Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-01-2024, 07:54 AM

Default Hearing protection while hunting.

I use hearing protection (plugs/muffs)when at the range or shooting targets at home but when hunting I don’t use because I can’t hear what’s going on around me. Do you stop and install heating protection? Wear hearing protection all the time? I’m looking for a solution where I can walk and hear the surroundings clearly and simple solution for hearing protection.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:06 AM

I use the corded rubber type plugs, just have them around my neck and pop them in before shooting. 99% of the time there is time to do it.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:08 AM

I wear ear plugs in a goose blind , but otherwise, I don't bother, but I don't own braked rifles.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:26 AM

I have often thought about this as well.

My question is to the people who are prescribed hearing aids. I am told that in a room of people if you turn up the volume to hear, actually only increases the grey noise in the room and makes hearing more difficult.

Having said that, and you are in a hunting situation (not a goose blind) by turning up your hearing aids does that make your surroundings more acute to you....i.e. twigs cracking birds chirping etc?

Does it enhance the noises you wouldn't normally hear?

Thanks

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertajeff View Post
I use hearing protection (plugs/muffs)when at the range or shooting targets at home but when hunting I don’t use because I can’t hear what’s going on around me. Do you stop and install heating protection? Wear hearing protection all the time? I’m looking for a solution where I can walk and hear the surroundings clearly and simple solution for hearing protection.
^ I've thought about this as well. I own 2 pairs of electronic muffs that have the ability to amplify surrounding noises (better hearing while walking/sitting) but then shut down when a sharp noise (clap/gun shot) is present. Plus they would also act like an extra set of ear muffs in colder weather (cause I'm whimpy like that )

But I always seem to forget them when running out the door to hunt. Maybe my second pair should reside in my hunting pack?

J.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:41 AM

Walkers game ears. Not sure if they protect but know they help hearing while hunting.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
^ I've thought about this as well. I own 2 pairs of electronic muffs that have the ability to amplify surrounding noises (better hearing while walking/sitting) but then shut down when a sharp noise (clap/gun shot) is present. Plus they would also act like an extra set of ear muffs in colder weather (cause I'm whimpy like that )

But I always seem to forget them when running out the door to hunt. Maybe my second pair should reside in my hunting pack?

J.
Same here, except they’re always in my pack. Pack comes to range and pack goes hunting.
Tullfan
Old 01-01-2024, 10:58 AM

I hate muffs as they always interfere with proper cheevk weld. I do have electronic in ear plugs that work great for hunting but i often dont remember to bring them. I do keep a set of plugs on a neck band hangung on my truck mirror which i can wear around my neck then pop in just before the shot... lots of ways to skin that cat!
Old 01-01-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Walkers game ears. Not sure if they protect but know they help hearing while hunting.
I actually tried a set while doing a course at the range, but it was windy, and it was very annoying.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I actually tried a set while doing a course at the range, but it was windy, and it was very annoying.
Yes the wind is annoying with walkers on, I usually only wear mine in the goose blind or when we're at the bench doing long range, I just turn the volume down a bit if it's windy, they are great for hearing when others are talking at least I can hear what they are saying.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Yes the wind is annoying with walkers on, I usually only wear mine in the goose blind or when we're at the bench doing long range, I just turn the volume down a bit if it's windy, they are great for hearing when others are talking at least I can hear what they are saying.
Also another thing about most of the muffs is the band goes overtop your head so if you wear a hat or Touque it never fits properly. There are behind the neck bands but hard to find with electronic muffs.

The wind noise is very annoying with any kind of electronic muffs for sure.

I have tried the ear plugs that come with the firm plastic neck band but man if you turn your head or rub clothing on that band it just amplifies in the plugs and makes things worse.
Old 01-01-2024, 12:45 PM

https://store.theshootingcentre.com/...uery=decibullz

I'll be checking these out. One of their models has a check valve of sorts, that works like the electronic ones. Not sure how well they'll be for hunting, but I'm going to pick up a set. I'll use them at work and at the range and see how they do.

