Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2023, 10:03 AM

Default Parks Canada Paying NZ sharpshooters to kill deer....

From the "Just how ignorant is the federal government files"

https://globalnews.ca/news/10185169/...eer-cull-cost/

From Global news:
"A controversial program to eradicate invasive deer from an island on the B.C. coast is facing new criticism, this time over cost.

Parks Canada concluded the first phase in its plan to eliminate the European fallow deer population on Sidney Island this month.

Three marksmen from the U.S. and New Zealand used a helicopter to kill 84 deer between Dec. 1 and Dec. 11.

The work so far has cost more than $800,000, and officials have confirmed that about 20 per cent of the animals killed were native black-tailed deer."

But, it's all ok because the local FN has approved it and they're getting all the meat. So, all good. -my sarcasm....

Nothing surprises me anymore. Nothing.
Old 12-22-2023, 10:24 AM

Yeah, really economical and sane !
Cat
Old 12-22-2023, 10:33 AM

And apparently, they are using ARs with 30 round mags and suppressors, even though they aren't law enforcement or military.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...land-deer-kill
Old 12-22-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And apparently, they are using ARs with 30 round mags and suppressors, even though they aren't law enforcement or military.

I read that, but then a recent article said the marksman in the helicopter took down the deer with just one or two shots.

Original article from a couple months back said the helicopter would be spraying bullets from high above hence the high round magazines.

Interesting how that's changed...
Old 12-22-2023, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Special circumstances but that is beside the point.
I know of a contactor who has since past ( RIP Rico)
Who 2as authorized to use suppressors but could not get permission to hold a seminar on them to Corrections officers!
Makes mo sense but doesn't have to, but then neither does a "22 gauge"!
Cat
Old 12-22-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
I read that, but then a recent article said the marksman in the helicopter took down the deer with just one or two shots.

Original article from a couple months back said the helicopter would be spraying bullets from high above hence the high round magazines.

Interesting how that's changed...
It doesn't matter if they fired one shot or twenty at a deer they should not be allowed to possess banned firearms and devices prohibited to be used by Canadian citizens.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:36 AM

I guess ARs really are evil. If all those native species of deer were also killed. I can see it in the next liberal campaign. Native deer killed with assault rifle.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2023, 11:41 AM

Our tax dollars at work!

Can't wait til this moron is no longer running our country.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:43 AM

800 kg of meat salvaged from 84 deer....

$1000 a kilogram for this treat.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-22-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

This is the biggest issue for me, I am certain it could have been done at a fraction of the cost without inconvenience to the residents.
Cat
Old 12-22-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
This is the biggest issue for me, I am certain it could have been done at a fraction of the cost without inconvenience to the residents.
Cat
They could have held a resident hunt, with residents paying for the hunt.
Old 12-22-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Yes , but there would have to be a number of assurances as the place is highly populated from what I understand.
Putting on a draw with random applicants is a recipe for disaster, the Taber deer cull comes to mind.
The solution I have is not what many here would like to see, in fact some would lose their minds over it, but then I have no say in how it goes.
I have bigger issues to worry about besides something that has no direct impact on me or what I can't control.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-22-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-22-2023, 12:33 PM

Default typical Gov't

idiots
Old 12-22-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah you clearly are not familiar with how hippie that part of B.C. is

There are a number of islands where fallow or blacktail or both are in high numbers to the point they are a pest. They are legal to hunt but your odds of being granted permission to hunt is basically not impossible. Years ago B.C. made fallow no closed season and no bag limit because they are invasive but do to the access issues that doesn’t do anything. They have even expanded their range over this time period

Part of the island’s are also no hunting.

Over 20years ago there was a draw for fallow/blacktail on Sidney spit but it was shut down.

The opposition to hunting is pretty high
Old 12-22-2023, 01:26 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Definitely a skill out of a helicopter but why not just let locals have at it for a few years or so?
I bet the meat would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-22-2023, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Cat
Of course it could have, but the local band office didnt want to organize a work party to tcb....
Old 12-22-2023, 02:16 PM

This is just crazy. I’m a Canadian citizen. I have a AR that has been sitting doing nothing for over 3 years. They could have hired me and I would have been glad to have helped them out for half the cost..

