatever gives you the best pattern - run with it.
Old 12-24-2023, 12:44 PM

Something in a semi auto with 3" or a 3 1/2" chamber, IM or Full choke, BB lead shot or the specialized coyote loads ( most are BB ) will both work fine, 26" or 28" barrel, Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, and many more manufacturers make these guns, easy to find new or used just depends on your budget.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-24-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
I didn't want to derail Big Lou's 3-2-1 thread so I thought I'd create a new thread for those in the know.

What type of shotgun is preferred when calling in coyotes? I too have been busted many times by a coyote coming in from the wrong direction only to have me empty my gun on a fleeting zig zagging target.

For the record I do not own one, am not a shotgunner, I've shot them and consider myself a decent shot with them, how can you miss when you're putting out pellets.

Tactical vs hunting shotguns, is barrel length that important for coyotes?

Flame away.......

I would be happy to put on a clinic for those who wish to learn how to miss when throwing pellets
Old 12-24-2023, 01:58 PM

I would be comfortable using either of my waterfowl guns, with 3" loads of lead BB. And if you are used to sporting clays rabbit targets, coyotes aren't that difficult.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:11 PM

Really what it comes down to is what you can shoot well. If your experience with shotguns is in conventional stocks then don't get a tactical pistol grip style. I have run a few different shotguns and have found that if it doesn't fit it doesn't matter what kind of sight you have as you will end up missing. I tried forever to get a 14 inch barrel single shot to work but even after mounting a red dot to it I still got caught in the moment and swung and missed multiple times.
Currently I am running my waterfowl gun which is a browning Maxus. It tends to be a bit finicky in the extreme cold so when funds allow I will likely go to a Winchester sxp or Winchester sx4 because I know they fit and I shoot them well.
Pick what comes natural and fits nice as when a coyote is in shotgun range it's pure instinct with very little time to think and aim.

When it comes to chokes and shot sizes anything that throws a good pattern of bb to $4 buck will do the job. Hornady 3inch BB is my go to but have used 4buck, steel T's, hevi shot BB etc etc currently testing some hevi shot B that I found cheap. 00buck works well if they are close but at distance the pattern gets too big.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-24-2023, 02:15 PM

I am running a mav 88 12g with dead dog coyote choke and 2 3/4" #4buck and fiber optic bead sights mounted on the rib. I used to use a 24" canuck tactical with the same choke/ load but sold it. The old mav 88 is my do all scatter gun so i just make it work. I do prefer a 42" barrel over a 28 when swinging on dogs and for packing but its not a big deal. Find yourself a shot gun that you like, put a good restricted choke on it and run your choice of shot. It will kill coyotes.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:43 PM

I’m just using a revolutionary arms clone of a Benelli M4. Either 2-3/4” #4 buck or 3 inch BB seems to work fairly well.
Old 12-24-2023, 02:48 PM

My 870 pump has rolled up many a coyote. I like 3 1/2 inch BB. A automatic is likely a better option the pump works.
Old 12-24-2023, 05:58 PM

Definitely looking at a semi auto, trying to decide between tactical type or a long barrel. The Beretta A300 or 1301 look appealing plus they can double up for when the zombies come.....lol

Thanks for all of the advice and opinions...
Old 12-24-2023, 06:49 PM

I really like my 1301. One of the comp models with the 21” or 24” barrel might be a decent compromise for you.