Right now, I do use either plugs or muffs. I normally have the muffs close to my ears so as I can just pull them down. They are electronic but as was mentioned, windy days it sucks with them.
As far as being in the way for a cheek weld, 100% agree. However, I have been trying the jaw weld technique instead. Head stays in the same place, but no need for a cheek riser, which is typically what gets in the way. It won't work with all setups, so you'll have to experiment for yourself.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:07 PM

Call Claude he's local in Sherwood park, I have a couple set of hims custom molded ones that I use for trap shooting, very good product.

https://safeandsoundhearingsolutions.ca/

Old 01-01-2024, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Call Claude he's local in Sherwood park, I have a couple set of hims custom molded ones that I use for trap shooting, very good product.

https://safeandsoundhearingsolutions.ca/
I use his molded plugs for skeet and sporting clays. Mine have the valve, so that I can hear voices better.
Old 01-01-2024, 01:35 PM

When at he shooting range hearing protection is mandatory as you are in a war zone. However when hunting and probably shooting 1-3 shots per season does not seem ear plugs necessary, need to hear game rustle leaves or break a stick.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:34 PM

i carry 3M ear muffs around my bino harness or on my head always while hunting. I just set into position before shooting and its an incredible safety method after shooting. My family members use walkers game muffs that help with hearing as well. I highly recommend using hearing protection.
Old 01-01-2024, 04:45 PM

Default It makes me wonder

when I'm at the range and I see people with thousands of $$$ worth of guns, scopes and electronic equipment, spotting scopes, chronographs and range finders and you see them at the bench shooting with a 10 cent foam ear plug stuck in their ear

Old 01-01-2024, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
When at he shooting range hearing protection is mandatory as you are in a war zone. However when hunting and probably shooting 1-3 shots per season does not seem ear plugs necessary, need to hear game rustle leaves or break a stick.
I was the same then a random single shot and my left ear went totally deaf scared the h ll out of me, after several minutes hearing returned. I'm guessing that all the unprotected damage to my ears created finally took its toll. Many instances took my eyes and ears for granted like most now as I've gotten older (Hopefully wiser) I'm very cautious and use eye and ear protection.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
I use these at the range if shooting in a league so I can hear range commands as well as in the gopher patch. If I am shooting at the range by myself I use both solid foam plugs and the heavier industrial style ear muffs which have a higher Db rating then the Walkers.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:14 AM

I have tinnitus. I also used to wear hearing protection at the range, but not while hunting. In addition, I was not smart enough to wear hearing protection while working around loud equipment for many years.

One day while hunting antelope, I shot one and once the gun went off, my ears literally hurt. For about 2-3 months afterward, my ears became hypersensitive to higher pitched noises and would literally make jump.

I now use ear plugs when running any kind of equipment (lawnmower included) and I also use electronic ear muffs when rifle hunting. They work awesome, and I wish I had been proactive enough to wear them long beforehand.
Old 01-02-2024, 02:22 PM

I started using hearing protection when hunting.

I use these and they're great! I can turn up/down the noise around me and they block out shot noises every time. Also, if you are using them for working in the garage they can connect to bluetooth so you can listen to music or make calls when wearing them.

https://goaxil.com/collections/ear-b...cts/gx-extreme

They go on sale quite often.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:49 AM

Default ear protection

Inrecieved a pair of Walker Razors a couple years back,been very happ with there performance.360* inhanced sound until you shoot.Used them with multiple calibers small to large.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:26 PM

I carry and use 3M ear muffs when hunting and double protection at the range.

Due to noise exposure from hunting and work, I now have hearing aids. They greatly have increased the comfort level in a noisy environment and when in crowds. They are by no means a replacement for your hearing. Wear hearing protection whether its using a chainsaw, rounding nails or shooting the occasional shot while hunting. My tinnitus never goes away and if I am exposed to high noises, it gets worse. Whoever said silence s golden wasn't kidding, I will never experience silence again.

Bottom line, wear hearing protection. ALWAYS. Hearing loss due to noise exposure is cumulative and cannot be reversed. My 2 cents/
Old 01-03-2024, 10:01 PM

Talking

I have a earring aids specifically for hunting. The are called Soundgear, by Starkey hearing technologies. They have different settings for wind, road noise, etc. and volume on the three different settings. If I am in the stand and not making my own noise, I turn them up and I can hear a mouse fart at a hundred feet, but when I pull the trigger, they instantly turn into custom fit ear plugs. I got mine about eight years ago from Living sounds and they cost over $800.00 at the time. Yes they are not cheap, but wow, do I love hearing deer coming in long before I see them. You have to get used to them, because they make a coyote trotting by sounds like an elephant.
If I wear them ice fishing, I can hear how the other fishermen are doing when they are literally a few hundred yards away. Ohh, So thats what they are using to have that success, LOL.
Old 01-03-2024, 10:15 PM

I never wear any earplugs while hunting, and most times there is never any time to put any in or on. My touque does take out a few decibles of sound, so much so that they changed the design of it with different material over the ears now. Ears may be ringing but if you did our job, it is well worth it.