Seriously though, hippies, tree huggers, the B.C and federal governments. How much more stupidity can you really expect. I’m actually surprised they aren’t shooting them with sling shots out of a glider to prevent noise pollution..
Old 12-22-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Definitely a skill out of a helicopter but why not just let locals have at it for a few years or so?
I bet the meat would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Between public opposition in that area and the NDP it’s not happening

The QCI had a cull in a park using nz sharp shooters too a few years back. There it was nothing to do with local opposition and just the NDP
Old 12-22-2023, 02:22 PM

I can’t believe this
Old 12-22-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter if they fired one shot or twenty at a deer they should not be allowed to possess banned firearms and devices prohibited to be used by Canadian citizens.
I dont disagree. Every article I read makes me lol even more.

First they justify 30 round magazines are needed to shoot quick and fast from a helicopter while spraying the ground, and then a recent one I read said the vast majority of deer were taken with one shot.

That's impossible if the helicopter was used as intended.

Seems like to me that they didn't even shoot that many.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:22 PM

Default Wait What?

I thought Trudeau said you don’t need an AR15 to kill a deer!
I guess he proved himself wrong.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmsmith View Post
I dont disagree. Every article I read makes me lol even more.

First they justify 30 round magazines are needed to shoot quick and fast from a helicopter while spraying the ground, and then a recent one I read said the vast majority of deer were taken with one shot.

That's impossible if the helicopter was used as intended.

Seems like to me that they didn't even shoot that many.
Quite the contrary, actually. It would be ridiculous is they were spraying the ground trying to shoot a deer. They are quite good at what they do. Find some videos on youtube of these (or similar) fellas culling pigs and other animals and you would be quite surprised how effective they are and how many they can kill with one of those mags. If I recall correctly, some pig videos were posted here not long ago, but can’t remember the thread.

This is not to say that what took place is the right way to go about it, but to assume that there are donkeys with ar rifles spraying the ground and animals with bullets is not correct.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
I thought Trudeau said you don’t need an AR15 to kill a deer!
I guess he proved himself wrong.
That.

Boy O Boy...Getting sick and tired with all this hypocrisy...
Old 12-22-2023, 06:25 PM

The Deer Management Society hunt shot 54 deer on Sidney Island this year, for FREE.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Yes , but there would have to be a number of assurances as the place is highly populated from what I understand.
Putting on a draw with random applicants is a recipe for disaster, the Taber deer cull comes to mind.
The solution I have is not what many here would like to see, in fact some would lose their minds over it, but then I have no say in how it goes.
I have bigger issues to worry about besides something that has no direct impact on me or what I can't control.
Cat
It's actually very sparsly populated. 40 some years ago I lived in Sydney which is only a few km boat ride to Sidney island. I knew people who had permission though I never got an invite. The island at that time wasn't overun with them. It was almost like they were managed properly! But as the hippies and environmentalist movement gained influence over the island it became harder and harder to get permission. What few connected hunters who did get to hunt there it wasn't rare for them to get harrassed by a certain informal group of dope growing anti's.

What a waste of good hunting opportunity. It has turned into a gov't slaughter. Wonder what the hippies think of that.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Wow !! hose were some HUGE fallow deer to get almost 100kg's of meat from each deer.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
What a waste of good hunting opportunity. It has turned into a gov't slaughter. Wonder what the hippies think of that.
For sure. This is the part I do not get about the “environmentalist” thinking at all. Sure, animals, nature, as intended, cute bambies and majestic bucks/bulls, mean hunters, whatever - all can be understood as in different strokes for different folks or whatever. But the fact that it always ends in cull and straight up slaughter rather than ethical hunting and meat consumption (which probably reduces beef consumptions as well, which some of them do not appreciate either, lol) is completely mind boggling to me. And a freaking expensive exercise at that too. Just complete lack of logic.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
Wow !! hose were some HUGE fallow deer to get almost 100kg's of meat from each deer.
That’d be less than 10 per deer, haha. 84 deer at 100kg per deer would make it 8.4 tonnes of meat.
Old 12-22-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
That’d be less than 10 per deer, haha. 84 deer at 100kg per deer would make it 8.4 tonnes of meat.

LOL, I see I need to attend a math class soon ....
Old 12-22-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
Especially considering that the live weight of most fallow deer is less than 100kg.